Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd October 2006, 08:26   #166
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for details. yes, the que software will work only with a Garmin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu
Shall post if that gives better results, at least for gurgaon.

I dont think i can run the que software with delhi map on any PDA, I need a garmin gps is what I heard. Is that right?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 08:52   #167
Senior - BHPian

Default GPS Signal & sun-film

Somewhere here a discussion was on about the sat signal & sunfilm on windscreen. In my recently acquired Scorpio I did the sun-filming by steel coated Lummar films; including the windscreen.

Though I've an ext antenna for my GPS unit, I used the GPS without it. The unit took no time in getting a fix and functioned without any hiccups. of course the ext antenna gives faster & better sat vision, Lummar film's performance was excellant..
Old 25th October 2006, 23:31   #168
BHPian

Ive been using my garmin 60cs in and around mumbai for the last couple of years now but always found a big gaping hole when it came to street level maps . The only ones i have so far are the tracks that ive mapped manually over the years .
I still havent been able to find a nice detailed street level map for the city and beyond.
NikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 07:54   #169
Senior - BHPian

NikN: try this for Garmin maps - http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealer...r+this+Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikN
Ive been using my garmin 60cs in and around mumbai for the last couple of years now but always found a big gaping hole when it came to street level maps . The only ones i have so far are the tracks that ive mapped manually over the years .
I still havent been able to find a nice detailed street level map for the city and beyond.
Old 26th October 2006, 08:57   #170
BHPian

Thanks a bunch gd. ill give them a call, drop by and see what I can come up with .
Will let u guys know if I do manage to find a descent sourcemap too.
NikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 15:40   #171
BHPian

Satnav (the guys who sell destinator maps) have come out with a festive offer...
Rs. 4990 for destnator software + 3 maps (delhi/mumbai/hyd).
I think its a good deal...
even though I have the destinator 6 software already, i did go for this.
Will report how the destinator map behaves (compared to mapking, specially for gurgaon...).
manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 18:21   #172
BHPian

Hey Manu..thats a good offer, strangely when i emailed satguide guys, they told me that they do not have software for my device ( HP iPAQ 6965). I have destinator 6 and the software is working fine in my device. Wondering why the satguide guys are not giving the maps???
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 19:40   #173
BHPian

I have actually stopped using GPS for a couple of weeks. My GPS receiveer is excellent!! I have never faced problem with it, I remember once I got the fixes on my dash and just threw it in the ash tray and closed it, it was still giving me 3D navigation with about 4-5 sats captured. GPSlim is an excellent device.

The reason I stopped using are..

> The Map, I use mapking with Bangalore maps and somehow I found its not very acurate, fuzzy learning is not that easy if I want navigator to learn my own routes (I still have not found how to do it,, will go over the complete manual once I'm able to spare sometime and start using GPS again)
> The PDA mount I use in car, rather I wud say the Bagalore roads, mount keeps shaking along with the phone and I'm alergic to noise or some vibration in car,, I might need to use it regularly so that I'm used to it
> removing and fixing my iMate PPC from the PDA mount everytime I park the car at some unsafe place is pain
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 21:20   #174
BHPian

Default SatGuide maps Festive offer

Hey guys..I received this email from SatGuide people..(SatNav Technologies)..
Their Festive offer is nice..Destinator Software + 3 Cities Map Data is only for Rs4,990.
The SatGuide maps are surely better(More accurate) than the Mapking maps (This is my personal experience,since I've tried both the maps-MApking as well as SatGuide)....They have also reduced the prices of additional cities to Rs990 per city from the earlier Rs2990 per city charge.
Cheers,
-sr

Reply-To: Nippon_Satguide@yahoogroups.com
To: Nippon_Satguide@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Nippon_Satguide] Festive Offer for Navigation Software and Maps
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 04:23:32 -0000
Dear Group,

SatNav is pleased to announce a festive offer for it's Navigation
Software for Rs 4,990 !! The Navigation Software comes bundled with the
Maps of New Delhi including all satellite towns, Mumbai with all
satellite towns & Hyderabad including Secunderabad and Cyberabad.
Additional city maps of Pune, Chennai and Bangalore are optional and
priced at Rs 990 for each city.

There is an exciting offer too for existing customers who have bought
our devices or software earlier !! We are offering map database of any
3 additional cities you want for FREE until 15th November 2006. Please
send your requests to satguide@satnavtech.com.

Regards,

Dinakar

Last edited by srasania : 28th October 2006 at 21:24.
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 23:00   #175
BHPian

Hey SR.. were you successful in using the satguide maps with your destinator 6?
I am mostly buying the maps frm them, would be helpfull if you can confirm.
thanks
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 23:14   #176
BHPian

yes netarchie..they work with the Destinator 6..
P.S. - They are providing only Map Data for Rs990/city..so,tell them you don't need the Rs4990 bundle..and only the map data..which will be cheaper option for you since you already have the mapping software on your device.
If you need any more help,PM or reply back on this thread.
Cheers,
-sr
Old 28th October 2006, 23:25   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
yes netarchie..they work with the Destinator 6..
P.S. - They are providing only Map Data for Rs990/city..so,tell them you don't need the Rs4990 bundle..and only the map data..which will be cheaper option for you since you already have the mapping software on your device.
If you need any more help,PM or reply back on this thread.
Cheers,
-sr
I tried with Nippon. They refused to sell me just the map. I first have to buy the package and then i can buy individual maps, its crazy. But this low price gets me very tempted to jump in. Except that i have no need for other cities but i will find out what cities they already have. Maybe some nearby cities could be ready.

cheers..
ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 00:17   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur
I tried with Nippon. They refused to sell me just the map. I first have to buy the package and then i can buy individual maps, its crazy. But this low price gets me very tempted to jump in. Except that i have no need for other cities but i will find out what cities they already have. Maybe some nearby cities could be ready.

cheers..
Dude - directly email the head office - at Hyderabad..don't ask your local Nippon/Satguide Dealer/Branch..Headoffice will be more helpful in the new schemes/prices.. www.satguide.in
Alternatively,email them on satguide@satnavtech.com or dinakar@satnavtech.com

-sr
Old 29th October 2006, 08:55   #179
BHPian

Right sr...
I tried with Nippon, and they said No! You have to pay 10K to get delhi map only!!!
Then I wrote to Amit and Dinakar at SatNav, and was able to get the deal. Though hte thing about maps for 990 is only for customers who have taken the 4990 deal and have three maps (delhi/mumbai/hyd).
Old 29th October 2006, 08:58   #180
BHPian

I tried Satnav's destinator maps with dest 6 on gurgaon roads and the result is much better than mapking!

Also, the satnav map has wayyy too many extra POIs than mapking. a lot more businesses, residential colonies, shops, hospitals, etc than mapking shows.

I was also having problems with mapking software where it did NOT release the bluetooth com port after closing (sometimes) so that the next time i tried running mapking, it could not connect to the port. Have not had this problem with destinator.

So i would say, go for the destinator maps offer from satnav...
:-)