Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2007, 18:04   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
I use a USB bluetooth GPS receiver thats connected to my car pc. It works quite well using Mapking but i have just started using Destinator and the maps are pretty good, provided by SatNav.

Here is the Mapking display in my car:
Are the Maps accurate enough? I was using the trial version of Hyd maps and it showed me floating somewhere off the main road as I was driving.

Honestly, I have tried Mapking, destinator (satguide.in) and nothing comes close to the accuracy of google maps !!
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 18:15   #227
Team-BHP Support

depends on how good your gps is (number of sat's that are locked).

The very basic HP iPAC accuracy with mapking in Bangalore is almost 10 to 20 mts which is pretty good according to me. Only crib is when the authorities decide to change a particular one way and stuff.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 09:34   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
depends on how good your gps is (number of sat's that are locked).
Well.. I used the same GPS unit with Google Maps (for Mobile) on the same road, with 3 odd satellite signals. And it gave me a very accurate position right on the road. The only time Google Maps position is inaccurate is when I am inside a building and the GPS picks up weak signals that are probably bounced off a wall or something.
Old 7th May 2007, 08:14   #229
BHPian

I'm using GPSlim, its accurate. However, Mapking maps are not so accurate, I have see this happening in bangalore, it completely shows you off the road sometimes or on a by-lane passing by...it does recaclucate immediately and keep giving you the new route if you take a deviation. however, I have seen sometimes its leading me to dead ends in Rajajinagar area where there are no raods,, it was funny!! and yes,, it also takes me to one-ways in Bangalore, this may not be a big deal for bangalore as there are lot of them and are keep changing frequently..

Can you guys tell me how do you use google maps with GPS? I just retruend from a coorg trip this weekend and was really missing highway maps, I guess it would have been better if I have got highway maps with mapking..... or any other navigator that gives you good high way maps for india? I'm going to use by BT GPS receiver with my PDA.
Thank you.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 11:20   #230
Team-BHP Support

ok i used google maps and it also works like a charm and error atleast in my case was marginally more (it was locking on to the house opposite to mine most of the times).

good part is the images, you can actually see the real world images also with the map (updated a year year and a half back for bangalore), i loved it.

bad thing is it needs internet connectivity and stupid ipac was not taking my airtel gprs settings :( spend the whole of satday on this lol
Old 7th May 2007, 13:42   #231
BANNED

Could somebody be kind enough to list out the minimum stuff one needs to buy for GPS?

I'm looking at something that can be used in the car during my trips and can also be used as a handheld device (if that is possible).
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 14:43   #232
Team-BHP Support

just buy an HP ipaq or similar PDA's/Phones, comes with inbuilt GPS modules, you will require a car charger and a holder in addition.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:43   #233
BHPian

Default GPS setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Could somebody be kind enough to list out the minimum stuff one needs to buy for GPS?

I'm looking at something that can be used in the car during my trips and can also be used as a handheld device (if that is possible).
Actually, your existing phone + Bluetooth GPS receiver can build a good navigation equipement with softwares like GPSWatch (www.i10n.com).

A good Bluetooth GPS receiver like Holux GPSSlim 236 will cost $80
vishnugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:36   #234
BHPian

My Carputer was finally beta-installed last night
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ff-ground.html

And here is my first thought on Mapking....it is atrociously bad!
I am using a Holux GPSlim 236 so the receiver isn't a prblem , and it shows me driving off the road almost entirely during my drive to office today
(Velachery - > Tidel Park)
Thankfully, I havnt picked the paid version as yet

I wish Satguide had a trial version available..I am not plonking money on a map unless I know it works
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:46   #235
Team-BHP Support

thats strange mapking was more accurate in my case than google map, tried it with wifi internet connection and even then it was locking onto the house opposite, where as mapking was on dot.

have used mapking to navigate through malleswaram, rajaji nagar area where i used to get lost earlier
Old 15th May 2007, 14:07   #236
BHPian

what version of mapking are you using?
Old 15th May 2007, 14:18   #237
BHPian

Funny...what version of mapking are you using
Old 15th May 2007, 14:28   #238
Team-BHP Support

dont remember exactly the version number and shall post when i get back home, this was purchased some 4 months back
Old 16th May 2007, 19:38   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok i used google maps and it also works like a charm and error atleast in my case was marginally more (it was locking on to the house opposite to mine most of the times).
As I said, GPS wont be that accurate inside/around buildings possibly because of reflected signals and other such mumbo jumbo.

Quote:
good part is the images, you can actually see the real world images also with the map (updated a year year and a half back for bangalore), i loved it.

bad thing is it needs internet connectivity and stupid ipac was not taking my airtel gprs settings :( spend the whole of satday on this lol
Heheh.. Airtel gprs settings are the easiest - Just type in airtelgprs.com for the access point and it will work. No user id / password / ip address needed.

Also, Google maps does not give driving directions for India yet. For that you can try Live mobile (wls.live.com). Downside is that Live Mobile maps are not detailed (yet) for places outside of Mumbai. Hopefully, both of them should change.. after all, who expected such detailed maps/GPS being used in Indian cities a couple of years ago !!
Old 19th May 2007, 01:17   #240
BHPian

Have you ever been stopped by a cop?

He may not know what the device is, but he may assume that you are a terrorist using it to track your course. (It's unfortunate that everything is seen through the lens of terrorism these days, but that's the reality.)

Secondly, even if he doesn't say that, he may ask you if you got RTO approval and entered in on your RC. Have you?
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote