Senior - BHPian

Default Google Earth's latest upgrade spoils PoI resolution

Hi friends:

Would like to share this.

I thought I would upgrade my copy of Google Earth
from my current version 4.0.2416(beta) dated Oct 2006
to the latest version 4.1.7076.4488 dated May 2007,
so downloaded it and installed it.

Surprise, surprise! Google has downgraded the precision of the lat/long coordinates from 6 digits downto 4 digits.

This means that from being able to potentially resolve a
Point of Interest (PoI) 5 inches in diameter,
you can now only resolve PoIs upto 40 feet in diameter.

Luckily I still had the old installable, so I reverted back to
version 4.0.2416.

So, if you use Google Earth for PoIs I don't recommend upgrading to 4.1 now.

If anybody knows why Google downgraded the coordinate resolution of their free version of Google Earth, do please share!

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:18   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Hi friends:

Would like to share this.

I thought I would upgrade my copy of Google Earth
from my current version 4.0.2416(beta) dated Oct 2006
to the latest version 4.1.7076.4488 dated May 2007,
so downloaded it and installed it.

Surprise, surprise! Google has downgraded the precision of the lat/long coordinates from 6 digits downto 4 digits.

This means that from being able to potentially resolve a
Point of Interest (PoI) 5 inches in diameter,
you can now only resolve PoIs upto 40 feet in diameter.

Luckily I still had the old installable, so I reverted back to
version 4.0.2416.

So, if you use Google Earth for PoIs I don't recommend upgrading to 4.1 now.

If anybody knows why Google downgraded the coordinate resolution of their free version of Google Earth, do please share!

Ram
I believe we have our illustrious government to thank for this. They have been concerned about and talking with Google for some time now.

http://www.mcwetboy.net/maproom/2005...e_earth_in.php

However, I think banning this on the basis of terrorism fears is unfounded. If we go that route, everything should be banned.

Including
-digital or other cameras (somebody might take pictures of taxpayer-funded institutions and infrastructure)
-cars (if there are no cars, there won't be any car boms)
-fertilizer (used as a component in bombs)
-the Internet (can be used to transmit spy information)
-phones (ditto)
-highways (if we have highways, terrorists could use them--they should be reserved for Army vehicles only)

The fact is, baddies have probably already downloaded all of what they need from Google or other public (free or commercial) satellite sources.

I don't this appreciably increases security, but it does decrease facilities availble for Indians, and just makes us look like paranoid countries such as China.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 21:22   #258
BHPian

I'm a complete noob to GPS. Is there any service where maps for Calcutta is available?
Also which is the cheapest mobile/PDA which can be used with a GPS receiver?
Is there any GPS user in Calcutta in the forum?
Please help me.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 22:24   #259
BHPian

Anybody used Garmin Etrex or GArmin GPS 72. Found these 2 items on ebay for about 8.5K and 11.5K respectively. Any user review?

@mods how can i edit my earlier post?

Regards
Arup
Old 24th June 2007, 22:27   #260
BHPian

Anybody used Garmin Etrex or Garmin GPS 72? Found these 2 on ebay for about 9K and 11.5 K respectively. Any user review?

Regards

Arup
Old 5th July 2007, 18:34   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
can you give some more information about wayfinder earth full version!!
I use mapmyindia most of the time and I liked the maps / accuracy.. are they coming out with something that can be utilized with GPS??
Looks like Wayfinder Earth requires GPRS/EDGE access. Not a good solution, especially when Microsoft Live search/Google maps and offers similar but free service.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 11:11   #262
Senior - BHPian

Try GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I'm a complete noob to GPS. Is there any service where maps for Calcutta is available?
Also which is the cheapest mobile/PDA which can be used with a GPS receiver?
Is there any GPS user in Calcutta in the forum?
Please help me.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 08:16   #263
BHPian

Default Wayfinder

Live search/MG Maps dont give the option for navigation whereas wayfinder earth can connect to GPS and Navigate.Live search cannot connect to GPS also.The only problem is that they dont have detailed maps so its only the main roads that shows.But now they have teamed up with mapmyindia.com and surely will get more detailed maps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Looks like Wayfinder Earth requires GPRS/EDGE access. Not a good solution, especially when Microsoft Live search/Google maps and offers similar but free service.
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 01:51   #264

I got Garmin iQue3600 (enjoyed iQue in US for directions etc ).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=177

There is world map (high way map) loaded but pretty much useless for (Bangalore) city maps/directions...
Unfortunately I can't load maps like Google into iQue3600.

I am leaning towards Pathaway (cost US$60) alongwith Mapaway (Free Map utility using Google etc) for Maps.

PathAway for Palm Powered Handhelds

J&B Softlabs

I think Routing and POI are thing of past
Is there any better solution or approach???
Thanks!
babucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 12:57   #265
Senior - BHPian

I too have a iQue3600 PDA GPS unit from Garmin that I'm using for the last 2 years. I've the All India Map and city maps for Delhi/NCR & Mumbai.

Contact GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch who are the authorised delaers for Garmin products. They have maps for Bangalore and other cities as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babucar View Post
I got Garmin iQue3600 (enjoyed iQue in US for directions etc ).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=177

There is world map (high way map) loaded but pretty much useless for (Bangalore) city maps/directions...
Unfortunately I can't load maps like Google into iQue3600.

I am leaning towards Pathaway (cost US$60) alongwith Mapaway (Free Map utility using Google etc) for Maps.

PathAway for Palm Powered Handhelds

J&B Softlabs

I think Routing and POI are thing of past
Is there any better solution or approach???
Thanks!
Old 20th July 2007, 16:32   #266
BHPian

Default Setup with NokiaN95 ?

Hi,
Has anyone tried using the inbuilt GPS feature on the Nokia N95. Does it work with commercially available map software such as destinator? A single device which does everything is better according to me. As you cannot leave anything in the car lest it get stolen, there is a limit to how much stuff you can lug around when you park.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 16:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I too have a Garmin iQue3200 GPS and had initially faced a lot of problems with the internal batteries running down quite fast when navigating. Asked my GPS seller for a solution since this model had no cigarrette charger. He got me a car inverter that plugged in the lighter socket and gave an AC output..!! My regular charger of GPS plugged into it and I have had no problems whatsoever.
How much did you pay for the inverter? I want one for my Pocketpc based GPS navigation.. I have tried DC-DC USB cigarette light charger, but they are really cheap chinese make ones which either blow up or blow the fuse every time I plug them into the cigarette lighter. Besides, I dont want to fry my pocket pc or the BT GPS module. This looks like a better solution.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 17:25   #268
Senior - BHPian

This is a 150W inverter that converts 12V DC to 220V AC. It costed me 2 years back a cool 2.5K. Now it sells for 1700 odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
How much did you pay for the inverter? I want one for my Pocketpc based GPS navigation.. I have tried DC-DC USB cigarette light charger, but they are really cheap chinese make ones which either blow up or blow the fuse every time I plug them into the cigarette lighter. Besides, I dont want to fry my pocket pc or the BT GPS module. This looks like a better solution.

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th July 2007 at 17:26.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:36   #269

Hi GD1418,

Thank you for the info. I contacted GPS India and I was told that cost of one city map alone is Rs10,000/ ($250) and 3 maps costs Rs 25,000 ($625) ...whereas I paid just US $450 for the iQue 3600 (including North America City Select detailed maps) to Garmin. Looks like there is no economical solution other than Pathaway ($60)
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I too have a iQue3600 PDA GPS unit from Garmin that I'm using for the last 2 years. I've the All India Map and city maps for Delhi/NCR & Mumbai.

Contact GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch who are the authorised delaers for Garmin products. They have maps for Bangalore and other cities as well.
babucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 13:03   #270
Senior - BHPian

Oh, a case of the cart being costlier than the thoroughbred..! What are the details of Pathway? is it compatible with iQue3600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babucar View Post
Hi GD1418,

Thank you for the info. I contacted GPS India and I was told that cost of one city map alone is Rs10,000/ ($250) and 3 maps costs Rs 25,000 ($625) ...whereas I paid just US $450 for the iQue 3600 (including North America City Select detailed maps) to Garmin. Looks like there is no economical solution other than Pathaway ($60)
Thanks,