Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd September 2007, 17:45   #286
BHPian

Hey Nokia's newly released maps works great! Accurate too, but depending heavily on satellite signal.. If one tree comes too, it gets aborted, I mean navigation. But this new release by Nokia is great. Hats off to them

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

rr_zen & Tanveer, I checked with them and they will sell the maps for C330 and any other garmin model for 10.5K a map per city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
gd, can you call them up and ask if they will sell maps for a unit purchased in the US (c330)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:13   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
OT: Guys, have a look at Yahoo! India Maps. Yet another free map source for India.. yippee.. This one is even more detailed compared to Google maps. It seems to have names of even the tiniest villages and road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Wow, I really like this yahoo maps, especially the hybrid mode, which combines the map & satellite image.
I spoke too soon .. Found out that the Yahoo India maps aren't very accurate when it comes to the roads on remote areas.. On my weekend trip to Mulshi lake near Pune, I had the opportunity to compare both Google and Yahoo maps in terms of accuracy. Yahoo has more details than Google, but inaccurate beyond Pune city limits.For example, State highway 60 is shown at a completely different location on the map, compared to the real SH60 on the ground.

But then, Yahoo India Maps is still at a beta stage.. lets give them some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Guys. I have a way to get yahoo india maps in your cell phones for free.
Go to this website and you will get to know how to start. This is what I use in my N95 as Nokia has no maps for NCR ( not even basic maps )

Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!
I have been using MgMaps for some time now.. Pretty good and its getting better and better. But as per my observations above, you are better off using Google Maps.

Another option for WinMo users is Google Navigator from Pdafun.net - Google Navigator,Google earth mobile,Best GPS navigation software,Best mobile map software on windows mobile pocket pc. Dont bother buying it though, because directions (which comes with the paid version) for India is not supported by Google yet. This app has 3D view and stuff.. looks cool.. But needs a little bit of work (doesnt support landscape mode etc).

Last edited by spadival : 3rd September 2007 at 14:21.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 14:35   #289
BHPian

SRO plans Rs 1600 cr navigation satellite constellation

PTI | September 04, 2007 | 14:16 IST

India plans to build a constellation of seven geostationary satellites at a cost of Rs 1,600 crore to meet the navigational system requirements in cars, trains and aircraft.
"Design (of the satellites) is more or less complete. We are in the process of building the first proto model," Secretary in the Department of Space G Madhavan Nair said.
"First launch will take place around 2010. We should be able to complete all the satellites by 2012," Nair, also the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation, told reporters on the sidelines of an international space meet.
These seven geo-stationary satellites will cater to the navigational system requirements in cars, trains and aircraft, he said.
"It can provide accurate timing signals all over the place," and also find applications in surveying as well locating things in times of disaster.
"If you want to have a global coverage, we have to have a constellation of nearly 24 satellites which has to be going around all over the world... 20,000 km above the earth; whereas we have evolved a unique concept by which if you put in geostationary orbit, it will be continuously visible from our region. We need only a minimum number of satellites. Seven satellites will do this job," he said.
The Bangalore-headquartered ISRO is in the process of establishing the Indian Regional Navigation System based on these seven proposed satellites over India.
"For the constellation, we are going to spend around Rs 1,600 crore," Nair said.

I hope this will be very useful for India and will provide accurate information !!!
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 23:49   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
rr_zen & Tanveer, I checked with them and they will sell the maps for C330 and any other garmin model for 10.5K a map per city.
Talk about daylight robbery, you get entire US for around that much.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 23:53   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thanks for the update. But I feel 10.5K for a city map is too high . We are asking for maps to places, not places themselves I suppose !

Last edited by rr_zen : 4th September 2007 at 23:54.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:01   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up a Garmin Nuvi 200 as a gift for my cousin. Comes preloaded with maps of US and Canada. Europe has to be loaded if you want to travel .
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 13:33   #293
Senior - BHPian

You bet, but that's the way it is. I got my iQue3600 garmin for 40K around 2+ years back and they came with Delhi & Mumbai maps apart from the All India one. Even then it was damn too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Thanks for the update. But I feel 10.5K for a city map is too high . We are asking for maps to places, not places themselves I suppose !
Quote:
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 14:04   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
SRO plans Rs 1600 cr navigation satellite constellation

I hope this will be very useful for India and will provide accurate information !!!

Why do we need our own ? As if the existing signals are going to be encrypted to deny India ?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 15:23   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why do we need our own ? As if the existing signals are going to be encrypted to deny India ?
The non-encrypted US GPS signals have the accuracy reduced (deliberately) for public use. So I believe the Indian Govt want to develop their own system with greater accuracy for Indian Air Traffic control and military use.

However, I still feel that there are better ways to spend Rs 1,600 crores !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Even now, US GPS signals are pretty accurate for navigation during driving, trekking etc i.e. civilian use.. Maybe you cant use them to guide a cruise missile to its target with pinpoint accuracy.. Hardly something that you and I would be doing or needing !!

Last edited by spadival : 5th September 2007 at 15:27.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 19:35   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that the US signals at higher accuracy were made available to all a few years ago.

One of the biggest issues with GPS is that it is more accurate than the maps!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 19:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that the US signals at higher accuracy were made available to all a few years ago.

One of the biggest issues with GPS is that it is more accurate than the maps!
I think the new mapping exercises are done by GPS, by the mapping companies. so it should be as accurate as the GPS itself.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 01:13   #298
Team-BHP Support

The more accurate system is called WAAS. It gives greater accuracy.
Based on my use in India, I found that when I had WAAS enabled satellites locked on, my EPE(Error) was around 25 feet. Without WAAS its around 60 feet.
For navigational use, for example in automobiles an EPE of 100 feet or so is pretty acceptable
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 01:39   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think the new mapping exercises are done by GPS, by the mapping companies. so it should be as accurate as the GPS itself.
Very probably, but how old are the maps we're using?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 10:52   #300
DRC
BHPian

Me too bought a bluetooth GPS and hooked it up with google earth.

It was not of much use in terms of guided navigation, however, some free and trial software I used were very entertaining.
One of the software tracked the path of your movement and also recorded the speed at each point and the point of highest speed!

btw, I believe eventually, Google earth will come out with digitized map of indian cities too, so we may be able to use GE as navigation tool.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote