Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd October 2007, 12:37   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
They provide the product along with the maps and do not sell the maps seperately. Further do not get too much enamoured by the maps in their web portal MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! the map on the website is too much detailed than what comes in the handheld navigator
From I have found out from experience - while MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! have very detailed maps, they are also terribly inaccurate. They have roads on the map which either don't exist in reality or are in a different location all together. Google maps is far more reliable.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:44   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a hiking GPS which was used as a driving one too. Now I am thinking of getting one for a car. I am leaning towards Garmin, because apparently they have maps for Delhi and Indian highways.
Is it true.
If I get the GPS from the US, can I buy maps for it separately.
How much do the Garmin maps cost?
hey how u been?? I bought the garmin maps from bombay arial services, and got my self Ique M4 from garmin,In india they are selling the discontinued model, am planning to sell of my GPS as am not using it any more it has all India highways and Delhi and bombay fully loaded. let me know if u intersted
Regards
Wadhwa Ajay
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:58   #318
Senior - BHPian

Ajay,

How much are you asking for this and did you update the maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
hey how u been?? I bought the garmin maps from bombay arial services, and got my self Ique M4 from garmin,In india they are selling the discontinued model, am planning to sell of my GPS as am not using it any more it has all India highways and Delhi and bombay fully loaded. let me know if u intersted
Regards
Wadhwa Ajay
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:12   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdocs View Post
I can just tell u my experience ... almost two years ago i started using gps and it was then that bought Holux GPS receiver and mapking maps from ItemsOfDesire.com (at that time gps device and map prices were kinda on the higher side) and started using it with my o2 xdaIIs (Rs. 45000/- then from O2 india).

3 months back after selling my equipment off, i shifted to O2 orbit which i bought from dubai (airport itself) and satguide maps (whose price i now find has almost halved on itemsofdesire)( SatGuide :: ItemsOfDesire.com ) ...

The perceptible delay i found in getting the first fix and the inability of the gps to get a fix in hill drive made me go crazy to an extent that i repented my descision of selling my old trusted gear.

Then i bought a GPS receiver and GPSwatch combo from Itemsofdesire ( GPS Navigation cum Tracking Combo for Mobile Phones :: GPS Combo Saver Deals! :: ItemsOfDesire.com ) and paired it with my o2 orbit ...

Guess what ... not only did GPSwatch work well, my Satguide maps which were going way off the road too started begaving properly!

So i concluded it has to be the inbuilt GPS receiver and which proved to be true after dicussion with an IIT professor last who explained that the inbuilt units are low power units and so suffer from performance loss!

Hey Studd,, not able to understand what exactly you want to convey here.
I have some questions after reading your post,, see if you can answer them!!

When you say you had a Holux GPS Receiver + Mapking + your xdaII a couple of years back,, what is the model of Holux you were using at that time??

As per my understanding you tried following two solutions for navigation..

1> Holux GPS Receiver + Mapking + xdaII (pocket PC)

2> GPS Receiver + GPSWatch combo + O2 Orbit

In solution 2, they are giving Holux M-1000 which should be another sirf-III device and should not be very different from Holux GPSlim devices

Now, as per my understanding,, in both the above solutions, you were using a Pocket PC along with the external BT/USB GPS Receiver and not using a device with inbuilt GPS receiver

The only difference I can see in the above two solutions is the GPSWatch Plus.. I guess thats another program (rather navigation software) that needs GPRS (internet connectivity + unlimited data plan) so that it can help you navigate using GE, VE or some other maps... Is GPSWatch helping you anyway while you are working with SatNav??? if yes How??

According to me, devices inbuilt GPS functionality is a clean solution so that you dont spend time with the connectivity between GPS Receiver and Navigator device (thats a big headache for me) and powering both of them...
Otherwise,, I have got the Holux GPSlim 236 receiver and it works very good,,, never faced an issue while getting fixes, sometimes I just throw it into fron ask tray and it still functions well with my PDA..its just another sirf-III device (which is known for less power consumption and better accuracy).

I have heard that the SatNav maps are far better than mapking in terms of the accuracy; as you have used both of them, could you please provide your views / review on both of these navigator s/w and maps and their accuracy???

Last edited by Ketan : 22nd October 2007 at 21:13.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:24   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I was about to order GPS bluetooth dongle for 50 USD from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! but than came across a HTC phone for 20k that has inbult GPS with mapking maps. Now the question is that would buying an external GPS receiver give me any functionality over a regular mobile with GPS reciever. Improved signals etc. Or is it basically the same and I should save my 50 bucks???
Hi Aseem,

If you already have a pocket PC then you can go for a GPS Receiver for $50 - Do not buy HTC (20K) for the only reason that it has got inbuilt GPS.

functionality wise, there would not be much difference.. the inbuilt GPS is a clean solution where you dont have to worry about the connectivity between the GPS receiver and the navigator device (generally your Pocket PC) every time you start your journey...

while external (BT or USB) GPS receiver had got an advantage that it would work with any navigator s/w or maps - it means its independent of the of navigator device where you may face compatibility (memory / software incompatibility etc..) issues in future..

otherwise, both the solutions are good.. If you dont have anything but just the Pocket PC, I would suggest buy the GPS receiver for $50 and start researching / experimenting for now,, looking at the growing technology and demand, I'm sure we will have lots of better solutions (what people have in US) in India very soon and that would be a good time to invest on some dedicated device for navigation....
All the luck...
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:20   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
OK, I am a little excited about this. I reinstalled "Nokia Maps" on my phone (E61) today and found that Nokia has added street maps for Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi complete with Navigation and Voice Guidance. The GPS Guidance is a paid service where as the maps is basically free. I bought the navigation pack for 20 days to check out how it works. It works quite fine. I was traveling from Sarjapur road and had given IIM Bangalore as my target destination and it works :-). I was using my Bluetooth Headset to hear the Voice Guidance.
Hi sharathjeppu
Even I have installed the same s/w and I have only one thing to say that its great. I was about to buy that product from mapmyindia.com earlier as I was not able to get the GPS to work on my E90 but I asked the sales rep for an additional day and simply got it to work. saved 21K.
Anyways you have said that you have loaded maps of Del, Mumbai & Bangalor. Is there an option to load specific maps for individual cities because I dint find any and ended up loading 17MB of space on the card. How did you do it.
Secondly you have further said that you have purchased the service I have got myself a free 3 days trial. I was not confident of purchasing the service as I dont understand that if the phone crashes and one has to reload the voice guidance again, then does it happen automaticly or does one has to pay again. Please advise on the same
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 00:06   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sharathjeppu
Even I have installed the same s/w and I have only one thing to say that its great. I was about to buy that product from mapmyindia.com earlier as I was not able to get the GPS to work on my E90 but I asked the sales rep for an additional day and simply got it to work. saved 21K.
Anyways you have said that you have loaded maps of Del, Mumbai & Bangalor. Is there an option to load specific maps for individual cities because I dint find any and ended up loading 17MB of space on the card. How did you do it.
Secondly you have further said that you have purchased the service I have got myself a free 3 days trial. I was not confident of purchasing the service as I dont understand that if the phone crashes and one has to reload the voice guidance again, then does it happen automaticly or does one has to pay again. Please advise on the same
I must make a correction here. The India maps cover 6 cities and not 3. In addition to the ones mentioned, it also covers Pune, Hyderabad and Chennai. I ended up loaded all the cities in the process. You come to know this when you attempt to make a purchase.

When you buy the service, you also provide an email to which they send a license code. You can rekey this license code after reinstallation.

I am wondering if it is advisable to go for a 1 year license (3K) or a 3 year license (4.5 K). I am of the opinion that a 1 year license is a better way to go. 3 years is too long a bet. We might have better options by then or I may end up changing my phone (not sure if the license is linked to the phone but I am guessing not)
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 00:40   #323
BHPian

Quote:
The India maps cover 6 cities and not 3. In addition to the ones mentioned, it also covers Pune, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Does it include highway(state+national) maps?

And what software is this? Is it smart2go (http://www.smart2go.com/)? I think Nokia recently took over this company.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 00:47   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Does it include highway(state+national) maps?

And what software is this? Is it smart2go (http://www.smart2go.com/)? I think Nokia recently took over this company.
Yes, this is the erstwhile smart2go and is now called Nokia maps.

Nokia Europe - Nokia Maps - Download

Last edited by sharathjeppu : 25th October 2007 at 00:51.
Old 25th October 2007, 00:53   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the erstwhile smart2go and is now called Nokia maps.]
Thanks Sharath. Have you tried the Maploader?
They don't seem to have this applicaiton for MAC
Old 25th October 2007, 16:10   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering if it is advisable to go for a 1 year license (3K) or a 3 year license (4.5 K). I am of the opinion that a 1 year license is a better way to go. 3 years is too long a bet. We might have better options by then or I may end up changing my phone (not sure if the license is linked to the phone but I am guessing not)

Thanks for the info. I think that 3 years is a better bet as though you are paying 1.5K extra but at the same time you are getting 3 times the duration. even if 1% you decide that you are not changing the phone in 1 year and next year you decide that you need to re-subscribe to the service you would have to pay 3K for next year. But thats me as I always keep my phones for > 2 years.

Another thing that i need to clarify is that once you are subscribed to the service is it(the navigation service) country specific or for the whole world. for eg I frequently visit south east Asia will I need to subscribe for that region as well or its already included.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 00:24   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think that 3 years is a better bet as though you are paying 1.5K extra but at the same time you are getting 3 times the duration. even if 1% you decide that you are not changing the phone in 1 year and next year you decide that you need to re-subscribe to the service you would have to pay 3K for next year. But thats me as I always keep my phones for > 2 years.

Another thing that i need to clarify is that once you are subscribed to the service is it(the navigation service) country specific or for the whole world. for eg I frequently visit south east Asia will I need to subscribe for that region as well or its already included.
There are different packages. You can check this out on your phone without actually buying the same.
Old 26th October 2007, 02:46   #328
Senior - BHPian

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that I bought in the US. I have found it to be good overall. I plan to use it in India on my return. I have gone through different posts in this thread and am thoroughly confused w.r.t acquiring the maps for Indian cities. Can I buy it from Garmin in the US or is it available only in India ? Are there any other options available ? Any help on this would be appreciated.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 03:01   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think Garmin produce any maps for India.

The day they do will be the day that GPS in India really hits the market!

I wish...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 03:48   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think Garmin produce any maps for India.
I wish...
Your wishes are granted

Go to following post in this very thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/525307-post273.html