Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th October 2007, 08:54   #331

Exclamation About GPS maps for GARMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Your wishes are granted

Go to following post in this very thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/525307-post273.html
Hi guys ... as for garmin maps you may all be taken for a ride by the so called Garmin distributor.

I personally verified the non availability of official garmin maps from both the garmin distributors: aerial servicies and elektronik lab ... (both claim 3rd party maps are available but then again they dont provide garmin quality)
http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealers.pl?country=India

Also i checked on the garmin website:
Garmin: Maps and Charts: On the Road

Cartography

Third-Party MapSource Developers

And when i was in USA, i visited Garmin Headquaters itself and there also i was told that garmin doesnt have detailed maps for Indian cities currently! What more can be the truth than from the horses mouth...

And more than that i talked to a so called distributor in Bangalore and he also clarified that these maps are infact 3rd Party maps and not official garmin maps!

I had earlier also posted this info in the following thread but just for ur info re-posted it here ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post601510 (Holux GPS receivers)
swiftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 08:55   #332

Lightbulb About GPS maps for GARMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think Garmin produce any maps for India.

The day they do will be the day that GPS in India really hits the market!

I wish...
Your wish would be granted soon but! As per my info from Garmin USA ... Garmin should be in india by 2008 mid! wooo hoooo ....
swiftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 12:05   #333
Senior - BHPian

Then how come I've been using a Garmin iQue 3600 for the last 2+ years with detailed accurate India maps with Delhi & Mumbai maps thrown in? I purchased it from the Delhi Distributor.

You are anybody are welcome to take a ride in my vehicle with the GPS onboard..

Contact Ramesh Kashyap at GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch for the maps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftguy View Post
Hi guys ... as for garmin maps you may all be taken for a ride by the so called Garmin distributor.

I personally verified the non availability of official garmin maps from both the garmin distributors: aerial servicies and elektronik lab ... (both claim 3rd party maps are available but then again they dont provide garmin quality)
http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealers.pl?country=India

Also i checked on the garmin website:
Garmin: Maps and Charts: On the Road

Cartography

Third-Party MapSource Developers

And when i was in USA, i visited Garmin Headquaters itself and there also i was told that garmin doesnt have detailed maps for Indian cities currently! What more can be the truth than from the horses mouth...

And more than that i talked to a so called distributor in Bangalore and he also clarified that these maps are infact 3rd Party maps and not official garmin maps!

I had earlier also posted this info in the following thread but just for ur info re-posted it here ...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post601510 (Holux GPS receivers)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 22:55   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sharath. Have you tried the Maploader?
They don't seem to have this applicaiton for MAC
Yep, I used the maploader to download all the maps to the memory card
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 23:01   #335
BHPian

Default New version of Google Mobile Maps has GPS support.

I had reformatted my Nokia E61 and had to reload all the applications. I reloaded Google Mobile Maps application and guess what? The latest version comes with GPS support...It's not GPS navigation, just GPS support. This has not been reflected on their web site though.
Old 27th October 2007, 00:07   #336
BHPian

Thats a greate news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
It's not GPS navigation, just GPS support.
What do you mean by just GPS support?
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 00:10   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting....

I've seen that Garmin site before, and wondered why they are selling the devices, but apparently with no maps!

gd1814... your maps are third party?

I don't mind waiting until next year for official Garmin maps
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 00:49   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a greate news.

In my opinion GPS Navigation will give you turn by turn instruction for a destination from a point of orign including distance, route calculation or in other words that the device will navigate you turn by trun.where as GPS support is the utility will just pin-point your position on the map and will not navigate you to any destination. On the nokia maps (in my case e90) gps support is free but GPS navigation is a paid service.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 08:47   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a greate news.

GPS support means that the application will only give you current position on a map. In GPS Navigation, the application will be able to give you driving directions.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:05   #340
Senior - BHPian

Nope Thad, they are the ones that came with the device when purchased. Email Ramesh Kashyap of Garmin India on ramesh240974@gmail.com. He recently informed me that they have come out with SD cards with maps loaded for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very interesting....

I've seen that Garmin site before, and wondered why they are selling the devices, but apparently with no maps!

gd1814... your maps are third party?

I don't mind waiting until next year for official Garmin maps
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 10:30   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, I am a little excited about this. I reinstalled "Nokia Maps" on my phone (E61) today and found that Nokia has added street maps for Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi complete with Navigation and Voice Guidance. The GPS Guidance is a paid service where as the maps is basically free. I bought the navigation pack for 20 days to check out how it works.
This is available for Windows Mobile phones too... though I am not terribly excited for paying for guidance.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 20:09   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
This is available for Windows Mobile phones too... though I am not terribly excited for paying for guidance.
The software and the maps without navigation is Free. Only the voice based guidance is charged.

BTW, did you mean to say that "Nokia Maps" is available for Windows mobile? I was under the impression that Nokia only supported Symbian OS.

I have tried it for a few days now and observed a couple of things.
1. The navigation system does not information on where the median breaks are on the median divided roads. So the routes calculated if one is on teh wrong side completely avoid the main roads!!

2. Some of the roads especially on the outskirts are mapped incorectly. Shows dead ends when a road exists.

3. The landmarks listed is not updated or exhastive. For example, the innovative multiplex, the Bangalore Central etc are not listed.

4. Some of the oneways are not updated.

Yet I am excited because we have come a long way from when I started this thread when I had used a Garmin Geko 201 GPS and super imposed the route on Google earth and felt thrilled about it.
Old 29th October 2007, 15:12   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, did you mean to say that "Nokia Maps" is available for Windows mobile? I was under the impression that Nokia only supported Symbian OS.
Yeah.. thats the fun part Nokia must have taken over a company that created smart2go and then continued with Windows Mobile support.

Quote:
Yet I am excited because we have come a long way from when I started this thread when I had used a Garmin Geko 201 GPS and super imposed the route on Google earth and felt thrilled about it.
Yes.. I still remember that post of urs !! BTW, Yahoo! India Maps has added support for driving directions.. check it out.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:09   #344
BHPian

Quote:
The software and the maps without navigation is Free. Only the voice based guidance is charged.

Pardon my ignorance, I am kinda trying to understand how GPS works with phones / PDAs.

I have an O2 XDA Atom and am on Airtel in Bangalore. How can I downlaod the maps on my PDAphone and how to use it ?

You could also PM me in case if I am interrupting the discussions on this thread.

I am also contemplating swapping my O2 for an N95. Does N95 support the GPS + GPS navigation functions ?
ShaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 14:00   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does navigation work? Does direction require GPRS connection to work? Nokia maps for Pune isnt good anyway - I have a feeling that Nokia obtained the maps from satguide.in, because they look familiar.