Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st November 2007, 14:52   #346

Default Maps for Garmin GPS

Maps for Garmin GPS are available ... any one interested ... can get in touch with me ... I'm Ramesh
RAMESH KASHYAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 01:42   #347

Hi gd1418,

Sorry for the late reply...
I just pulled my iQue and noticed main CD got broken during R2I process (so I can't even load NA maps also!)
Pathway is also popular 3rd party tool compitable for several gadgets including iQue...
Only thing missing is regular Garmin feature is Auto routing with ease and address search capabilities (is it possible for our non- standard address system ). But as I said in my earlier post, it's just $60 for Pathaway and (Google) Maps tool is FREE!

Rs10K per city map discouraged me. For ex if you go to any other city other than your purchased city map, your tool (iQue) is useless...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Oh, a case of the cart being costlier than the thoroughbred..! What are the details of Pathway? is it compatible with iQue3600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babucar View Post
I got Garmin iQue3600 (enjoyed iQue in US for directions etc ).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=177

There is world map (high way map) loaded but pretty much useless for (Bangalore) city maps/directions...
Unfortunately I can't load maps like Google into iQue3600.

I am leaning towards Pathaway (cost US$60) alongwith Mapaway (Free Map utility using Google etc) for Maps.

PathAway for Palm Powered Handhelds

J&B Softlabs

I think Routing and POI are thing of past
Is there any better solution or approach???
Thanks!
babucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:39   #348
Senior - BHPian

Please read the post by ramesh kashyap that is just above your post. Check with him and you'll be pleasantly surprised..

And yes, I know that my Garmin would be useless if I go to any city other than Delhi or Mumbai since it doesn't have maps for any other. But if I load map of any other city then this problem would not be there. Right?

Having said that, what I generally do is to save track upto wherever I go and also create waypoints of places visited. Thus even if the city map is not there, the life is easier the next time I visit that place..

Btw, the ignoramus that I am, what is 'R2I process '?

Quote:
Hi gd1418,

Sorry for the late reply...
I just pulled my iQue and noticed main CD got broken during R2I process (so I can't even load NA maps also!)
Pathway is also popular 3rd party tool compitable for several gadgets including iQue...
Only thing missing is regular Garmin feature is Auto routing with ease and address search capabilities (is it possible for our non- standard address system ). But as I said in my earlier post, it's just $60 for Pathaway and (Google) Maps tool is FREE!

Rs10K per city map discouraged me. For ex if you go to any other city other than your purchased city map, your tool (iQue) is useless...

Thanks!

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd November 2007 at 12:43.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 01:16   #349

# GD1418,

I too did the same. I used to take the Lat. and Long. info from "Wikimapia" and saved as Waypoint. without even going there (or you can also grab the same from the following URL.)
Free Geocoder - Get Latitude Longitude
GPS Coordinate Converter

If you save the Track, You can have route map for next time

I bought the Pathway after looking at different options.

I should have written more clearly, R2I means "Return to India"
My main iQue CD got damaged (it was not in hard case) during my relocation to India.

Thanks!

Quote:
Please read the post by ramesh kashyap that is just above your post. Check with him and you'll be pleasantly surprised..

And yes, I know that my Garmin would be useless if I go to any city other than Delhi or Mumbai since it doesn't have maps for any other. But if I load map of any other city then this problem would not be there. Right?

Having said that, what I generally do is to save track upto wherever I go and also create waypoints of places visited. Thus even if the city map is not there, the life is easier the next time I visit that place..

Btw, the ignoramus that I am, what is 'R2I process '?
Old 4th November 2007, 01:34   #350

Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for offering Maps for Garmin product. I do have iQue 3600. i bought in US for $450 (including "North American detailed maps" as well as world map, Indian highways).

I am interested to have detailed Maps (does your maps include any POI info? Points of Interest)

I know there are some products which cost around 22k for PDA with all major metro maps and other option is grabbing some Nokia phones as discussed previously in this thread). Currently I bought Pathway for $42 loaded on to iQue. Pathway accepts Google Maps (5 or 6 levels) generated by Free utility listed in my previous post. But I wish to have Garmin detailed maps.

Could you please let's know about your products and cost of the same for the benefit of all in this thread

I think GPS products/business in India may pick up more steam during next 1 to 2 years

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMESH KASHYAP View Post
Maps for Garmin GPS are available ... any one interested ... can get in touch with me ... I'm Ramesh
Old 5th November 2007, 12:59   #351
Senior - BHPian

@babucar: While it is still not as common/popular, you'll be surprised at the number of people who are showing interest in GPS.

Quote:
Hi Ramesh,

I think GPS products/business in India may pick up more steam during next 1 to 2 years

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2007, 19:28   #352

# gd1418

Yah!
But things are changing for good (ie. pricing of hardware and software/maps)
Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > PDA With GPS Launched
Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > GPS Based Navigation Device
Thanks!

Quote:
@babucar: While it is still not as common/popular, you'll be surprised at the number of people who are showing interest in GPS.
Old 7th November 2007, 11:21   #353
Senior - BHPian

You are right babucar, but that was then in 2004 and this is now in 2007. In three years a lot has changed. And any product when launched initially for the first time ever is bound to cost a lot.

Remember, when mobile services were launched in 1995, the mobiles used to cost upward of 25+K; I'm talking only about the instrument. Now you get the entire package consisting of instrument, connection etc. for about 3K.

I picked up my GPS unit in '05 for 40K. If this model had not been discontinued then today it would have come for much less.

Quote:
# gd1418

Yah!
But things are changing for good (ie. pricing of hardware and software/maps)
Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > PDA With GPS Launched
Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > GPS Based Navigation Device
Thanks!
Old 7th November 2007, 18:19   #354
Senior - BHPian

Here is a question for the GPS gurus.
I am a GPS novice. I have a Holux GPSlim 236 bluetooth receiver. It works fine. I can set destinations, mark landmarks, find average speeds travelled etc. (I use an E90)
What software/freeware can I use with my laptop running XP, to import/store POI's, map my route on Google earth??? or anyother mapping system.

How do I use it while driving off road, into the wilds/unknown territories etc.
I really want a software that will record route taken and then guide me back along the same route etc. Can anyone help?

I will soon be buying maps for Chennai and Bangalore so navigational assistance will be taken care of.

Last edited by jyobeb : 7th November 2007 at 18:20.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 08:28   #355
BHPian

Default Mapmyindia Navigator

Hi
yesterday I laid my hands on mapmyimdia navigator from Mapmyindia.First impression is that its a cute thing to look at.I have used the navigator only for a short time but it seems good.Definitely as someone pointed out it needs updates as detailed city maps are not available for my city,cochin but important roads and places are there.The dealer assured me the updates will be available in december.Will updates the details soon..
Cheers
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 12:46   #356
Senior - BHPian

Dilip, use it considerably and then give your comprehensive feedback on the Delphi navigator. We all are waiting for some one to give a detailed report about its functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Hi
yesterday I laid my hands on mapmyimdia navigator from Mapmyindia.First impression is that its a cute thing to look at.I have used the navigator only for a short time but it seems good.Definitely as someone pointed out it needs updates as detailed city maps are not available for my city,cochin but important roads and places are there.The dealer assured me the updates will be available in december.Will updates the details soon..
Cheers
Old 8th November 2007, 13:26   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think I've ever seen any sample pics of available maps. I'd like to see some corner of Chennai that I know, so that I can compare it with my knowledge and see how small roads are covered.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 20:22   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
What software/freeware can I use with my laptop running XP, to import/store POI's, map my route on Google earth??? or anyother mapping system.

How do I use it while driving off road, into the wilds/unknown territories etc.
I really want a software that will record route taken and then guide me back along the same route etc. Can anyone help?

I will soon be buying maps for Chennai and Bangalore so navigational assistance will be taken care of.

I too am using the E90 for GPS and there is a s/w in the download section by the name of sports tracker. Its a free ware and locks on the the satellite pretty good. It keeps a track of the route taken, speed, time, avg speed, max speed, and lot of other things as well. Additionally you can export the data in many formats (csv, google earth, etc etc) and hook it on the pc.

For maps I am using nokia maps and they work pretty good. they have detailed maps for delhi (not tried any other cities) and voice guidance is also available (though its paid). Maps are free.
Alternatively you can use MGMaps and google maps on the E90.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 11:44   #359
BHPian

I am planning to buy HTC 3300 PDA which has built-in GPS receiver, but the TOM-TOM navigator software provided with that does not have indian maps. Can I download and use google maps instead of TOM-TOM software. What additional cost I have to bear to use the GPS facility.
HTC 3300: HTC P3300
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 15:21   #360
BHPian

i have the o2 orbit which has gps man its amazing in the car tell me my odo meter my speed records my top speed aswell
also if i wanna go to a particular place i can activate voice navigation as well love it..
malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote