Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th November 2007, 12:09   #376
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Anyone using N95 ? It has inbuilt GPS and yahoo offers free maps for 100 countries.
Can anybody elaborate about the same...
Thanks in advance !!
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 12:36   #377
Senior - BHPian

I think Satguide is one of the best available navigation system with a range of packages to suit everyone as low as 2k.

Is anyone using Satguide here.

Last edited by dadu : 30th November 2007 at 12:38.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 13:03   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I think Satguide is one of the best available navigation system with a range of packages to suit everyone as low as 2k.

For 2k they provide only the map that can be loaded onto your handheld GPS device. Further the s/w is compatible only with windows mobile OS not not with PALM or Symbian series handsets.
Further I remember that 2k get you maps for only 1 city
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 13:12   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Hi guys,
I am looking for upgrading myself for the PDA/Smartphone. I am looking for a phone which should have atleast 3G, GPS and Wifi.
In this category, I think HTC Touch Cruise fits the best. I dont know whether it is available in India or not. but i think its a great device.
What you all say ???
HTC Touch Cruise - Full phone specifications

Please provide your inputs guys...
Why dont you look at the nokia N95 or the E90
It has all the features that you are looking for.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 13:14   #380
BHPian

Default Satguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

I'm using Satguide on my O2 Stealth. The Delhi map is pretty accurate with turn by turn navigation. I bought the Holux M1000 Bluetooth GPS Receiver + GPS Navigation Software + 1 Satguide city map for 6K.

The points of interest dont go into too much detail and I find the software a little hard to use. I also bought the Road Map of India for 2.5K. Havent tested this out yet.

Though overall Satguide isnt a bad option but looking at the Mapmyindia site, if there Navigator is as good as the site it'll beat Satguide any day. But of course if you want to use an existing device then that isnt an option.
djbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 13:17   #381
Senior - BHPian

Thats what I meant, based on what device/components you are already owning, you can choose a package. No need to buy the full set, fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
For 2k they provide only the map that can be loaded onto your handheld GPS device. Further the s/w is compatible only with windows mobile OS not not with PALM or Symbian series handsets.
Further I remember that 2k get you maps for only 1 city
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 10:02   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
OK, I am a little excited about this. I reinstalled "Nokia Maps" on my phone (E61) today and found that Nokia has added street maps for Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi complete with Navigation and Voice Guidance. The GPS Guidance is a paid service where as the maps is basically free. I bought the navigation pack for 20 days to check out how it works. It works quite fine. I was traveling from Sarjapur road and had given IIM Bangalore as my target destination and it works :-). I was using my Bluetooth Headset to hear the Voice Guidance.
Hi sharath,

I assume you were using a BT receiver in conjunction with the E61, since I'm not sure the E61 has an in-built GPS receiver.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 11:59   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Why dont you look at the nokia N95 or the E90
It has all the features that you are looking for.
Yes Harjeev,
I am now inclined towards N95 since it has all the features i want. Moreover Nokia is having good support in India as compared to HTC.

Thanks for your advice !!!
saurabh159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:29   #384
BHPian

Hello everyone..

Pretty interesting topic we have here..am currently in Malaysia on work and have picked up a GPS Device for navigating in the city here. The brand is AOCOS. It' very accurate in Kuala Lumpur and surroundings (havent used it yet outside the city). Gives me a turn by turn voice directions n catches on to satellites pretty fast.

I want to know if this device can be used in India, and whether its compatible with any map providers? any suggestions will be much appreciatec, coz if i cannot use the device in India, I might as well give it off to someone here when am coming back..thanks a lot.
Satish
jvsatish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 18:50   #385
BHPian

Default AOCOS!!! anyone heard of that?

Hello everyone

Pretty interesting topic we have here. I am currently in Malaysia on office work and I drive to work. I have bought a GPS device for my navigation here, the brand is AOCOS. Its pretty accurate within KL, I haven't tried it outside KL yet.

Is this device compatible with any map providers in India? Coz if it is, I am planning to carry it back to India and use it. Can the seniors on the forum guide me if this device can be used in India??

Thanks in advance for the suggestions / advice.

Satish
Old 19th December 2007, 09:31   #386
BHPian

Default anybody reading this???

Hello

Is there anybody going through this posting? haven't received any kind of reply to my posting...
Old 19th December 2007, 10:58   #387
Team-BHP Support

Any GPS device will work in India. The problem is maps, which are available for limited number of devices.
Without a map GPS will just show your coordinates.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 11:22   #388
BHPian

I faced the similar thing in Taiwan. A lot of good GPS which are freely used in Taiwan, but we are always scpetical whether they can be used in India.
The answer is Yes. GPS receivers will work anywhere, but you need the correct maps for the local area where you plan to use it.These can be purcahsed and downloaded off the net.
Also in a lot of the taiwanese stuff , has a chiniese voice and has chinese font, which is difficult to read. PLease see if you have an English GPS system, it helps. The cheapest branded one I found there cost 5500TWD ie 6000 INR. THis was a Tomtom One model.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 14:19   #389
BHPian

As of date which is the cheapest GPS device available in India and how good is it compared to its price.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 15:19   #390
Team-BHP Support

I think satguide sells one for 6000rs(they recently dropped prices). You can't get anything cheaper than that.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote