Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th December 2007, 16:17   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think satguide sells one for 6000rs(they recently dropped prices). You can't get anything cheaper than that.
erm.. One from chip silicon is available @ Rs 5,450 -> RFID India, RFID Delhi, RFID Mumbai, RFID Bangalore, RFID Hyderabad, RFID product India, RFID 13.56MHz India, RFID tags India, RFID systems, RFID antennas
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 16:27   #392
Team-BHP Support

Thats just the BT receiver.
For 6000 you get a city map + BT receiver + 1 city map
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 18:09   #393
BHPian

I used Google maps, though it is very precise, the route doesn't seems to work, also unable to store the route which we have travelled.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 18:45   #394
Senior - BHPian

If the route doesnt match then hows it precise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I used Google maps, though it is very precise, the route doesn't seems to work, also unable to store the route which we have travelled.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 21:59   #395
BHPian

Default nokia n73

i have nokia n73 ME and using Googlemaps series 60 3rd edition software
which uses GPRS to locate yor location...very nice and clean which has online google earth support with 1700mts range....i tried in gujart during my trip. it shows my home location too......it also supports BT GPs reciever for exact location

wap.google.com
find googlemaps

its dam cheap solution
neo_trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 22:19   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thats just the BT receiver.
For 6000 you get a city map + BT receiver + 1 city map
Yeah.. That seem to be a very good offer. But only if you have a Windows Mobile phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
He meant the routing or driving directions does not work (as yet). Maps themselves are quite precise.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 23:46   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Sorry for not explaining it properly.
The route map is precise and it shows my current position correctly, but the problem is when I mark start and destination point and try to find the route it says "no route found". I tested by selecting adjacent roads but even then it failed, so it was not useful.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 06:29   #398
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
i have nokia n73 ME and using Googlemaps series 60 3rd edition software
which uses GPRS to locate yor location...very nice and clean which has online google earth support with 1700mts range....i tried in gujart during my trip. it shows my home location too......it also supports BT GPS receiver for exact location

wap.google.com
find googlemaps

its dam cheap solution
Which Bluetooth GPS receiver are you using?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 13:07   #399
BHPian

Review of using Mapmyindia navigator:

Hi folks,

I had requested for a demo of the mapmyindia navigator today.
The company rep brought along a Delphi navigator for demo. The details of the experience:

Overall opinion: Not very useful for me to navigate in crowded areas. Could be useful for either highway driving or to generally find my way to a particular area (like, say, to find directions from my place to Shivajinagar, but not to a particular point in Shivajinagar).

Details:

Started from near the Indiranagar 100ft flyover and set the destination as Forum.

The navigator needed some time to re-calculate the route in case I took a wrong turn. So depending on just the navigator in rush hour traffic is not possible.
To it's credit, it was at least showing me on the road instead of somewhere off it.
After reaching Forum, I programmed it to take me back to the 100 ft road in Indiranagar ( selected Natasha Golf View apartments as the POI).
Now, the navigator chose a route that went via Richmond Road. I decided to go ahead with the route it suggested.
Major problem: Since the navigator is not updated with the one ways, it wanted me to take a wrong entry to the right just before Richmond Road. Since I did not, it started recalculating only with the sole intention of getting me back on the road so as to take the same wrong turn again. This continued until I emerged back onto Hosur Road (near Adugodi) after winding through some very narrow lanes off it. Only when I purposefully crossed Forum onto the 80ft road in Koramangala did it realise that the road to Indiranagar could also be taken via Koramangala, past Ejipura.

Points to note:
-- Since I knew the road to take and hence overrode the navigator's suggestions, I was ok, but were I to go in a totally new area, I would either have been lost or pulled up by the cops for taking a no-entry wrong way.
-- The navigator does show your position as being on the road (although,sometimes the name of the road is displayed incorrectly) BUT
since one-ways are not updated, there is a very good chance that it is going to insist you take the route it has chosen (which hasn't considered the one-way, just the path).

All in all, unless mapmyindia has frequent updates including the one-way directions, I wouldn't want to use it as a navigational device for crowded Bangalore driving.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:19   #400
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used the Mio350 Pocket PC based navigator shown here?
Welcome to SatGuide – India’s 1st GPS Navigation

My needs are simple:
1) I don't want to mix phone and navigator, I will use it only as navigator.
2) I want all India road map. Don't care about city maps, for now.
3) I want to be able to add my own maps after driving in less known or offroading trails. I should be able to export those maps back to the PC for sharing.
4) I want to be able to download custom maps from friends available in well known GPS formats.

Does the above mentioned product fullfill that need?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 16:39   #401
Team-BHP Support

Any pocket PC based system will allow you to use custom maps. So get a PDA(no phone), attach bluetooth, and get your fav software.

As for custom maps. the GPS babel and GPS trackmaker format allow you to inter-convert almost all popular formats, so no issues there.

The software used is "Destinator" You can do some research on that software as to what it allows and what it does not.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:15   #402
Senior - BHPian

Default MapmyIndia Navigator

Chaps

Was just talking to a friend of my Dad from Bangalore. He was telling me about some new navigation system. Some company called Mapmyindia. He says he bought it about a month ago and hes been finding it very useful around Bangalore. They seem to have maps for all the Indian Cities. He bought it for around 22k. He gave me their no. Need to find out if they have something similar for Mumbai. The helpline no. is 9741111194.

Any Bhpians used this product before? I checked the net and found their website.

MapmyIndia Navigator - India's choice in GPS navigation

I've never used these things before so many you fellows might know better.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:24   #403
Team-BHP Support

Dippy, your wish came true. It was reviewed just today in this thread, so I moved your query here.

Tanveer, what are the PDAs with Built-in SiRFstar III GPS receiver available in India? Is this available: HP iPAQ rx5915
Old 20th December 2007, 17:53   #404
Team-BHP Support

Just got the price for HP IPAQ RX 5770 Travel Companion : 22K

Yikes, I think PDA connected to a separate GPS unit via BT makes more. I can use it with multiple equipment then.

Anybody had used this: Product Details::Welcome to SatGuide – India’s 1st GPS Navigation

Any feeback on a good BT GPS receiver available in India?
Old 20th December 2007, 17:59   #405
BHPian

Samurai, I got the Altina BT GPS unit from chip silicon about a year back. Cost me 5500 back then and its decent enough. I use it with my hw6828 iPaq and it does a decent job. Though there aren't any maps available for this part of the woods but I have used it with Google Maps when I am in the metros and it does great.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote