Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th December 2007, 15:05   #406
BHPian

Default checking with satguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I faced the similar thing in Taiwan. A lot of good GPS which are freely used in Taiwan, but we are always scpetical whether they can be used in India.
The answer is Yes. GPS receivers will work anywhere, but you need the correct maps for the local area where you plan to use it.These can be purcahsed and downloaded off the net.
Also in a lot of the taiwanese stuff , has a chiniese voice and has chinese font, which is difficult to read. PLease see if you have an English GPS system, it helps. The cheapest branded one I found there cost 5500TWD ie 6000 INR. THis was a Tomtom One model.
Thanks hrman
I just want to be sure it can be used in India before I carry it back, otherwise it will become just a fancy toy with no value. I am checking with Satguide to provide me a sample map so that I can run it and try it in simulation mode.
jvsatish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 19:16   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

My phone died last week. Iguess I dropped it once too often. We had a loyal relationship for three years or more, and it was bought as a cut-price returned item, so I figured its depreciation had, in fact put quite a good 'balance' in the 'phone-buying' account!

I've always had cheap mobile phones. I never had one at all until several years after everyone else, and I never saw it as being any more than a simple utilitarian device, not in the spending-heaps-of-money department at all.

The topic? I'm getting there...

I bought a Nokia N-82, not primarily because of the built-in GPS, but because I wanted to have a semi-decent camera in my pocket at all times (with a built-in phone!) But, hey! The GPS is there.

And it works. It seems to get a fix within a minute or two, and it is certainly accurate enough. Already it has, twice, while driving and getting a bit lost, shown me (quickly enough to be useful) where I am. Zooming out was enough to work out where to go next. The street map of Chennai is pretty good: better than I expected.

I haven't really tried the route planning/navigation (and I'm not sure where the included ends and the extra-cost begins yet) except for a quick run-through Lighthouse to Parry's (pretty simple) while my wife was buying fish.

So now I have an expensive phone that tells me where I am.

I'm happy
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 13:08   #408
Senior - BHPian

Just got to know nokia is offering In-built GPS in its latest Model No 6110, Anyone tried the model, how's the GPS performance ??

Does it contains the same GPS software featured in Nokia N-Series or E-Series ??
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 20:27   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The street map of Chennai is pretty good: better than I expected.
Thats encouraging news ! I am looking at getting a N95 8GB for myself in a couple of months. I have one question here. Do you have the maps for Chennai pre-loaded onto your phone ?
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 21:32   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, they were.

I'm not sure what is available. There is this map-downloaded software for the PC, but when I tried to install it it said .Net was a pre-requisite. So I backed out pretty quick, not wanting yet another heap of slow-down on my PC.

Generally, the PC software that comes with the phone is rubbish: all glitter and no functionality. You can't even manage contacts or SMSs. And it insisted on my deleting the old version and loosing all the data with it.

Sorry... straying from the topic!
Old 14th January 2008, 23:11   #411
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I should let you all know that after refunding my money, the MD of SatNav insisted on sending me a FULL set of ALL maps for India + software for my Pocket PC, free of cost.

It was meant to reach me before I reached Delhi for the AutoExpo, but Ishaan just confirmed today that the package has arrived.

I think they have more than made up for their lapses.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 23:26   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your success.

Lets hope they have learnt the lesson, and won't cause others the same grief in the future.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:07   #413
Senior - BHPian

Default Garmin iQue 3600

I've several tracks of the highway travel done, marked on my Garmin GPS unit iQue 3600. I've gone through its manual in detail but have not found any method of backing them on the PC through synchronisation.

Does anybody here know if it can be done and then how?

Thanks in advance..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 12:08   #414
Senior - BHPian

How do you manage to arm-twist or coerce people in giving you things for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Guys

I should let you all know that after refunding my money, the MD of SatNav insisted on sending me a FULL set of ALL maps for India + software for my Pocket PC, free of cost.

It was meant to reach me before I reached Delhi for the AutoExpo, but Ishaan just confirmed today that the package has arrived.

I think they have more than made up for their lapses.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:46   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

By first suffering dreadful service with multiple failures.

Steer... perhaps you ought to link to the thread in which you told this saga?
Old 16th January 2008, 12:55   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How do you manage to arm-twist or coerce people in giving you things for free?
AFAIK, Steer didnt arm twist them.. They are just trying to compensate him for some really BAD customer service. Even I got a free additional map of my choice after some delay on their part in processing my online order.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 13:08   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've several tracks of the highway travel done, marked on my Garmin GPS unit iQue 3600. I've gone through its manual in detail but have not found any method of backing them on the PC through synchronisation.

Does anybody here know if it can be done and then how?

Thanks in advance..
Do u have Palm Hotsync installed on ur PC? Do a Google search and u'll find some answers
Old 16th January 2008, 13:25   #418
Senior - BHPian

Yes. While this Hotsync backs up everything including the waypoints that I would have created on my tours, it doesn't back up the tracks that I log & save.

Posted my query here when I exhausted all other options that included Googling as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Do u have Palm Hotsync installed on ur PC? Do a Google search and u'll find some answers
Old 16th January 2008, 13:48   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. While this Hotsync backs up everything including the waypoints that I would have created on my tours, it doesn't back up the tracks that I log & save.
I guess you have Track Conduit installed as well on your PC? If so, try re-installing it. Garmin: iQue Track Conduit Updates & Downloads

If you are successfull, please convert the tracks to kml and send it across

Last edited by spadival : 16th January 2008 at 13:50.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:17   #420
BHPian

Sorry to butt-in. Any 1 over here has a PND Navigation with SatGuide + 1 City Map + All India Map that they offer for 12K. Is it worth it? I have a very tight budget for this, so dont want to throw away money and live with a lemon.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote