Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th April 2009, 13:17   #796
Senior - BHPian

RKB,

Spot on there!

After installation of MgMaps, when it asked for network connection, I specified not to connect to internet at all! And this did not strike me till now!!!

Just got out and tested it. Works like a charm!

Thanks a ton!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 13:38   #797
Senior - BHPian

(Just missed the 20minutes mark for editing!)

Done with download South India map from zoom 12-15 (enough for driving directions). A whopping 1GB.

So next question: How does one combine the downloaded MgMaps? I have zoom 16 & 17 for Bangalore. So how to get that into this?
Old 30th April 2009, 13:44   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Done with download South India map from zoom 12-15 (enough for driving directions). A whopping 1GB.

So next question: How does one combine the downloaded MgMaps? I have zoom 16 & 17 for Bangalore. So how to get that into this?
In your stored folders, you should have structure like

South/MGMapsCache/GoogleMap_12
South/MGMapsCache/GoogleMap_13
South/MGMapsCache/GoogleMap_******

Just copy GoogleMap_16 and 17 under the above MGMapsCache Folder.

Before you try all these, take a backup of all the downloaded maps.

Now there is catch, what if you now want the 16,17 zoom level for Kerala. Do a simple thing. You have a combined base of above.

When downloading map for kerala, point the download folder to the above base. gMapMaker, will automatically merge the new download with the existing one.

Last edited by rkbharat : 30th April 2009 at 13:47.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 14:48   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

like rkbharat said, you can download them to the same folder base, and then copy these additional folders to the phone like he mentioned.
You can also download to a different folder in the PC as long as you use the same tiles_per_image value (which is what it is by default), and then copy these folders to the right location in the phone...

Either way, it will work.
Cheers,
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 17:12   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
...Just copy GoogleMap_16 and 17 under the above MGMapsCache Folder.

Before you try all these, take a backup of all the downloaded maps.

Now there is catch, what if you now want the 16,17 zoom level for Kerala. Do a simple thing. You have a combined base of above.

When downloading map for kerala, point the download folder to the above base. gMapMaker, will automatically merge the new download with the existing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
...You can also download to a different folder in the PC as long as you use the same tiles_per_image value (which is what it is by default), and then copy these folders to the right location in the phone...
Thanks guys for the response.

RKB, your edit answered my concern, that is how to use the base again if I need to download another place with the same zoom level what will I do. Since I have a base now for South with 12-15 zoom, getting 16 & 17 will not be too much.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:20   #801
BHPian

which is the best gps which can use offline google maps in india? I have offline google maps,i want to put them in gps & then gps shows me the route/road from those offline maps.
Rohit26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 15:25   #802
BHPian

Question

How is Nokia n82's gps performance when compared to a bluetooth gps receiver costing 3k ??
Is anyone here using nokia mobiles for car navigation? how is the gps performance of nokia n78 & n82 in heavy rain inside a car?

I am thinking of buying either Bluetooth gps receiver or secondhand Nokia n82

please reply...
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:25   #803
BHPian

External bluetooth receivers are more sensitive then nokia n series gps phones . only nokia navigator series phones have good internal gps.
ask77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:27   #804
Senior - BHPian

N82's performance is decent in rains and overcast sky. Use it regularly in Mumbai.

Used number of Navigation options, From Nokia's built in Maps to Satguide. I like Nokia's maps most. That is you can plan your router online on PC / Laptop and then save that route in cell.

That is not possible with other packages.

Which mobile you have at present? Adding bluetooth receiver should be a better idea since it costs jsut 3k.
NetfreakBombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:24   #805
BHPian

^ Thanks for the info, now i need to find a n82, i have Nokia 3110c

Bluetooth gps receiver is cheaper option for me,but its not available in any online Indian store and the models listed in "ebay.in" are all overpriced.

I have already set upped mgmaps with south india maps in my 3110, mgmaps is very good.

Is there any free or paid navigation software which support both voice navigation and stored map mode(storing google map).
Do "Nokia maps" allow google maps to be used with it as stored map?
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 20:08   #806
Senior - BHPian

Nokia map would not use google maps. It would use its own maps but hose are raster maps and do not have satellite images for India.

Try this site for Bluetooth : GPS Receivers | iRide Technologies

However, on N82 you can run both Nokia Maps and mgmaps at the same time. And switch between them whenever required.
NetfreakBombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 14:35   #807
BHPian

Default MMI 430m Classic GPS

After a lot of deliberations, finally bought the MapMyIndia 430 Classic 4.3" screen GPS,
Will test/try it out during my weekend trip to GOA via NH4, So far it has been working fine within the city. Still getting used how to handle it etc.. So far it seems to be OK.

Has anyone else on this forum bought this device, and how is the performance?.

Will post a full review of this device as soon as I complete my trip.
Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 19:12   #808
BHPian

Guys,

If you hava QVGA device with Built in GPS, try this GPS Speedometer app and let me know whether it works and the accuracy of the value.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...gital-wm6.html (GPS Speedometer (Analog & Digital) for WM6)
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 19:30   #809
Distinguished - BHPian

Haven't used GPS in India ever, but here in USA it works very well I'd say, except in the heart of the city it does go a little berserk. But more or less accurate, and that's alright considering it's been with me over an 1800-mile road trip.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 03:57   #810
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Try this if you have a Garmin unit/ software, quite workable-ly detailed I'd say Garmin india map

Well, address search doesn't work, but you search mostly by POIs - works. And routing works.

Last edited by SLK : 9th May 2009 at 04:04.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote