Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th September 2009, 20:16   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Like I'd said some posts earlier i did a test run with the GTXi app and the results were not all that great. I've posted the programs output at s603rd.blogspot.com I'm online from my mob so cant get the exact URL. Bottomline is that the app is good, but if you want to calculate 0-100 times you'll need way better GPS modules than those that come embedded on a mobile.
Well with most mobiles having a 1HZ GPS update, no wonder you can't get very accurate GPS based timing not to talk of lesser satellites they lock in, and obstructions like tall trees/buildings etc. So, 0-100 does not make sense on the phone... Accelerometer based stuff is more accurate (relatively) but you need smooth roads etc

@NetfreakBombay, thanks for pointing it out. Yes, maps for Garmin happened later than when the iNav's came out. Actually, the iNav WF navigation software and adaptation to mapmyindia maps is pretty crappy, I am sure Garmin XT with the new mapmyindia maps will be 10times better. I still keep using mgmaps simultaneously with the iNav WF - the reroute on the iNav is fast and its best feature...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 5th September 2009 at 20:19.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 20:30   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well with most mobiles having a 1HZ GPS update, no wonder you can't get very accurate GPS based timing not to talk of lesser satellites they lock in, and obstructions like tall trees/buildings etc. So, 0-100 does not make sense on the phone... Accelerometer based stuff is more accurate (relatively) but you need smooth roads etc
oh. Netfreak had said that cell phone level gps modules work at 5hz..

And how does a accelerometer gather 0-100 times ??
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 20:46   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
oh. Netfreak had said that cell phone level gps modules work at 5hz..

And how does a accelerometer gather 0-100 times ??
Check out the dynolicious thread on tbhp. It works on iphone. When I searched many months before, I did not find a accelerometer based app for S60, though N95 and N82 have a 3d accelerometer just like the iphone ...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 19:12   #1054

can anybody help me in deciding whether to go in for gps receiver or map software. I am looking for a device for my ANHC.
Vinod AirNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 20:47   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod AirNav View Post
can anybody help me in deciding whether to go in for gps receiver or map software. I am looking for a device for my ANHC.
Your question itself is unclear, but you would need both Map Software and GPS Receiver.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 21:06   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps @Vinod_AirNav meant whether he should buy a dedicated GPS unit (PND) or software for a phone?

@vinod, the experiences and cost are completely different. Both come with maps. A dedicated GPS device has a much bigger screen, is costlier but doesn't do anything other than navigation (discount the odd unit's ability to show pics or videos). These units always have the GPS receiver built in.

Navigation software for a phone (there are more available for WiMo phones, but even Symbian phones are not far behind) is cheaper, but works on a smaller screen and is limited by a relatively slower processor on the phone. If you don't have GPS in your phone, you will need to buy a matchbox-sized GPS receiver which costs around 3K.

Garmin, Sat Guide and MapMyIndia have both dedicated units as well as software for phones available. It is also possible to buy a generic PND (Personal Navigation Device, usually comes without the navigation software) and load the navigation software.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 17:04   #1057

Thanks DerAlte for putting my question in correct perspective. Also thanks a lot for the explanation in simple language. looking for a garmin gps Rx in Kochi. Any outlets and probable costing!
Vinod AirNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:47   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Not sure who in Kochi stocks Garmin - maybe you can enquire at large shops like eZone or Croma if they have a branch there. A friend got a Garmin 215 for 17K in Bangalore.
Old 12th September 2009, 18:16   #1059
BHPian

Please let me know the pros and cons of using the Nokia 5800 as a GPS unit. I am considering it since its cost is said to have come down to 13-14K.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 18:34   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Please let me know the pros and cons of using the Nokia 5800 as a GPS unit. I am considering it since its cost is said to have come down to 13-14K.
Pros
Good gps unit,fast locking when AGPS is enabled,don't need to carry two units

Cons.
Some programs may have compatibility problems with its touch screen(not sure),battery will only last 4hrs if gps is continuously used, so car mobile charger is needed.

Software you can use with 5800
MGMaps=free,can use both google map and yahoo maps
Mapmyindia=Rs3500,same as yahoo map coverage,voice navigation

I am using n82+mgmaps only problem is no voice navigation.

Last edited by splitsecond : 12th September 2009 at 18:35.
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:36   #1061
Senior - BHPian

@splitsecond, you could use Garmin or Route66 on the Nokia if you want voice-guided navigation. Not sure of the cost.

Even the Nokia maps are good in the cities (better than mgmaps, since it is road-oriented), though voice-guided navigation is a paid Nokia service.
Old 12th September 2009, 20:36   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have an unlimited data plan don't go for these internal gps units on cell phones. The a-gps feature requires a constant gprs connection and if you don't have an unlimited plan things won't end up good. Other than that not only are they slow to get a satellite lock, they'll have precision problems at higher speeds as well. But if you still want them then you could use mgmaps application and store maps on your cell. I've posted an article about that here ₪ In Focus: Symbian S60 3rd and 5th Edition ₪ There'll be a link either in "tricks and tweaks" or in "nseries stuff" on the horizontal menu. I can't post the exact address because i'm mobile right now.

Vodafone has a good data plan which i use - 50mb per month for 95rs. It was an unlimited offer until last month.

@DerAlte I'm not sure of Nokia maps' details for cities in Kerala, the last time i tried it was pathetic. I'd prefer the hybrid view of google maps anytime for places here. But it's a different story for major areas like Kochi though.

Last edited by di1in : 12th September 2009 at 20:41.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:39   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cons:
  1. Nokia maps is expensive as it is not priced as per Indian market.
  2. MapmyIndia maps are available on Nokia (Available, but costs 7k).
Pros:
  1. Garmin Mobile XT runs fine with touchscreen on 5800
  2. Satguide maps for Gamin costs just 2k.
  3. Sports tracker is excellent for logging your tracks and uploading it to net.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:44   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have an unlimited data plan don't go for these internal gps units on cell phones.

Vodafone has a good data plan which i use - 50mb per month for 95rs. It was an unlimited offer until last month.
Unlimited data plan for my BSNL costs only Rs.199/- per month. But speed is pathetic here.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:57   #1065
Senior - BHPian

GPRS is NOT an issue at all.

GPRS is only required when you are starting the navigation. It helps is speeding up "fix", I.e. the time it takes for GPS to calculate current position.

And A-GPS can be turned off. In that case, GPRS would not be required.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote