Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd February 2010, 14:03   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
To my knowledge Nokia Maps, requires a network connection to activate and startup. Therefore it may not work without GPRS. Satguide & MMI have products which do not require a network and will work without GPRS.
Nokia Map users on the forum please confirm if the above is correct.
I am using Nokia maps on my 5800 without AGPS. The only issue with NO A-GPS is long locking period. Once you are hooked on the satellites, GPS works like charm. It shows your position on the maps and the map (your position shown as a red circle) keeps on moving if you are traveling.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:46   #1307
Senior - BHPian

@ruchir
VX140 and VX130 = I dont know what all major difference between these two other than screen size. I have only minor informations as under:

VX140- GPS processor : SIRF A3/372M (LX130 -SiRF Atlas III
Battery type: Lithium-ion 1450mAH ( 900mAH Li-poly )
Wieght: 164 gms ( 122 gms)
Dimensions: 122 x 78 x 12.5mm ( 99 x 74.5 x 12.5mm)

then may be the video play/bluetooth features?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:52   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do not mix up GPS and mapping. GPS just gives you the current position defined by its coordinates. You can see your current coordinates by using GPS-> GPS data -> position from the menu. In case you do not have GPRS, you may have to purchase either satguide or MMI maps (Not sure if they have them available for N97 now). If you just want to check , you could also download google maps or MGMAPS mobile on a wifi network. However the maps will be usable only when you are in wifi range and will not work on the road.
Now that we are all on same page for the AGPS, I have the next question on maps. Well I strictly believe that GPS/Mapping should working without map being downloaded through a GPRS connection. Because now you become dependent on the GPRS connection.Solutions are either buy Satguide/MMI or download Nokia maps. Unofficially, even Google maps are supported.

My question is on Google maps. My opinion is that Google maps are a better updated than others. Google mentioned that in Android 2.1, they will support an offline mode for maps. Does this mean one has to download maps the MGMAPS way as today? I don't see any other option. I would rather like a more seem less solution, which comes through an app or something similar, that downloads what you want. How does one envision that today?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:02   #1309
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My question is on Google maps. My opinion is that Google maps are a better updated than others. Google mentioned that in Android 2.1, they will support an offline mode for maps.
yes offline maps as well as turn by turn voice navigation. As of today, all we can do is wait for those features on a good android phone
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:15   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Now that we are all on same page for the AGPS, I have the next question on maps. Well I strictly believe that GPS/Mapping should working without map being downloaded through a GPRS connection. Because now you become dependent on the GPRS connection.Solutions are either buy Satguide/MMI or download Nokia maps. Unofficially, even Google maps are supported.

My question is on Google maps. My opinion is that Google maps are a better updated than others. Google mentioned that in Android 2.1, they will support an offline mode for maps. Does this mean one has to download maps the MGMAPS way as today? I don't see any other option. I would rather like a more seem less solution, which comes through an app or something similar, that downloads what you want. How does one envision that today?
From the future perspective, On-line mode would be the way to go. Maps can be updated at the central repository quickly and easily by the provider as network bandwith are expected to go up and network costs go down. The question one needs to answer is how does the map provider generate revenue out of this ? The answer to this question will decide the way things turn out in the future.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:27   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
From the future perspective, On-line mode would be the way to go. Maps can be updated at the central repository quickly and easily by the provider as network bandwith are expected to go up and network costs go down. The question one needs to answer is how does the map provider generate revenue out of this ? The answer to this question will decide the way things turn out in the future.
I feel On-line mode wont work in India for sometimes, Suppose we are depending on GPRS and signals goes off as its usual in highways and some pockets of cities as well, and we get a junction with no direction board, what is the use of GPS which works on GPRS.

Till India is covered every km with GPRS or other mode of signal where we can access internet at high speed till then pre-loaded maps are the way to go.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:28   #1312
Team-BHP Support

Yes very well said. Revenue is a big ticket item. Today I am not sure if Nokia is making any money on the maps. But that is just to counter the Google threat. From a Google map data management perspective, they should provide an APP which allows you to select the region you want on their site and download that portion as a binary and a compact file. The current method downloads it as a tile based medium. This bloats up the file size in a big way.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:28   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Yes very well said. Revenue is a big ticket item. Today I am not sure if Nokia is making any money on the maps. But that is just to counter the Google threat. From a Google map data management perspective, they should provide an APP which allows you to select the region you want on their site and download that portion as a binary and a compact file. The current method downloads it as a tile based medium. This bloats up the file size in a big way.

There are no free meals. What is google's gain, if they allow you to download the map for free and thereafter allow you to remain off the network. On a online mode for example, they would know where you are and could deliver advertising content appropriate to your location.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:25   #1314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are no free meals. What is google's gain, if they allow you to download the map for free and thereafter allow you to remain off the network. On a online mode for example, they would know where you are and could deliver advertising content appropriate to your location.
There is some way to go on that route before Google breaks even. Already there maps are the most sought after. They need the mobile infrastructure to back that up.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:23   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
4. SATGUIDE MOOV 560 at 15590 capable of GPS, Video play and bluetooth at 4.7" screen but doubtful of mapping capability of Satguide

So, utter confused, Please suggest as i do not want to buy any Garmin and any such device from some outsite and end up getting no warranty and NO RISK Work.
After the last part, thiw ould be unfair, but still:

The MOOV is a Win CE device and so can be modified to work with any Win CE compatible software including MMI!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:14   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To my knowledge Nokia Maps, requires a network connection to activate and startup. Therefore it may not work without GPRS. Satguide & MMI have products which do not require a network and will work without GPRS.
Nokia Map users on the forum please confirm if the above is correct.
It is not correct.

I do not have any data connection configured for my N82, and it is configured not to use AGPS. It takes quite a long time to get a fix, but once it does, it works fine and gives a reasonably accurate (given the size of the screen!) position.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:46   #1317

Friends, Nokia Ovi maps are now available for free, at least for my N97.

I'm happy i made a right choice buying an N97.
I was planning to buy a GPS Navigator in near future, but things are different now.

Nokia maps work great with voice guided navigation, all for free!! :-)
I'd call it a perfect GPS blended into phone.
shaktithakran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:48   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is not correct.

I do not have any data connection configured for my N82, and it is configured not to use AGPS. It takes quite a long time to get a fix, but once it does, it works fine and gives a reasonably accurate (given the size of the screen!) position.
That's absolutely correct for GPS-equipped Nokia phones. You obviously need to download the Ovi/Nokia Maps software and map data first. THAT needs a connection to the Net. But once downloaded and installed, one does NOT need GPRS connection. But, if your phone does NOT have a GPS receiver, you WILL need GPRS to plot your position on a map or will need an external GPS receiver.

To avoid all data charges, simply download and install Nokia Maploader to your PC and select the map regions required. Download the same and install to your phone using Bluetooth or USB cable. Start the Maps application and you should get lock-on in around 4 minutes.

Don't confuse a GPS positioning application with navigation. The former simply shows your location on a map while the latter allows you to enter a destination and also calculates the fastest/shortest route. Nokia has just made the navigation feature free for a select Nokia models so grab it quickly!!!

I am on a flat-rate plan so am always on GPRS with my Nokia 5800. Usually lock-on is within 1 minutes from a cold start.

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd February 2010 at 21:57. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:02   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm not sure how true this is. I have an N 97 which has A-GPS. Since I am not on a data plan (no GPRS), navigation has not worked for me. I've tried turning off the 'assisted' part of the GPS. Though over 4 satellites are detected, the device doesn't show my true location on a map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks a lot folks for clearing the air over AGPS.

My understanding from an earlier discussion was same as has been confirmed again.

This confusion started when someone stated that AGPS may not have a proper GPS receiver.
Compared to the current crop of purpose built GPSrs, the better ones of which are based on Sirf 3 or MTK chipsets, the previous GPSrs were really bad. Meant only for geeks, not general use. I should know, having used them. And compared to those, the inbuilt GPS of the N79, and 6700 was bad. So you can imagine how bad. Maybe the N97 GPSr is similarly bad.

So this is what I think is happening. The phone is unable to successfully download the Ephemeris Table. It can show any number of satellites in view, but without the table, it is not going to get a fix. However, if it gets the table by any other means, and there are >3 satellites in view, it is going to get a fix. With Assisted GPS, it is getting the tables from the server through the data link (GPRS). Thereby giving the impression that it needs GPRS to work.

I believe the 5800 has much better performance. Can any user here confirm. If so, I'm strongly tempted to get one just for the lifetime free licenses. Otherwise licensed maps, esp on an autorouting system, cost quite a bit. And you have to keep on updating those. Which too is not cheap.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:33   #1320
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Don't confuse a GPS positioning application with navigation. The former simply shows your location on a map while the latter allows you to enter a destination and also calculates the fastest/shortest route. Nokia has just made the navigation feature free for a select Nokia models so grab it quickly!!!

I am on a flat-rate plan so am always on GPRS with my Nokia 5800. Usually lock-on is within 1 minutes from a cold start.
GPRS is nothing but a wireless internet connection.
It cannot plot your position on a map in any way.
How can you get a GPS position-lock with merely an internet connection?

What kind of bogus hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo is this?
And how can you do any kind of navigation without an accurate location fix?

How accurate can a location fix be, which uses triangulation based on cell-towers?
Please understand that without an internal or external GPS receiver, any kind of positioning or navigation is a pipe-dream.

itwasntme, you have a Nokia 5800 phone -- a phone with a built-in GPS satellite receiver hardware.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) retrieves assistance data over a data connection (like GPRS). A-GPS reduces the time a GPS device requires to find its current latitude and longitude position, known as Time To First Fix (TTFF), and only when receiving signals from GPS satellites.

In other words if your phone does not have GPS hardware, A-GPS software cannot work for you!

The first time you use an application that involves GPS (and A-GPS) service, the phone will automatically ask for your Internet Access Point (can be GPRS or WiFi/WLAN) with the question: "Access point is required for secure positioning. Define now?" If you want to enable A-GPS usage, answer "Yes".

If you answer "No" you can still use your phone's GPS receiver, but TTFF will be slower.

To check if you have A-GPS activated on your Nokia GPS phone.
Check
Main menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning
* > Positioning methods - select assisted GPS.
* > Positioning server > Access point - Select your service provider's access point.
* > Positioning server > Server address - the positioning server address used for A-GPS (default supl.nokia.com)

As mentioned earlier flat-rate unlimited plans are no longer offered in 1st class cities -- Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta and Madras.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1706001 (Using a GPS Receiver in the Car)
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote