Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 23:33   #1351
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys need help:

I am planning to go for 3M filming. Anybody has 3M done and using GPS? Does it restrict the GPS capabilities?
Go for ceramic film. Search these forums for Huper Optik. 3M and most of the other sun film companies use metalic films. There are reports about people installing the sun film having to hold the GPS device outside the car till it gets a signal. Once it has the minimum number of satellites, it seems to work fine. So decide
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:29   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,720
Thanked: 3,303 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
The file size was only 1.3MB but I am on unlimited BSNL (Rs.199/- PM) and whenever using the map, data is downloaded. I feel AGPS enhances accuracy, though, may be I am wrong.
If you have already downloaded maps and you using A-Gps instead of standalone GPS in your mobile will it still need GPRS connection ?
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:22   #1353
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 368
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you have already downloaded maps and you using A-Gps instead of standalone GPS in your mobile will it still need GPRS connection ?
AGPS works along with GPS (today when I tried, 10 satellites were received) but data is being received especially when scrolling or zooming in. May be it is since the full map data was not initially downloaded. For dowloading full map data somebody had suggested using MgMaps but when tried, it shows Yahoo maps!
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 11:45   #1354
BHPian
 
dezpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Rejoice, if you have gps on your phone!
satguide has reduced prices to ~1000 bucks.
SatGuide for Windows phones, Symbian phones, Laptops and Garmin
dezpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 11:41   #1355
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I have a Royaltek 2200 LP bluetooth GPS receiver, but seem to have misplaced it's car charger. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement car charger, or a usb charger or a mains charger (basically a way to charge the damn device) in Bangalore, preferably around Koramangala or HSR layout?
Device looks like this:
Mapmyindia Bluetooth GPS Receiver For GPS Navigation In Mobile Phones
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 16:49   #1356
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
I have a Royaltek 2200 LP bluetooth GPS receiver, but seem to have misplaced it's car charger. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement car charger, or a usb charger or a mains charger (basically a way to charge the damn device) in Bangalore, preferably around Koramangala or HSR layout?
Device looks like this:
Mapmyindia Bluetooth GPS Receiver For GPS Navigation In Mobile Phones
You can purchase a mobile phone charger for HTC/Blackberry/Motorola with a ordinary mini usb connector from any mobile shop.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 19:53   #1357
Newbie
 
maddjango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Hi
I came across this thread while searching for a good GPS receiver.
I have a nokia 5800 described somewhere else in the thread. Unfortunately I made the mistake of upgrading the firmware and the nokia maps application. Now the nokia maps needs a data connection to work since it downloads maps off the network(much better maps though!). Google maps app is much better in that case! I occasionally travel out of city on the weekend and GPRS connection on these drives are patchy at the best. So I finally ended up deciding to buy a GPS device/map.

I don't want to spend too much on the device (since the missus is controlling the purse strings on this purchase) and I am planning to use it exclusively for navigation. I am hoping that it will connect to the car charger and i will just be able to plug it in and go. Portability is a must since I need to plug it into whichever car i would be driving at the momment. So that pretty much narrows it down to MMI "road pilot" device. I was wondering if anybody here had used it and had any reviews about it and if there are any other devices for comparison? Or am I better off buying a MMI map for my 5800 and using it? Any tips/advice is welcome....
maddjango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:38   #1358
BHPian
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: calicut
Posts: 85
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

^Since you have touch screen mobile "SygicMobile+MMI maps" will be a cheap alternative (Rs 2500/-) to dedicated gps devices, havnt used MMI road pilot so cant comment on it.
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:06   #1359
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 910
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

maddjango, I have a Nokia 5800. I am using the latest firmware and the latest nokia maps. Eversince nokia maps became free, I've dumped my garmin maps. Let me assure you that nokia maps is installed in the phone and does not require GPRS connection. It does use aGPS where it uses network data or faster acquisition of satellite data, but can be turned off.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:36   #1360
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
I was wondering if anybody here had used it and had any reviews about it and if there are any other devices for comparison? Or am I better off buying a MMI map for my 5800 and using it? Any tips/advice is welcome....
This thread should answer your queries: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...apmyindia.html
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 14:50   #1361
BHPian
 
tush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
Hi
I came across this thread while searching for a good GPS receiver.
I have a nokia 5800 described somewhere else in the thread. Unfortunately I made the mistake of upgrading the firmware and the nokia maps application. Now the nokia maps needs a data connection to work since it downloads maps off the network(much better maps though!). Google maps app is much better in that case! I occasionally travel out of city on the weekend and GPRS connection on these drives are patchy at the best. So I finally ended up deciding to buy a GPS device/map.

I don't want to spend too much on the device (since the missus is controlling the purse strings on this purchase) and I am planning to use it exclusively for navigation. I am hoping that it will connect to the car charger and i will just be able to plug it in and go. Portability is a must since I need to plug it into whichever car i would be driving at the momment. So that pretty much narrows it down to MMI "road pilot" device. I was wondering if anybody here had used it and had any reviews about it and if there are any other devices for comparison? Or am I better off buying a MMI map for my 5800 and using it? Any tips/advice is welcome....

The dedicated device for you should be the one from mapmyindia. Its called Road Pilot. And costs 7990/-. One of my colleague bought it and i must say its good, not tested it myself though.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:21   #1362
Newbie
 
maddjango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

@wildsdi5530: I think I had turned some option on somewhere which kept checking for updated maps whenever connection was available. A huge problem for Nokia is their software. The Ovi and/or PC suite together takes almost 1 day to download update nokia maps and load it to the 5800. And after their firmware update I had to do it again. Comparatively I tried the Gps Mid app mentioned somewhere above in this thread and I was quite impressed. The maps and app are easy to load and free too! I am planning to try it out this weekend on a drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum.

@cool_dube: I went through the thread. Seems like other than price point there is not much of a difference between SatNav and MMI. Infact most people seems to prefer Google Maps if network is available! I think I will try the open source Gps Mid before trying out others.

@tush: I am quite inclined towards that device. I wanted to make sure whether it is good and whether there are other options available before locking on to that. I am trying to find the combination with the best VFM!
maddjango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 19:00   #1363
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default

Just a feedback on front windscreen sunfilm and GPS

I have 3M windscreen film and GPS in my phone worked flawlessly through out my recent long trip.

I used google maps they are good but highly inaccurate , SH60 in Maharashtra from Ahmadnagar to Pune is shown as SH37 ,
MTDC hotel in Aurangabad was shown in opposite direction 5KM away and we had to hunt for actual location in night.

So do not depend on google maps for POI and routing.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:30   #1364
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

I am using a sony ericsson vivaz for the time being. It has google maps and wisepilot that works on built-in GPS and aGPS. I found wisepilot to be very useful and accurate in my previous drive, but requires a data connection throughout. I had vodafone mobile connect active, therefore maps refreshed and worked perfect.

Is there anyway I can run the same without having a data connection ? Also wisepilot is in a free-use period of 30 days, it will expire next week. Its 70 Euro for 1 year which is equal to Rs.4000 as of today's rate. Anyone has used this before ?

Any other reliable mobile GPS maps that are free or cheap and decent for our purpose ? Its not a 'must have' thing in my car, otherwise I would have bought a mapmyindia device long back.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:54   #1365
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 910
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

you should use a broadband connection. I update my maps (India only) in about 15 mins. It's about 120 mb. Plus the voice guidance. And you would lose maps only if you format the memory card. Ofcourse when your firmware was updated from v30 to v40, maps 2 was upgraded to maps 3 and whe maps had to be reinstalled.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Dash GPS/Audio Receiver mav2000 In-Car Entertainment 16 1st April 2010 20:25
How to configure MireoPC edition with USB GPS receiver contactme27 Gadgets, Computers & Software 1 4th November 2009 21:56
Fully loaded Car receiver morphean In-Car Entertainment 20 26th July 2009 13:19
How To Use A Qstarz BT-Q1000P GPS Receiver with Ubuntu? Sankar Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 1st December 2008 20:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks