Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th August 2010, 18:41   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Satguide maps cost 990 Rs. Garmin PND + Satguide maps is pure VFM combination.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 23:13   #1382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A-GPS simply helps in "cold fix" by downloading Ephemeris data. Once you have a complete fix, AGPS will not make any difference in accuracy.
This comes up over and over again. Think you should start a thread on this.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 07:03   #1383
Senior - BHPian

thanks man. Thats indeed a good deal. Serves me right for not doing enough research on SatGuide before plunging on to MMI.

Do let me know does SatGuide come in SD card form? And would it be compatible with the Garmin Nuvi 205W?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Satguide maps cost 990 Rs. Garmin PND + Satguide maps is pure VFM combination.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 19:52   #1384
Senior - BHPian

It is shipped on MicroSD card, package has SD adapter too. It works fine with Garmin units.
Old 1st September 2010, 02:42   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Those looking for Garmin unit from US, this is a great deal.

Garmin Nuvi 1450 GPS Navigation System with 5" LCD Screen | BuyDig.com

Price is 149 after adding to cart.

Specs : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...63932#specsTab
Old 1st September 2010, 11:06   #1386
Senior - BHPian

thanks

like i said - serves me right for not checking satguide before plunging into buying the MMI SD Card

Quote:
It is shipped on MicroSD card, package has SD adapter too. It works fine with Garmin units.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 12:26   #1387
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods: Please merge with SatNav Vs Mapmyindia
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:45   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Default Speed Error GPS vs Speedo

I have started using Samsung Wave Navigator in my car. Samsung Wave comes with Route 66 Navigator. My Car is Maruti 800 and it is 100% stock and no modification made till. Speed which my GPS Device is showing and what speedometer shows has difference of 9-10KMPH.

When GPS Device show speed of 51 KMPH my car shows 60 KMPH and this difference is pertinent for all speed.

I am really confused where is the problem, whether navigator is showing incorrect speed or my car is showing incorrect speed. Can anybody faced similar issue with their Navigator?
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:54   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have started using Samsung Wave Navigator in my car. Samsung Wave comes with Route 66 Navigator. My Car is Maruti 800 and it is 100% stock and no modification made till. Speed which my GPS Device is showing and what speedometer shows has difference of 9-10KMPH.

When GPS Device show speed of 51 KMPH my car shows 60 KMPH and this difference is pertinent for all speed.

I am really confused where is the problem, whether navigator is showing incorrect speed or my car is showing incorrect speed. Can anybody faced similar issue with their Navigator?
This is known as Speedo Error and is a common issue in all cars - nothing to worry about.

Check out this wiki link: Speedometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and scroll down to the section titled 'Error' for more info.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:27   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This difference is on a higher side, but slight variation is expected. Reason is GPS chip is read at a frequency of 2 to 5 Hz by cell phone. And it takes two readings to calculate speed.

So, whatever speed is shown on GPS would be stale by a second or so. Unless car is running at a constant speed, speed as measured by GPS would be different.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:25   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This is known as Speedo Error and is a common issue in all cars - nothing to worry about.
But how come error is coming even my Tires are Stock. But Odometer measures correct distances. I have verified distance with three vehicles.

Quote:
So, whatever speed is shown on GPS would be stale by a second or so. Unless car is running at a constant speed, speed as measured by GPS would be different.
Difference is constant of 9 Kmph for all speeds. I will check speed of my GPS speed in another car and will check what is the difference coming out.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:44   #1392
BHPian

Default Garmin / Nokia navigator

I have Garmin Nuvi 715 with Pre-installed maps for Gulf Countries.

On my recent visit to India, I got Micro SD Card (within SD Card Adaptor) installed which claims Maps for about 680 Cities in India. It costed me Rs. 2000.00.

Worked fine in Delhi, Punjab and Mumbai.
I also have Nokia Navigaor 6110 and would like to know, if it would work on it also or would it need any further / different download ?
To be honest, I did not try it out.

Please advise

Regards

Amrik Singh
Amrik Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:58   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Easiest way it to buy Navigation software for Nokia. It costs 1200 along with maps from SatGuide.

Or you can download and install Garmin software on Nokia and use that with Micro SD card you already have. But that will require some work.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:03   #1394
BHPian

I am currently using gpsed in my nokia n82 to log the route i traveled.
These routes can be saved in gpx and kml file....so is there any mobile gps navigation software capable of opening gpx or kml file and route according to this information????
Does SygicMobile(mapmyindia) or MgMaps supports these file format??
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 16:41   #1395
BHPian

Quote:

Most car speedos are known to show higher than true speed. The GPS indicated speed should be much closer to true speed. In many road tests (in some auto magazines, for example), they also give a table of true speed versus speedo numbers and you can see that the speedo numbers are often higher. This is true even with stock tyres.

However, the difference is often about 4-5 kmph and not as high as you have mentioned.

I use MapmyIndia Vx 140, and have compared the speeds shown there against my speedo for long highway drives. In my Palio, surprisingly the speedo is very accurate (less than 1% error)! However, in my SX4, the error is high. SX4 shows a constant error of about 5 kmph (higher speed on speedo than GPS).

When in doubt, I would trust my GPS speed more than the speedo of the SX4. However, if you are using cell phone based GPS, then I am not sure what the accuracy of that is.
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote