Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th April 2012, 18:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Minimum km running required for diesel cars

I own a Fiesta diesel, I take it out 2 to 3 times a week. The engine starts in the first crank itself. If I take my car out, my minimum driving will be about 40 kms. I avoid short runs as much as possible. I think its better to take the diesel vehicle out more, purely from a maintenance point of view, as sgiikt rightly pointed out.
Optimus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 22:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its a misconception. Its just that every morning have a habit, of putting it in idle for about 5 minutes in normal and 10 minutes in winter. No acceleration whatsoever. Just idle.

While shutting it down wait for at least 1 minute before shutting it down.

Modern Diesel are low on maintenance just like petrol now. They are great during rainy season. chances of messing them up is way lower than petrol.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Hi All,
I own a 2 year old 2012 model i20 asta crdi which has run 30,000 kms. I got an assignment in UK and would be staying there for 2-3 years. My parents would not drive and is not willing to sell the car. I can get my friends or drivers to regularly take out the car so that it would not get damaged although we would not be employing permanent driver. I have the below queries on maintaining this car:
1) How soon we use or start the car to avoid any issue with it (once a week, twice a week etc.)
2) The car according to my calculation may run 10 km in a week by taking out on a weekend, and would only account to less than 1000km per year. Should we still follow regular service schedule in a year or stick to oil change only.
3) Selling is out of question, please donít suggest the same.

Please let me know all the precautions and steps to be taken so that it will remain in showroom condition like now.
baludharmarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 18:26   #19
BHPian

I'm in the same boat. My new car is lying unused back home. Since its a Hyundai, the battery keeps draining out, so weekly starts are a must. Change the oil as per schedule as it gets acidic. A yearly once service maybe required, but I'm not sure about that.

1) How soon we use or start the car to avoid any issue with it (once a week, twice a week etc.)
2) The car according to my calculation may run 10 km in a week by taking out on a weekend, and would only account to less than 1000km per year. Should we still follow regular service schedule in a year or stick to oil change only.

Please let me know all the precautions and steps to be taken so that it will remain in showroom condition like now.[/quote]
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 18:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
...Since its a Hyundai, the battery keeps draining out, so weekly starts are a must...
Could you please elaborate on that? Why would the battery keep draining because it's a Hyundai?

Stock battery on my Santro lasted well beyond 7 years with next to nil maintenance. Of course, it was a petrol car, but someone really need to tell me why a diesel Hyundai consumes battery when lying idle.
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 18:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Change the oil as per schedule as it gets acidic.
Could you please elaborate on that statement too?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 21:00   #22
BANNED

I drive a Verna CRDi and have kept it unused continuously for 6 weeks, four time in a year, while I was travelling on business and it fire up just fine when I come back. I haven't faced any problem for not using it for a couple of days. Rat damages are the only thing you need to be worried about while keeping a car unused for a couple of days, IMO
D4Drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 01:39   #23
BHPian

I have a diesel car in the family. 5.5 years old and has just done 34K kms. Long periods (upto 3 months) of non usage were a part of this. Still no issues to any of the engine parts. The only issue that we face is sometimes the battery discharges and then we have to get a jump start done as this car does not start using a dhakka start (it's designed like that)
M5_fan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 07:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Our Scorpio was used quite a bit in first 3 years of ownership.
But for the past 2 years, owing to other additions, she does like 30-40 kms per month, until we take it on a road trip. Its a 2010 with 63K on its odo.
Still on its 5+ Year old battery.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4Drive View Post
I drive a Verna CRDi and have kept it unused continuously for 6 weeks, four time in a year, while I was travelling on business and it fire up just fine when I come back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
I have a diesel car in the family. 5.5 years old and has just done 34K kms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Our Scorpio was used quite a bit in first 3 years of ownership...
Could you please tell the service interval that was followed. If I follow the manual, after two years I would be changing the parts that's only required in 50k Km at 34K km.
baludharmarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
Could you please tell the service interval that was followed. If I follow the manual, after two years I would be changing the parts that's only required in 50k Km at 34K km.
Ok. So for the basic service parts like oil filter, oil, air filter, power steering fluid etc. I followed the normal service interval as specified.

For all other parts like brake pads, tyres, discs and basically other wear and tear parts, I only replaced them when required and did not follow the service manual.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:36   #27
BHPian

I was told by an engineer that my 18 year old PP 137D needs to be run for a certain number of kilometers a day.
He said that piston rings in diesel engines rotate when a certain RPM is reached, and if this does not happen, the rings can get jammed and lead to back compression later..
He gave me the example of why diesel locomotives are never stopped and are always idling..
Someone please throw some light onto this..
HimuraKenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

I doubt there are any issues with 'minimum running per day' on modern CRDI diesels. You can also keep it idle without use for months on end. But when you do use it eventually, just be sure to clock more than 100 + kms in a single day. That should keep the engine happy and motivated.

Short runs in town and that too repeatedly is not good for diesels because oil does not warm up sufficiently and there can be more engine wear and tear than usual.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 13:30   #29
BHPian

I think those days are gone. Otherwise premium cars won't be selling mostly diesels specially since most people won't be using their cars everyday for long distances.

However yes, maintenance of diesels are more than petrol, even if it is a Maruti.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 16:32   #30
BHPian

I'm not debating about longevity of battery. I'm only saying Battery drains faster in Hyundai. The car needs to be cranked once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Could you please elaborate on that? Why would the battery keep draining because it's a Hyundai?

Stock battery on my Santro lasted well beyond 7 years with next to nil maintenance. Of course, it was a petrol car, but someone really need to tell me why a diesel Hyundai consumes battery when lying idle.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote