Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th January 2015, 23:33   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Spare Wheel is different size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Then how can we do five wheel rotation? The tyre should be switched from the rim during rotation, or four wheel rotation only, keeping the spare tyre brand new?
You don't do a 5 wheel rotation. You use the spare wheel only till your primary wheel is fixed and then swap them back.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 21:45   #32

Hi guys, I have 4 R14 alloys and my spare is R13(did not check the spare rim size during purchase from previous owner),and say i have to use my spare. Will it cause any issue by using R14 and R13 size. Further is there any recommendation like where to use the spare one(in front or rear). I am looking to get an R14 rim to replace the spare, but just wanted to know whether the current one can still be used.
roymj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 17:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymj88 View Post
Hi guys, I have 4 R14 alloys and my spare is R13
Will it cause any issue by using R14 and R13 size.
No issues. The change you observed so far is only on the rim diameter. Place both the wheels (Ground wheel & Spare Wheel) together and you will understand the overall diameter / circumference remain same (R13 spare will have a taller side wall than the R14 regular)

Hope this should clarify
Name:  tire.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  39.8 KB

Quote:
Further is there any recommendation like where to use the spare one(in front or rear)
No such guideline. Use the spare to replace a flat tire (roll back as soon as you got the flat tire repaired)
Quote:
I am looking to get an R14 rim to replace the spare, but just wanted to know whether the current one can still be used.
Current one can be used.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 19th January 2015 at 17:32. Reason: snap added
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 22:51   #34

@Mr.Boss : Thanks a lot. I was thinking the over-all size will decrease as a result of the smaller diameter. Quite dumb from my part.

And yes, the image pretty much answers all the doubts i had. Thank-you!

Cheers
Roy
roymj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 15:06   #35

Default Spare wheel recommendation

My car, Toyota Vitz, didn't come with a spare wheel. It came with a tyre inflator machine instead. A friend suggested me to ask the seller to provide a spare wheel instead of the inflator machine, because he thinks that the machine is not very handy. As per request the seller provided me with a spare wheel.

Once I had a puncture and I used that spare wheel. Later when I took the car to repair the tyre the repairer said my spare wheel is bigger than what it should be for my tyre size. However I didn't feel any unevenness when I was driving with the spare wheel. But I understand that as this is not a stock spare wheel it might be bigger.

Now my question is, what is the formula to find the right spare wheel size. My stock tyre size us 165/70 R14. I don't remember the exact size of the spare wheel but it's 'D16'.
Nahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 17:45   #36
BHPian

Just an observation. If the spare wheel is a steel type, after a puncture in one of our alloy wheels, we tend to get the punctured tyre repaired ASAP and get the spare back in its place.

But incase of a spare wheel which is alloy, we might get lax/forgetful as the spare won't standout from the other wheels, causing us a problem incase of another puncture as the tyre which was punctured earlier would not have been repaired in a timely manner.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote