Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th January 2013, 20:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Power Window Failure? How to manually roll your window up

Piqued my interest, Went through the whole thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Fiddling with wiring, without a circuit diagram or proper diagnosis of fault, is not what is recommended in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I did assume a level of intimacy with wiring and electrical stuff in general, considering the OP explicitly told us twice that he had an IT background.
My two bits on what seems to be the crux of a dispute:
If a person needs advice (ie unable to figure it out for himself) on what to do about a power window problem, I for one would not advise him to fiddle around electrical connections (to a presumably DPDT switch). My advice would be the same as SSTs, mechanical in nature.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 21:59   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Power Window Failure? How to manually roll your window up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
... I park on the road outside my house so it wasn't safe to park the car whole night with a window open... other ideas which can be implemented.
Good post. I have another idea, if the purpose is to protect for a night- a full body cover for the car, I think, could be used to hide the open window from vandals.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Ford Ikon Power Window Cable Replacement GUIDE

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but, I'm having a problem with the driver's window on my Ikon. It seems to be stuck in the downward direction!
Is there a quick fix for this because my local mechanic claims that it'll cost around 1500-2000 for a switch that I'll have to procure myself from Opera House (with no warranty!)!
yash1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 08:24   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Ikon Power Window Cable Replacement GUIDE

The switch can be fixed in some cases. If you are competent enough to open it up. You only need a screwdriver to check. And when you say stuck- describe the symptoms a little more. Is the window stuck and refuses to go up or down? Or does it go down, but refuses to come up?
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 12:06   #35
BHPian

The window is stuck(closed). The upward direction of the switch for the driver's window doesn't have a tactile feel like the other three window switches. When I press the switch in the downward direction(to roll down the window), the tactile feel is present but the window doesn't roll down at all! This gets really annoying when I have to pay tolls et cetera!
Old 13th April 2014, 14:27   #36
BHPian

Your switch does appear to be damaged. Perhaps it can be repaired, but you'll have to open it up to see. I doubt this is the case, but you can have a buildup of crud on the contacts. Cleaning them does the trick.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 15:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
Your switch does appear to be damaged. Perhaps it can be repaired, but you'll have to open it up to see. I doubt this is the case, but you can have a buildup of crud on the contacts. Cleaning them does the trick.
Yeah, I'll check up on that, then! Thanks for the help!