Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th December 2012, 19:52   #16
Default Re: Battery not charging when the engine is running. Discharges completely

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2012 at 13:44.
RSUDARSANAN is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2013, 23:09   #17
Default Re: Battery not charging when the engine is running. Discharges completely

Originally Posted by arjab View Post
For Battery Discharging: Get the rectifier checked/replaced. This is inside the alternator (it's a small rectangular black cube with 9 pins sticking out of it). This was a common failure in Zens.
Just an update just so it might be useful for Zen owners searching the forums facing the same problem.

It was a faulty rectifier and I finally got it fixed.

Thanks for all the help, fellas.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 13:53   #18

Had a similar issue with my 2004 WagonR Lxi last night. At first, the headlights dimmed completely, the speedo console lights went off and the needles jumped up and down a couple of times. The engine kept running all the time, but suddenly it died after driving for another 10 mins (3-4 kms). It won't crank at all after that. Thankfully it was with in a 100 yards of my place, so just pushed the car to a safe parking spot and left it there.

Suspected the battery (replaced last in July 2010 - Amaron sealed) and called the Exide Batmobile guys in the morning. They came very promptly (+1 to Exide) and diagnosed that the alternator isn't giving out the right current - it was 11.9 something as compared to 14 plus. They jump started the car and asked me to get the battery charged and then take it to a service center.

Need advice - should I take the car to a Maruti SS or a visit to the neighborhood electrician is good enough? It doesn't look like the battery is an issue here (at least that's what the Exide guy said).

@Mods: I later found a more relevant thread to post my query. Please feel free to delete this.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 25th February 2013 at 13:57.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote