Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2006, 21:48   #1
ECM
BHPian

Exclamation Problem with my Baleno after I run it for 10 kms in daytime

B4 I start let me say "hi"to all members here and I would try my best to exchange my views with them.I am a Baleno lover and I went threw some posts on Baleno in forum.Let me say few things in 1 line,If any Indian car can offer cooling(A.C) like Baleno,fuel efficiency like Baleno and suspension like Baleno I would love to buy that car tomorrow itself!My Baleno gives me an avg of 20 kms/Ltr on road at a speed of 70Km/Hr.Yes !Keep tyre air pressure at 30 psi(this is v.important) and tell me how much avg you get out of your Baleno!!My posting starts below.
-------------------------------------------------
Let me explain what probe I am facing.
During day time when I run say about 10 K.Ms My baleno starts giving me jerks(like one cylinder stopped working) and Limp home(Indicator for ECM) Indicator comes in panel .To solve this probe I went to service station nearby and they did below operations,
*Being a summer they changed coolant.
*They also changed all spark plugs and put new ones.
*Put a new fuel filter.
But probe is still there,all relays in Box get heat up and specially no.2 relay which is for fuel pump and relay for A.C compressor.If they try to see the ECM code (with the wire link) it shows code no. 13 which is related to Oxygen sensor.
In the night time when climate is cool this probe comes after I drive 20 K.Ms but if A.C is on then this distance become half(5 kms in a day and 10 kms in night).I afraid if my ECM is bad and if thats the case It will be a costly affair.
I came to know many people who use Baleno once faced this problem but it solved when fuel filter and plugs clean/removed but this is not in my case where we have tried almost all things.
This probe rose slowly because 1 month back it used to give me probes after a run of say 80 K.Ms but now time duration is getting smaller and smaller.
The plug in 4th CYL comes Black when technical staff opens it which perhaps shows excess fuel supply in that cylinder(they have twice cleaned nozzles by the way).Which may be happening due to Limp Home as ECM pumps fuel as default.
Last thing I am going to do is to change alternator tomorrow as One person had similar probe and after 15 days he solved it by changing the alternator.The diode in alternator was leaking and feeding pulse in ECM(or ecu)resulting in a malfunction in the ecm.
If anyone can help me to sort out this probe I shall be very much thankful to him.
with warm regars once again to all members and Admin.
Old 7th May 2006, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

You had the injectors cleaned, spark plugs changed, fuel filters. Is your car still under warranty?

If changing the alternator worked with the other guy...maybe you should take a go at it as well. Its ok if its under warranty...but other wise it could be an expensive affair.

By the way, thats some great fuel efficiency that you are getting from your car.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 7th May 2006 at 23:40.
Old 8th May 2006, 00:01   #3
BHPian

@ ECM...I really don't think you are getting the accurate Fuel Economy..! 20 Kmpl on a Baleno...If that was the case Baleno would have been India's highest selling car...! Maruti has some great FE but 20 KMPL on Road under 70 KM City Condition...Man thats something strange....!

If your ECM is working and only has a problem when the AC is on...They Isolate the system and check...!

ECM will Def be a very costly affair...! Get your alternator checked for how much current its producing...Just going by someone else's hunch will not be advisable....What if its doing fine and replacement was not required...First Check and then Change...!

Do post us the solution, so that it may help others..!

regards
Old 8th May 2006, 00:56   #4
ECM
BHPian

Default Read on

No doubt tht I USED TO get 20 kms/ltr,belive me but that before this probe occured 1 month back.Even MASS ppl never used to agree with me on this and then I took him with me and we had a run of 600+ KMs when we both had similar destination and went for darshan in Somnath Temple,he amazed what he saw.Few things I would love to xchange with u all.
*Always change to 5th gear when u hit a speed of 40 KMs on your speedometer.
*Tyre air pressure as I have said must be kept at 30 psi.
*I feel only 20 liters of petrol when I go for a long drive and NEVER feel my tank upto its full capacity,this helps me to reduce weight in my car!
*Keep windows closed if climate is ok.open window glasses cut your avg due to wind force comming into your car.If not needed you are not advised to use AC if its early morning,one may keep the fan on when widows are closed.
I knew no one will belive me on the avg issue I wrote but if you want I can give you a written proof fm MASS owner who is my friend since childhood and we both were in the same class in school.
Baleno is not popular because Maruti never tried agressive marketing on it,they more focused on Zen/Alto/Wagor-R.Next reason is Baleno is w.out air bags and ABS.I am gonna tell them to put all above soon in Baleno with some interior changes.Try Baleno and see its AC,I saw one report in E.Times few months back where in test drive Baleno's AC found exactly like Mercedez_E class car,me not saying this coz I own Baleno.In my family we have 5 Balenos but one thing is noticable here.Mine is the oldest one(model2001)and then Maruti did some minor changes in it.Rest all 4 cars clocks an avg of 17 where mine gives 20(b4 this probe and I am sure it will again give me same avg after I solve this probe).
I as wolfinstein said did check the volatage and currents comming out of my car and it was more than normal(14.65 volts)that means something worth trying in Alternator side.Normal voltage in Idle is around 14.30 though I have not checked voltage when Limp Home indicator comes.
Tomorrow night I shall post the result of my last effort(s) and will let u know on this probe.I love sharing issues coz I suffered in past in many cars.Knowledge doubles when u share it and I belive in it.
Old 8th May 2006, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
*Tyre air pressure as I have said must be kept at 30 psi.
*I feel only 20 liters of petrol when I go for a long drive and NEVER feel my tank upto its full capacity,this helps me to reduce weight in my car!
Two queries, if you will ..
# What tyres do you use ?
# If you fill 20 litres at a time .. could you elaborate on how you calculate the FE ?
Old 8th May 2006, 14:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
@ ECM...I really don't think you are getting the accurate Fuel Economy..! 20 Kmpl on a Baleno...If that was the case Baleno would have been India's highest selling car...! Maruti has some great FE but 20 KMPL on Road under 70 KM City Condition...Man thats something strange....!
Rightly said.

Maruti sales guys themselves claim 12 ~ 13 kmpl in banglaore city.

Now in reality when my baleno started giving me 8 kmpl and i call up maruti guys they say baleno gives 10 kmpl in city. Wow what a change in their claims once the car is sold.

and you are talking about 20 kmpl......this is ridiculous to say the least.
Old 8th May 2006, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Common, don't ridicule him. Some other Baleno happy person, who is getting 13-14 in city in city might ridicule you for getting such poor FE

Based on his post, I guess, he is getting FE of 20 KMPH on highway with very very careful driving. Many of us get 16-18 kmpl on highways, so his might be just little more extreme case.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Common, don't ridicule him. Some other Baleno happy person, who is getting 13-14 in city in city might ridicule you for getting such poor FE
Hey RX135,

please dont remind me of baleno giving 13-14 kmpl in city.......this reminds me of the maruti salesguys claim before i bought it
Old 8th May 2006, 15:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said.

Now in reality when my baleno started giving me 8 kmpl and i call up maruti guys they say baleno gives 10 kmpl in city. Wow what a change in their claims once the car is sold.

Just coz you have a problem with FE in your car doesn't mean that others have to get the same.

I suggest you get your car checked and your driving style checked as well . I get around 13-14kmpl comfortably in mumbai traffic conditions with Bp Speed as my preferred fuel. This thread is regarding ECM and the problems he has with his car. Plz don't go here.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
This thread is regarding ECM and the problems he has with his car. Plz don't go here.
Hey Prince, the FE of 20 kmpl was claimed in this thread itself, if this was a ECM only, then there was no need for 20 kmpl claim.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
I suggest you get your car checked and your driving style checked as well . I get around 13-14kmpl comfortably in mumbai traffic conditions with Bp Speed as my preferred fuel. This thread is regarding ECM and the problems he has with his car. Plz don't go here.
Someone bit touchy here, huh? Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't this sound like the same issue nithinbag was having with his Sienna?
Old 8th May 2006, 15:21   #13
BHPian

Exclamation

12 ~ 13 in Bangalore city! You should be really lucky, if you ever acheive FE like that. Being a bangalorean, to be realistic, you should get around 10 ~ 11 kmpl. If not, wait for some more runs with fuel from a different fuel station. If the FE remains the same, then there might be a probem

Quote:
Rightly said.

Old 8th May 2006, 15:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ECM- The problem is with your Ignition Coil.Get it changed.If you have one Ignition goil unit for all 4 spark plugs you will have to replace the whole Ignition coil unit or you can replace the ignition coil for the particular cyliner which goes bad.

Hope this solves your problem.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Prince, the FE of 20 kmpl was claimed in this thread itself, if this was a ECM only, then there was no need for 20 kmpl claim.
I never said that 20kmpl was never claimed by ECM. He maybe getting 20kmpl in his car, so what are you trying to say??? Is he joking!!!.

But his objective for opening this thread was a problem he has with his car and not to discuss about FE that he gets in his Baleno. I hope you understand and stick to the topic.

You have made it obvious in many other threads that you are not happy with FE you get from your Baleno. Soo i feel its better if you post your views atleast in this thread only if you have a solution to the problem our friend, a fellow T_BHPIAN(ECM) is facing.

Thats it
Closed Thread