Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 14:09   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Thank you all for responding and clearing the doubt.

I agree that its the coolant temperature that takes time but there is no need to put on the AC.

For all those who have issue of FOGGING and FROSTING from INSIDE. They need to regulate to the Fresh Air mode as buildup of fog is due to the temperature differential here interiors are warmer than exterior air. Also remember that while using Windshield vents it is always recommended by the manufacturer to use Fresh Air mode.

I remember many ACC owners complaining that the fresh air automatically gets activated in the European manufactured cars. Reason for this is that if the interiors are getting warmer and the temperature is high, buildup of CO2 and then CO is imminent in car that can be lethal if Fresh air is not introduced and stale air (CO/CO2) not forced out. Also try and regulate the thermostat as
having it in extreme positions does not really help.

FROSTING OUTSIDE: Yes I recommend turning ON the AC in recirculation mode to get if off fast as interiors are more cold than outside.

I have driven in sub zero temperatures to be precise till -10*C but it was snowing and maybe that is the reason only Fresh air and warm thermostat settings sufficed.

For those who think moisture and lack of it is the reason: Air conditioning (cooling) creates lack of moisture as it tries to make the atmosphere more dry to create cooling (dry eyes and buckets full of water from ACs in peak summer).

However, it is bizarre to see many use heating + AC in recirculation mode. I checked with many colleagues and they all seem to be using AC in ON state with the same settings and so I conclude that I am the odd one out. I hope we can all educate the alternative method to those around us. I say alternative as in some cars its automatic (ACC equipped ones) and for manual cars its a case of owner's will to adhere to what he believes and what works for them.

Thank you!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 14:25   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Keep the compressor running along with the heater, to prevent the inside surfaces of your windscreens and windows misting up. All ACC systems run the compressor simultaneously with the heater.
Only if you want them to,in my Vehicle,either i can use the compressor in full auto mode,and let it manage the airflow,else i can set the temperature to say 25 degrees,and let the heating coil do its work without the compressor.

There is a defogger mode,which switches on the compressor,temperature at 32 degrees,with fresh air intake,along the rear defogger,even heavy mist on the inside gets cleared up in less than a minute in this mode.


Also,if i use heater without compressor,and set air circulation to fresh air mode,glasses and windshield hardly get fogged up from inside.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 8th January 2013 at 14:40.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 14:50   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 225
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Thank you all for responding and clearing the doubt.

I agree that its the coolant temperature that takes time but there is no need to put on the AC.

For all those who have issue of FOGGING and FROSTING from INSIDE. They need to regulate to the Fresh Air mode as buildup of fog is due to the temperature differential here interiors are warmer than exterior air. Also remember that while using Windshield vents it is always recommended by the manufacturer to use Fresh Air mode.

I remember many ACC owners complaining that the fresh air automatically gets activated in the European manufactured cars. Reason for this is that if the interiors are getting warmer and the temperature is high, buildup of CO2 and then CO is imminent in car that can be lethal if Fresh air is not introduced and stale air (CO/CO2) not forced out. Also try and regulate the thermostat as
having it in extreme positions does not really help.

FROSTING OUTSIDE: Yes I recommend turning ON the AC in recirculation mode to get if off fast as interiors are more cold than outside.

I have driven in sub zero temperatures to be precise till -10*C but it was snowing and maybe that is the reason only Fresh air and warm thermostat settings sufficed.

For those who think moisture and lack of it is the reason: Air conditioning (cooling) creates lack of moisture as it tries to make the atmosphere more dry to create cooling (dry eyes and buckets full of water from ACs in peak summer).

However, it is bizarre to see many use heating + AC in recirculation mode. I checked with many colleagues and they all seem to be using AC in ON state with the same settings and so I conclude that I am the odd one out. I hope we can all educate the alternative method to those around us. I say alternative as in some cars its automatic (ACC equipped ones) and for manual cars its a case of owner's will to adhere to what he believes and what works for them.

Thank you!
You are right in suggesting using only fresh air in combination with the heating (without turning the AC on) and I do use it thus many times. However while traversing through polluted roads of Delhi, or over the Yamunala or next to the Ghaziabad's land fill, we find it better to live with the 'stale' air inside the cabin than let the stench (and or fumes) in. The only way to clear up the misting wind screen and the windows then, is to turn the AC on to remove the moisture.

We have tried using the 'wind screen and feet' mode but none of us in our family can tolerate the warm air that hits the face. It actually makes my wife and son nauseous.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 18:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,629
Thanked: 10,862 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
My concern is in extremely cold weather like we have in Delhi, its not wise to immediately put extra load of AC especially when we start in the morning.

In my Sx4, i truly miss the front windshield de-fogger.
Hi Amit: I live in Delhi too, in case you haven't noticed! At morning startup temperatures as prevailing now, the AC compressor does not cut in even if you switch it on, because the thermostat reads the ambient cabin temperature as too cold anyway.

Your SX4 will have a front winscreen defogger setting. Please go through the manual.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 19:05   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
We have tried using the 'wind screen and feet' mode but none of us in our family can tolerate the warm air that hits the face. It actually makes my wife and son nauseous.
I myself can't stand the warmth too much, the max heating I will set is two bars to the left of blue/centre or 16 deg in winters. There is no point heating the car too much, once you are settled in you automatically feel warm.

But I do believe you switch the thermo stat settings to cold once you go to re-circulation mode. This will minimize your discomfort and fogging.

I believe all our members are aware that too much of heating via plastic dashboards has ill effects of its own. Though there is no regulated study conducted but for a car full with passengers should try and ventilate if they get out in the open. I am not say must but if in doubt about any fumes or someone getting uneasy, try fresh air.

I agree with an earlier post, there is no special windshield defogger but the air vents placed in the dash to defog.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,210
Thanked: 4,843 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

My window & windscreen glass begins fogging up, if the A/C isn't switched on. Its more pronounced at night-time.

I have to keep A/C on.

OT - Have been noticing that the hot air isn't as hot as earlier, or is it too cold outside? Brrrr.....
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:27   #22
BHPian
 
rajcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 226
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
However, it is bizarre to see many use heating + AC in recirculation mode. I checked with many colleagues and they all seem to be using AC in ON state with the same settings and so I conclude that I am the odd one out. I hope we can all educate the alternative method to those around us. I say alternative as in some cars its automatic (ACC equipped ones) and for manual cars its a case of owner's will to adhere to what he believes and what works for them.
You are right that compressor is not necessary for heating. My Fabia manual clearly states that ac is not be be switched on in heating mode. The heating is provided by engine coolant.

The manual also recommends keeping fresh air inlet on to prevent frosting and uneasiness except for short time if you need fast heating.

I feel in heating mode its more comfortable to direct the air to windshield, side vents and feet rather than onto the face.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 14:48   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

I don't use A/C with heater and things are working for me without any issue.

As simple as that.

For clearing fog/mist I switch the circulation switch to fresh air mode and use A/C or heater respectively for summers/rain and winters.

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th January 2013 at 14:50.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 19:39   #24
BHPian
 
amitpunjani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 451
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I don't use A/C with heater and things are working for me without any issue.

As simple as that.

For clearing fog/mist I switch the circulation switch to fresh air mode and use A/C or heater respectively for summers/rain and winters.
Buddy, +1 to you, i do the same, winters is the best time to gain mileage, why to decrease the mileage with AC.

I too just switch on the fresh air mode, to clear the mist.

BR

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 19:59   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 274
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
You are absolutely right.No need of switching on the AC while the heater is on. This practice is done only when you need to rapidly defog the front windshield.

Infact my i20 has a defog button for the front windshield. On clicking it the ACC switches on the heater,the AC with full fan speed and directs the air to the windshield.The windshield is cleared in a matter of seconds and you can switch it off.

Would he ever switch on an AC and an heater in the same room at home? Its exactly the same thing.
I have a i20 as well and this is what I do to survive winter commutes and NH-1 runs:

1. Keep the temperature control at 20C for long distance runs. 22-23C for short commutes.

2. Keep fan speed at 3-4

3. Keep air circulation mode as on i.e. recirculate air inside car.

Now mostly the car and windshield remains fog free. When fogging occurs I turn off air circulation and the window clears up. Switch on and off as you go driving. It is convinient as the circulation button is close to the gear knob.

I find the defogger irritating due to the wind noise, so keep it for emergency only.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 20:21   #26
BHPian
 
latentpotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IIM, Ahmedabad
Posts: 502
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

In a Swift with Climate Control:

In full Auto mode, it shows the A/C Icon, however, the compressor is definitely off as you can easily sense and understand the same. Also, it changes circulation to outside/ fresh air mode as well.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 21:35   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In winters you need to put AC on as putting on only the heater will fog up your windows.
Try this experiment.
Put blower to windsheild and put on blower without AC. Window will fog up.
When you switch on AC, the window will clear
It doesn't. I have used only the heater for the past 2 winters in Delhi, never had to switch on the AC to get rid of fog.

In fact, when the heater is not put to windshield at times it starts fogging up but when I put it to windshield the fog disappears.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 00:56   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
It doesn't. I have used only the heater for the past 2 winters in Delhi, never had to switch on the AC to get rid of fog.

In fact, when the heater is not put to windshield at times it starts fogging up but when I put it to windshield the fog disappears.
So you turned the direction to heating and did not turn on the AC compressor and the front windscreen fog dissappeared! Never happened with with me. I keep know at full heating, but have to switch on AC compressor to get rid of the fogging inside the front windscreen
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 01:00   #29
BHPian
 
abhinavinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 74
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

I own an XUV500 and even M&M engineers believe in turning AC in ON mode and in recirculate mode to remove the mist from the front windshield. Simple demonstration- When I press the front windshield defogger button, the system automatically sets the default AC settings to
AC-on
Recirculate mode- on
This clearly confirms the suggestions made by various BHPians in previous posts.
If however I put the system to ACC mode and cabin temperature to highest, The AC doesn't ever switch on.
But if we set temperature knob to coldest(blue zone) setting and then turn on the AC, is the mist on the windshield relieved in winters??

Last edited by abhinavinc : 11th January 2013 at 01:07.
abhinavinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 01:09   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Delhi/Cuttack
Posts: 373
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Winters : Use Heater with or without compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you turned the direction to heating and did not turn on the AC compressor and the front windscreen fog dissappeared! Never happened with with me. I keep know at full heating, but have to switch on AC compressor to get rid of the fogging inside the front windscreen
Do you have the re-circulation mode on? I get the feeling that if you switched that off, the fogging would go away with just windscreen vents+heating (and no ac).
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration of a new car without any broker(without paying bribe) in Noida hdi_pro Indian Car Loans & Insurance 56 23rd March 2017 20:40
Winters are here : Getz CRDi getz some iCe! aZa In-Car Entertainment 68 22nd December 2010 00:23
Kinnaur in winters... anybody done that tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 18 17th December 2008 23:32
FE in winters Rodeo Technical Stuff 11 3rd January 2007 15:15
Does heater consume engine power? DCEite Technical Stuff 21 5th January 2006 00:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks