Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th May 2013, 00:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The car looks good after the paint job though it's screaming out for a good set of alloys.If vitamin M is a issue you could try for used alloys in good condition.Maybe the team-bhp classifieds could help you out.

Good Luck with the car.
Hi Sumeet

Thanks for the compliments and Yes for the suggestion on the alloy wheels Yes that is definitely in the plan as it will enhance the look of the car

Thanks for dropping by thread.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Sushil: The car looks great! The Uno has a shape with which one can experiment with dual shades. Looks like the fever of using black and white combinations is spreading! Check out a similar combination on Team-BHPian e30b16's excellent 118 NE here (The Premier 118 NE thread).

What are the plans for the wheels? Do you have any changes in mind like alloys?

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Hi Rahul Bhai

Thanks for the compliment and the encloragement on dual shades. Yes in deed the fever is spreading. also checked out the thread the 118ne looks awesome. For the wheels I am looking at the alloys as an option for a complete muscle car look. Hope I find dsome good set of alloys soon.

As of now waiting for the paperwork to be completed

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by Eddy : 19th May 2013 at 22:41. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
sushil_n79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 21:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored

[quote=sushil_n79;3120042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post

I ll need your inputs on the same as its been painted and restored by the same mechanic from our club who restored your Fleet of Vintage cars including the Uno. In fact this theme was also encouraged by him when we asked him the inputs.
Sushil,
This is the fatal mistake you have done and its no point blaming FCCH mechanic. A mechanic fixes the mechanicals of the car, where as the painter is an artist, who would let his imagine flow and bring the flavour to the paint job. FCCH has a different set of painter and denters for painting the car. If only if you had bothered to check with me, I would have guided you the FCCH painter.
Here are just some of the examples of my cars restored by my patent painter for the last 10 years. Some of the cars have not lost their sheen as they are given a yearly coat of polish religiously.

Likewise this painter has painted many FCCH cars.
Attached Thumbnails
My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-1.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-1969-fiat-1100-delight.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-3.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-f.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-d.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-11.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-p2230006.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-dsc00052.jpg  

My Salute to the Fiat Uno - Restored-5.jpg  

hillram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 08:42   #18
BHPian

[quote=hillram;3121045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post

Sushil,

Likewise this painter has painted many FCCH cars.
Hi Ram
Good Day
Hope this finds you in the best of health and spirits.
Thanks for explaining the difference between a mechanic and a painter. Although I was just making you aware of what the mechanic has done and not blaming him ,Just wanted to know that when you get your cars restored ,are they not handed over to the mechanic for him to ensure the job gets done by his own set of painters and denters?
As you say that FCCH has a different set of painter and denters for painting the car. I was under the impression that when you hand it over to your mechanic he takes care of everything for you right ? (including the painting and denting work) , as far as I am aware we do not have a seperate set of crafts man whom we interact with regarding paint job or denting work as never seen anyone of them in the meets that we ha till date except the mechanic himself. Also the fact that everyone who works on the car is under the purview of the mechanic himself .
please clarify on the same .
Moreover If only if you had bothered to check with me, I would have guided you the FCCH painter.I really do appreciate your efforts to help me out but even when I confirmed with the mechanic he told that all your cars have been restored by the same painter and denter who worked on my car. So I did not see the need to reconfirm the same with you as the statement from the mechanic is an evidence enough of the fact that everything is being taken care by the mechanic himself.
Its Good that you are enlightening us on the facts which were never discussed by you before . Once you are in Hyderabad. do let me know what else can be done to rectify the so called negligence. Looking forward for your assistance and support on the same.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 15th May 2013, 10:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sushil_n79;3122342]
Quote:

Hi Ram
Good Day
Hope this finds you in the best of health and spirits.
Thanks for explaining the difference between a mechanic and a painter. Although I was just making you aware of what the mechanic has done and not blaming him ,Just wanted to know that when you get your cars restored ,are they not handed over to the mechanic for him to ensure the job gets done by his own set of painters and denters?
As you say that FCCH has a different set of painter and denters for painting the car. I was under the impression that when you hand it over to your mechanic he takes care of everything for you right ? (including the painting and denting work) , as far as I am aware we do not have a seperate set of crafts man whom we interact with regarding paint job or denting work as never seen anyone of them in the meets that we ha till date except the mechanic himself. Also the fact that everyone who works on the car is under the purview of the mechanic himself .
please clarify on the same .
Moreover If only if you had bothered to check with me, I would have guided you the FCCH painter.I really do appreciate your efforts to help me out but even when I confirmed with the mechanic he told that all your cars have been restored by the same painter and denter who worked on my car. So I did not see the need to reconfirm the same with you as the statement from the mechanic is an evidence enough of the fact that everything is being taken care by the mechanic himself.
Its Good that you are enlightening us on the facts which were never discussed by you before . Once you are in Hyderabad. do let me know what else can be done to rectify the so called negligence. Looking forward for your assistance and support on the same.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Sushil,
Mechanic and Painter are two different entities. Im hearing for the first time that some one has left the car to the purview of mechanic to oversee painting. At FCCH we dont follow this process, Im sure no one follows this process too.
The members are guided properly and advised and tasks are taken up as per their requirement , taste and budget available.
In your case, you never consulted me or Balaji , who is also an acquiatance to you and founder member of FCCH.
Now let me enlighten the real truth of your story, as I spoke to my mechanic, who restored your car.
1.You advised the painter to just do a touch up job to cover up the scratches and dents, so that minimum of amount would be spent on the painting job.
In the end, what we are seeing is only one coat of paint on your Uno. A proper paint job needs atleast 3-4 coats and a clear coat.

2.Black colour on the bonnet was never advised by my mechanic, as it was instructed by you to painter to do it that way. Infact my mechanic advised to paint the wheel rims in silver, but you wanted black as this would be an extra cost.

3.My mechanic never quoted that all my above cars were done by this painter , which means there is a clear communication gap. My cars were painted much before FCCH came into existance.

To conclude, as i had envisaged and quoted earlier , your restoration was compromised by yourself as you wanted to spend minimum money. My mechanic would have refered to FCCH painter , who would have done a top notch job, but you wanted to minimise costs, hence the outcome is very mediocre.

Im actually aware of the entire break down of your restoration cost, but I dont want to post it in this forum

If you want to fix this and get a proper job done , it will cost further money and a good amount of money. Good Luck.

Last edited by hillram : 15th May 2013 at 10:51.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 17:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sushil,

Good to know that though you couldn't save your dads car but still lived with the patronage of FIAT and went ahead to restore one of its breed. By far one of the best cars in terms of safety, performance is UNO, I have experienced utmost pleasure owning it and then went ahead to PALIO 1.2 el assuming it would be one level more however PALIO did not please me as much as UNO did AFAIK UNO has the beauty with those sharp lines and the boy racer looks which can be easily moulded into a head turner, I bet!

Don't take me wrong when I say the car hasn't turned out the way it should have been even though you spending 40k which in my opinion is a good enough investment to get a decent outcome. When I was going through the thread and read the paint is completed I did not feel the car is been given a fresh coat of paint in this case I guess the mechanic has compromised to a great extent.

Sushil what I feel is a mechanic in all cases wouldn't have the same feel, excitement, thoughts as the owner would have. It shocked me to a great level that you went ahead with the mechanic say, why did you not question the painter I am sure you must have visited him before or after paint is done, ''a stitch in time saves nine'' now your relative need not live with that disappointment.

Now coming to the mechanics purview is concerned you are right mechanics do suggest tinkerers, painters, electricians and what not but I am surprised to know that you are in a thought that you need to go with them, you have recently restored your dad scooter and you took the initiatives and did a good job if I am not wrong!

Now since FCCH is mentioned let me clarify to one and all on behalf of FCCH '' FCCH doesn't not recommend or promote any mechanic, painter, tinkerer to that matter anybody whatsoever to it's members, it's that the members who have got a good service share their experiences with others, yes muneer was one of them at one point time though with others it was different, we even have got negative feedback also, hence FCCH WILL NOT TAKE ANY OWNERSHIP IN THIS REGARD.

Me or Ram would be more than happy to help any member or nonmember who want our help, I suggest members to be cautious while taking up any job on their precious machines. Never give the complete responsibility to the mechanic until and unless you are 100% sure. There is no hard and fast rule that mechanic should or mechanics suggested people only should do the restoration.

Sushil you could have contacted me or Ram while restoring your relative UNO. Please feel free for any help in future I am available for you.

Regards,

Bala
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post

Sushil you could have contacted me or Ram while restoring your relative UNO.
I have gone to the extent that people from Bangalore call me asking for ways to restore their cars and I promptly direct them to Pawan Kadam who is an expert restorer of Vintage cars.

Sushil,
We are only pointing what could have been a better result and how it could have been achieved. Also the facts you have presented here are not correct and authentic and dont gel with your restoration process.
IMHO, you should restore a car first to satisfy your self and it should make a signature statement. The purpose of brining it to Vintage car meets is different and has a all togather another perspective.
I still donot know why you have started this thread, as I dont find anything informative , innovative or distinctive that can capture the reader's mind.

Perhaps a better idea is to take the car to New Mars who will do a perfect job is brining the lost sheen. I can connect you with Prabhu or Raveendra of New Mars.

Mods : Please dont think Im promoting New Mars in anyway. Im just trying to help Susheel with his restoration.
Old 15th May 2013, 23:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sushil, if you think the car deserves the best what probably can be done now is to see what best can be achieved out of it at no high expenses, if you also feel the same then call me and I am sure there is a way out.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 23:32   #23
BHPian

Smile

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Hi Ram and Bala

Thanks for helping me out here but the complete truth is not what you perceive it to be
Moreover Ram you seem to have got into a defensive mode with the series of events and the posts which you have been shooting at me .Let me help you to get things in proper perspective. I am presenting below the explanation to all your comments.

Sushil,
Mechanic and Painter are two different entities. Im hearing for the first time that some one has left the car to the purview of mechanic to oversee painting

Its really strange only in Hyderabad that none of the mechanics whether they repair two wheelers or four wheelers seem to be confident enough as in all other places like New Delhi, Bhopal MP, and Mumbai Maharashtra the practice followed while restoration of a vehicle is that the mechanic picks it up from home and liaisons with denter, painter and completes the restoration process as per what the customer needs and delivers it home within the promised time frame. I am only seeing here that things are being put off endlessly by everyone be it mechanic,electrician,plumber etc. I guess people are not inclined to work and think of new ways to make easy money.

At FCCH we dont follow this process, Im sure no one follows this process too.
I myself have seen people discussing in the meets that all the vehicles are taken care whether its denting painting or repairing by one person alone, But its really strange that you donít recollect the same and claim that no one follows this process.

The members are guided properly and advised and tasks are taken up as per their requirement , taste and budget available.In your case, you never consulted me or Balaji , who is also an acquiatance to you and founder member of FCCH
I would not deny that fact that there is ample support from the club to everyone who is passionate about maintaining the classics, But on second thoughts I think I should have informed you before starting the project., But its better late than never. Now that we are discussing the various aspects here I would look forward to the support from your end as well. Hope I wont be denied.

Now let me enlighten the real truth of your story, as I spoke to my mechanic, who restored your car.You advised the painter to just do a touch up job to cover up the scratches and dents, so that minimum of amount would be spent on the painting job.
In the end, what we are seeing is only one coat of paint on your Uno. A proper paint job needs atleast 3-4 coats and a clear coat.
Well, I am afraid that you have only half the story ram. The painter assured me that the paint would be intact when the denting work is done so I need not worry about it after the denting was completed to my horror it had become worse than what it was earlier, Then too he assured me that single coat will be sufficient and assured me not to worry on that front. But vehickle was at denters shop for 1 month, with mechanic for rubbing for 15 days and finally when painted was exposed to all sorts of earthly stuff like dust , rain and direct sun in the open for 1 month before it was polished so what you see is a paint job with all the ingredients for a poor finish. So basically I was lured into believing him that whatever he said was true , how wrong I was and all the time he kept on assuring me that he is the mechanic for FCCH so would never cheat me.

.Black colour on the bonnet was never advised by my mechanic, as it was instructed by you to painter to do it that way. Infact my mechanic advised to paint the wheel rims in silver, but you wanted black as this would be an extra cost
It is true that I had advised him to do it and if you look at the finish of the car in person I feel that inspite of being a single coat the shine is marvelous . Since the picture posted was in less light in the parking area thatís why the effectiveness of the finish is not seen But as far as paint is concerned it has turned out well according to me.

.My mechanic never quoted that all my above cars were done by this painter , which means there is a clear communication gap. My cars were painted much before FCCH came into existence
It is indeed strange that both of us have a different version of story. AS far as your maruti car and matiz is concerned as far as I am aware it was done by the same person who did mine. But for others I am not trying to question them but what about the last two. Moreover it only speaks that the mechanic is trying to promote himself as well through the club to others .

To conclude, as i had envisaged and quoted earlier , your restoration was compromised by yourself as you wanted to spend minimum money. My mechanic would have refered to FCCH painter , who would have done a top notch job, but you wanted to minimise costs, hence the outcome is very mediocre
Im actually aware of the entire break down of your restoration cost, but I dont want to post it in this forum If you want to fix this and get a proper job done , it will cost further money and a good amount of money. Good Luck
I have gone to the extent that people from Bangalore call me asking for ways to restore their cars and I promptly direct them to Pawan Kadam who is an expert restorer of Vintage cars. Sushil,We are only pointing what could have been a better result and how it could have been achieved. Also the facts you have presented here are not correct and authentic and dont gel with your restoration process. IMHO, you should restore a car first to satisfy your self and it should make a signature statement. The purpose of brining it to Vintage car meets is different and has a all togather another perspective.
I still donot know why you have started this thread, as I dont find anything informative , innovative or distinctive that can capture the reader's mind.

Well as far as the restoration is concerned I am happy with the way it has turned out as per the efforts which were put in. It is just you who feel that costs were minimized and the outcome was mediocre .Had I wanted to cut costs I would not have spent what I have in this project I do not want to get into the details of the cost factor in this forum as well, since you claim to be fully aware of the same So Please donít make false acquisions about things you are not sure of.

Now since FCCH is mentioned let me clarify to one and all on behalf of FCCH '' FCCH doesn't not recommend or promote any mechanic, painter, tinkerer to that matter anybody whatsoever to it's members, it's that the members who have got a good service share their experiences with others, yes muneer was one of them at one point time though with others it was different, we even have got negative feedback also, hence FCCH WILL NOT TAKE ANY OWNERSHIP IN THIS REGARD.
Thanks For enlightening us on the same Bala , But the same is not expected of the club as well as it is just an indicative measure that we follow . No one can guarantee anything for that matter. I do agree to the fact that FCCH does not recommend any of the people mentioned above but what we do is we just share our experiences about a mechanic and spread information about that mechanic in the club as a word of mouth. But this aspect may or may not be interpreted as promoting or recommending we are just sharing information.

But its ok The point is not what was right and what went wrong or who was right and who was wrong , guess I will have to live with my own grudges as I have been royally taken for a ride by everyone including the mechanic which explains for itself why I am totally disappointed and mad at certain aspects of the vehicle I am just awaiting the paperwork to be completed which has been delayed endlessly. So if you can help me to get this straightened first I would really appreciate the same and as far as the restoration is concerned we can look into that later on..I am sure, like always you both will be able to help me out whenever I need help and I can count on you both as far as restoration is concerned

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi Sushil, if you think the car deserves the best what probably can be done now is to see what best can be achieved out of it at no high expenses, if you also feel the same then call me and I am sure there is a way out.
Hi Bala

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the same and would look forward to the support. Just waiting for a few things to fall in place. I will surely contact you once I have the paperwork completed,

Regards

Sushil

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2013 at 13:33. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 04:16   #24
BHPian

If you desire an authentic older Italian supermini, it would never be pristine! The paint would be faded, the panels scraped but the car would be loved, driven to within an inch of its life everyday - but mechanically it would be good.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 07:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
If you desire an authentic older Italian supermini, it would never be pristine! The paint would be faded, the panels scraped but the car would be loved, driven to within an inch of its life everyday - but mechanically it would be good.

Thanks FlatOut. This is exactly the actual fact. Liked it. Very well said and the truth that although the paint would be faded and panels scraped but the car would be loved, driven to within an inch of its life everyday.
Old 16th May 2013, 11:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sushil,
How are you sure about my Maruti and Matiz being painted by the same painter who did your Uno ? You mean to say, you know better than me about my cars? This is outrageous.
All my cars and FCCH restorations are done with a particular painter for last 10 years.
Munir refered you to ordinary painter because you were not willing to shell out proper money for the paint job. When you dont pay properly to the workmanship, obviosuly the delay is inherent and the outcome is compromised. Also as we speak, you have not settled the amount with the mechanic till date , which is due to him. This is simply unfair.
Old 16th May 2013, 17:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks FlatOut. This is exactly the actual fact. Liked it. Very well said and the truth that although the paint would be faded and panels scraped but the car would be loved, driven to within an inch of its life everyday.
There is a large movement in Europe, headed by the air-cooled VW lot, which aims to restore and rebuild older vehicles which deliberately retains rusty panels but makes the mechanical stuff as new. As you can see from below, the look has spread to newer cars, which are deliberately 'distressed' or 'patina-d'.

The way a car looks, some would say, should only begin to matter once everything else is spot on. Otherwise you may be accused of 'polishing a turd'. Excuse my English.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2013 at 12:12. Reason: Please upload pictures ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System. Thanks
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 22:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sushil,
How are you sure about my Maruti and Matiz being painted by the same painter who did your Uno ? You mean to say, you know better than me about my cars? This is outrageous.
Personally I do not know about your vehicles I came to know about these above quoted matters through the very same your so called source who has reported to you that the payment of the mechanic is defaulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
There is a large movement in Europe, headed by the air-cooled VW lot, which aims to restore and rebuild older vehicles which deliberately retains rusty panels but makes the mechanical stuff as new. As you can see from below, the look has spread to newer cars, which are deliberately 'distressed' or 'patina-d'.

The way a car looks, some would say, should only begin to matter once everything else is spot on. Otherwise you may be accused of 'polishing a turd'. Excuse my English.
Hi there

Thanks for sharing this valuable information. Can I request you to share some pictures that you have referred to?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sushil Narayanan

Note from Support: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th May 2013 at 22:53. Reason: Note Inline
Old 17th May 2013, 22:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally I do not know about your vehicles
Personally you donot know much about vehicles and last but not the least, restorations. Calling for that you have been taken for ride, is completely your inpexperiance and half baked knowledge in the field of automobile restoration and lastly for not reaching out to Bala or myself, who could have helped out easily and ensured a perfect job on your Uno.

Sushil..At this point i would like to end this conversation with you in regard to this restoration. Myself , Bala nor anyone from FCCH will not intervene in this anymore. Good Bye and Good Luck.
Old 19th May 2013, 20:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there

Thanks for sharing this valuable information. Can I request you to share some pictures that you have referred to?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sushil Narayanan
Here are some examples of rusty VWs which are deliberately made rusty or in the case of the combi pickup, original rust is preserved. There is also the whole lowering thing going on - called 'rat look' when combined with rust. I see a lowered Golf locally, he can't do more than 80kph and even at that speed he's bouncing up and down!
Attached Images

FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote