Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th January 2013, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Default Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup

When I first test drove the Duster 110ps there was a very audible and noteable 'thud' sound which was coming the moment the engine fired-up. I assumed the test drive vehicle had an engine bed fault and did not ask the salesman about it. I was surprised to find the same fault in the Duster 110ps which I later bought. When I enquired at the service station the manager told me that 'I was lucky because some cars had it also when the engine was switched off' . They said this was normal and customers are being advised to get used to it. The Fluence which has the same engine does not have this problem.

By no means can this 'thud' sound which also filters down as a notable vibration be considered normal. If you put your hand behind the engine and brace it by pulling it forward and you ask that the engine is started - the sound does not come. It obviously is an engine bed fault and it needs to be fixed by Renault.

Renault needs to do R&D and retrofit a new engine bed kit in all these Dusters supplied with this problem. May I suggest Team BHP makes an official review on this problem?
noelravin is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
When I first test drove the Duster 110ps there was a very audible and noteable 'thud' sound which was coming the moment the engine fired-up. I assumed the test drive vehicle had an engine bed fault and did not ask the salesman about it. I was surprised to find the same fault in the Duster 110ps which I later bought. When I enquired at the service station the manager told me that 'I was lucky because some cars had it also when the engine was switched off' .
Even I feel the 'thud' is kind of abnormal in a car and a new one at that. Heck even a Tata Sumo doesn't have a 'thud' when you start it. I took delivery of my duster a couple of days back and I feel something is wrong. I also think the a/c compressor is abnormally loud. But, I have to check if this is specific to my car or is common across all Dusters

Mine is a 110 RXl btw
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 22:09   #3
BHPian

If you can hear the compressor - I guess there is a problem with it. Its not supposed to be audible at all except for the 'click' when it switches on and engages the drive.

Do you not hear a thud sound when you fire up the engine??
noelravin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 22:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you not hear a thud sound when you fire up the engine??
Yes I do. I guess I failed to mention it in my previous post. Planning to compare with a couple of other Duster owners who I know. Will see and take this up with the dealer.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Interesting bit of news for me. I have a 85PS RxL (O) but have not heard any abnormal sounds or rattles just yet. I'll be interested to know of such problems have been reported by owners of 85PS Dusters, following this thread.

I've driven it over some places where there are no roads to speak of and touch wood, I haven't had any odd sounds from my car so far.

Have you mailed Renault Customer service yet? If they haven't responded please let me know. I had to contact Renault International to get the guys here to wake up and look at my water leak problem (now solved)

Last edited by woodcrawler : 21st January 2013 at 10:52.
woodcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Have you mailed Renault Customer service yet? If they haven't responded please let me know. I had to contact Renault International to get the guys here to wake up and look at my water leak problem (now solved)
I checked with the sales person who I interacted with during my purchase, and he said that these sounds (both engine and compressor) were 'normal' for the Duster. I am not at all convinced and plan to check this up with the service guys. I am waiting for a new service center to be inaugrated near my house in Bangalore and will check up with them. In case they fail to respond properly, I will take this up with Renault India.

@Woodcrawler, I have been quietly following your thread on the water leakage and I understand what you had to go through to get it resolved. Hopefully mine does not go the same way

Last edited by addyhemmige : 21st January 2013 at 12:38.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 13:26   #7
BHPian

Post re: Renault Duster 110 : THUD sound & vibration on engine startup

Quote:
When I enquired at the service station the manager told me that 'I was lucky because some cars had it also when the engine was switched off'.They said this was normal and customers are being advised to get used to it. The Fluence which has the same engine does not have this problem.
With the engine switched off?!

What is "customers are being advised to get used to it" mean? Let's get this straight: if this is happening, it is an unmistakable fault. No two ways about it. Moreover if it is a known issue, the service guys (and therefore possibly Renault) is trying to sweep this under the rug. That is unacceptable. The customer pays money for a fully functional product; not to 'put up with it'.

Whatever it is; engine bed or a mounting fault, it has to be fixed. Period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I checked with the sales person who I interacted with during my purchase, and he said that these sounds (both engine and compressor) were 'normal' for the Duster.
I disagree with him. This is an abnormality and therefore simply by definition, cannot be normal. Force them to look into the issue and find a effective solution. Please tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not hesitate to escalate the matter, if it means doing that in the event of an unsatisfactory resolution by them.

Like you said, case in point: Woodcrawler.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 21st January 2013 at 13:29.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote