Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st January 2013, 18:15   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Being locked inside a car!

I dunno about the Skoda. But AFAIK in the polo/vento, there is no mechanical unlock stub provided along with the door opening lever. Leave alone the scenario mentioned above, I could not figure out how to unlock the rear door without the help of the unlock switch upfront. This was even mentioned in the official reviews as well. So I presume this should be the case with sis Skoda as well.

In both of our cars, (i20 and swift), even though they are locked using the central locking system, the occupant (if any) inside can still open the car using the stub mentioned above. I have left my 85 year old granny numerous times inside both the cars (ofcourse with the window slightly rolled down) and locked the car from outside. This we did only after we ensured that the car can be opened from inside.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:18   #17
BHPian

In the new Swift Zdi/Zxi, one can open the doors from inside even when the car is remote locked. On doing so, the car sounds the burglar alarm, which is pretty loud to catch someone's attention.

In my Linea Emotion Pk as well, I am able to open the doors from inside when the car is remote locked. But, there is no triggering off of any loud burglar alarm or the horn. This is the only flaw I've found so far in the Linea's locking system. Though, the boot cannot be opened by pressing the electronic release button on the dashboard as long as the key is not in and turned to the ignition position. Due to this, I ensure that I keep all valuables in the boot and not leave anything in the cabin when leaving the car at a parking.
I am not sure whether the horn is functional after the removal of the key or after locking the car. Will check this and update.
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Last month, my 9 year old son was accidently locked inside the car.
Quite a scary situation. After reading your post I opened my Laura manual and this is what it says

"Safe securing : The central locking system is equipped with a safe securing system. Locking the vehicle from the outside causes the door locks to be automatically blocked. It is not possible to open the doors with the door handle either from the inside or from the outside. This acts as an effective deterrent for attempts to break into your vehicle. You can deactivate the safe securing system by locking twice within 2 seconds.

The doors can be opened from the inside if the vehicle is locked and the safe securing system is deactivated:
The door is unlocked by actuating the door-opening lever.
The door opens upon actuating the door-opening lever again

Warning : If the vehicle is locked from the outside and the safe securing system is activated, there must not be any person and animals in the vehicle as it is then not possible to open either a door or a window from the inside. The locked doors make it more difficult for rescuers to get into the vehicle in an emergency -hazard!"

It is this 'safe securing system' that is the root cause of this risk. THough they have provided an option to deactivate it, I am sure most owners (including me till now) will be ignorant about it. It is possible to deactivate this via the VAG software system and may be a good idea to get it done at the service centre.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, this thread also points out the fact that:

One should always make sure, the lights are turned off, nothing hazardous is left inside the car, and no one is inside the car etc.. before you lock the doors!
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:11   #20
BHPian

Thats scary. Have myself checked my 2010 WagonR and it does unlock from inside. It is fitted with an Autocop anti theft alarm system.

Same is the case with the Nano. Just tried it on my friend's vehicle.

This things should be included in the demo while one is buying the vehicle as most people never touch the user manual after buying the car.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IIRC, Ford IKON, Ford Fiesta, Ford Fusion, Ford Figo can be unlocked from the inside. Just need to pull the lever.

The Skoda way is scary! What if the electronics give away and you are locked? I think there would be some other way to open the car, other than the boot?

This is what is scary - short circuit in the car fries the electronics and causes a fire. You can't reach the boot to escape (and that is assuming you already knew about the boot being the escape route) !

this is total BS - a mechanical override is a must.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 21:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The incident is quite horrifying.Very recently, a couple had left a child locked in their car in Chennai and went on to the marriage venue. The inevitable happened.
Some of the new generation ICE/ decks can be played without the ignition key being activated.My Blaupunkt allows one to put it in the ON mode by activating its button. The music system can be played with a loud volume to attract attention of the passers-by. BUT THIS IS FRAUGHT WITH DANGER IN PUBLIC PLACES. Anti socials may take advantage of the child's haplessness when the parents are away. This methodology can be used in more secure campuses like Defence establishments, government premises where the general public is not allowed, private, reputed companies campuses and so on. Again, the child may not be able to adjudge whether a place is so secure or not, with his raw mindset and nervous disposition if such an unfortunate event occurs.So this method is best left to rest and can be taken with a pinch of salt.(We have sodium free salts too, these days!!)
The Scorpio has a central lock release on the driver's side that can be activated in such unforeseen situations.
I can only dread the potentiality of such an event happening for the innocent and hapless children. I would say PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE and tell everyone to be EXTRA careful when it comes to the tiny tots. Must check everything inside and find out whether there are human beings or even pets left behind before one locks his or her car.
Must not do anything to regret later - rather lifelong.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st January 2013 at 21:23.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:55   #23
BHPian

Quite unknown to many, the head rest of the car is the best tool to break open the glass in case of an emergency. This youtube link demo it nicely.

nettooran is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 00:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Quite a scary situation. After reading your post I opened my Laura manual and this is what it says

"Safe securing : The central locking system is equipped with a safe securing system. Locking the vehicle from the outside causes the door locks to be automatically blocked. It is not possible to open the doors with the door handle either from the inside or from the outside. This acts as an effective deterrent for attempts to break into your vehicle. You can deactivate the safe securing system by locking twice within 2 seconds.

Ok, now that makes sense. Because I know that Skodas do not cut power out completely. I leave my phone for charging while chatting outside with my friends (Right next to the car in a drive restaurant like Airlines) all the time, with my car locked.

But i fail to understand why the power to the horn would be disconnected once you lock them.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 05:46   #25
BHPian

A similar incident happened to my friend. She got down from the car ( Honda City) with the ignition on to take her i - card from the boot. The front door closed and the car auto locked. She had no way to get in nor call her husband ( the mobile was also in the car). Luckily another friend of us was passing by and noticed her. They went to her home (25Kms ) from that place to get the duplicate key and open the car. The car was drained of all fuel by that time.
PC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:19   #26
BHPian

When I read the incident, I could imagine the panic the kid must have experienced.
While it is important to read the manual completely a majority of car owners do not comply.

I request all the car manufacturers to print a quick 'manual' ala Apple's (iPhone, iPod) fold out user manual which lists primary usages of the phone and 'how-to's'.

At the time of handover of a new car the SA should explain some of these common and uncommon challenges and how to deal with them, just like the air hostesses explain a few precautions to a person traveling with a baby on a plane or a person sitting next to the EXIT door on a plane.

And we must give enough publicity to such issues through newspapers or electronic media. I plan to write to a few news papers and see if they publish.

Lastly people with children must think of scenarios where a child can get hurt in an automobile.

This thread made me recollect an accident involving my 3 year old daughter a decade and a half ago. On a lazy Sunday I opened the hatch of my Tata Estate and saw from the corner of my eye that my daughter was playing at a safe distance away (am paranoid) and after a while as I was shutting the hatch (the Estate needs a hard shove) my daughter came running and before I could react the edge of the hatch hit her head and she started bleeding profusely - fortunately it was a superficial wound and we all were relieved after the doctors declared she was OK - but for the customary '24 hours under observation' me and my wife lived hell and untold guilt and self-cursing.

Mods, it might not be a bad idea to have a thread on safety and children and all the possible challenges that one might face and ways to avoid them.
soonya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:52   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Last month, my 9 year old son was accidently locked inside the car. The car was parked just outside our house and none of us had realized that he was locked in. He tried opening the door from inside but it would not open. He then tried calling out to people outside but he could not be heard. He tried the horn but there was no sound. He panicked and started crying. Luckily I had forgotten my mobile in the car and went back to get it around 5 minutes later. He was really releived.
Quite scary! Thanks for sharing. For once, you would have felt happy that you left the mobile phone in the car. This maybe a positive of the sun-film ban. Atleast it increase the chances of spotting the person trapped inside.

I can imagine how traumatic it would have been for your son. Couple of weeks back, we were at the VW showroom, and my 4 year old, got into a Vento and closed the door, thinking that I will get in from the other side. To her horror, she saw me walking to the next car, and started crying. A staff spotted her and immediately opened the door. Only then we got to know the decibel level of her screaming (until then it was complete silence there). It was just a few seconds, but that was enough for her to be completely shaken. We had to postpone the TD plans, and it took a couple of hours to bring her back to the normal self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonya View Post
Mods, it might not be a bad idea to have a thread on safety and children and all the possible challenges that one might face and ways to avoid them.
We have a couple of threads on child safety:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ian-roads.html (Child Safety, and SAFE driving on Indian Roads)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...seat-kids.html
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:40   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quite scary to say the least! Glad to hear that the kid is safe!

I guess, cars with a physical unlock lever should not have this issue. Let me check in mine anyways.

Also, I am not sure if this can be called an issue especially when it is clearly mentioned in the owner's manual. There is no substitute to knowing our own machines really well.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:26   #29
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This situation cannot happen in Lineas as all the doors can be opened from the inside even after central-locking.

But, Lineas are notorious for another troublesome security feature, i.e., automatic re-locking if the door is not opened within some 20 seconds or so after remote-opening it! I became a victim of this security feature, when we were in Jaipur. Early morning, I got up, washed the car and decided to shift some item from the boot to the inside of the car; so, I unlocked the doors using the remote, opened the boot using the remote, did the blunder of keeping the key-fob inside the boot after taking out the item from the boot, closed the boot, and as I was nearing the rear door, the doors got automatically locked. The key-fob was inside the boot and the doors got locked automatically. It's a different story that I called FIAT RSA and got the doors opened after a few hours. From that day onwards, whenever we go out of the home-city, I generally carry the spare key in my pant pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
I am not sure whether the horn is functional after the removal of the key or after locking the car.
Horn works even after the removal of the key and central-locking.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd January 2013 at 09:49.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:46   #30
BHPian

What happens if the bonnet release lever is used to unlock the bonnet. Doesn't it trigger the alarm and get some attention of the people outside in case horn doesn't work?
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote