Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd January 2013, 10:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Being locked inside a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
automatic re-locking if the door is not opened within some 20 seconds or so after remote-opening it! I became a victim of this security feature, when we were in Jaipur. Early morning, I got up, washed the car and decided to shift some item from the boot to the inside of the car; so, I unlocked the doors using the remote, opened the boot using the remote, did the blunder of keeping the key-fob inside the boot after taking out the item from the boot, closed the boot, and as I was nearing the rear door, the doors got automatically locked.
In your case the cause of locking out is leaving the key in the boot - not auto re-lock feature. As a general practice, never ever leave the key in the boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
- I tried the horn but it seemed disconnected
Surprising that the horn didn't work - horn must work at all times.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

When both my cars are locked from outside,
  • Car doors can be unlocked from inside and opened,
  • Car cant be cranked even with the key
  • Power windows wont work
  • Horn will work

One thing I seriously cant accept in cars is the fully electronic door lock. There should always be manual override, like a knob or the stick, which can be turned or pulled to manually unlock the car. God forbid, if luck doesn't stay on our side and this electric motor fails, I must be able to mechanically unlock the car, or the person who is locked up must be able to come out easily. There have been instances where I leave a family member in the car and go out to get something, accidentally or by practice locking the car. They have easily unlocked the door and come out, except for the alarm firing.

As mentioned in this thread previously, it is just over engineering - at least not suitable for our conditions.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:36   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In your case the cause of locking out is leaving the key in the boot - not auto re-lock feature.
The locking out was due to automatic re-locking feature only; if it is absent, I could have opened the door, and then, opened the boot by pressing boot-open button on the dash board, which works even without inserting the key as long as the car is unlocked or accessed the boot from inside by folding the back-rest of the rear seat!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd January 2013 at 10:59.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Surprising that the horn didn't work - horn must work at all times.
In the Laura the horn works only on turning the key to battery on position. It remains disconnected in all other scenarios.

In fact the car has some very thoughtful features when it comes to the electronics.

- The headlights switch off automatically when you turn off the engine
- The window winders work even if you've turned off the engine and removed the key from the key slot. They work till you open the driver door, and not after that.
- The cabin light switches off automatically after some time , so that it does not drain out the battery if you've left them on by mistake.
- The audio system works in the absence of the keys
- The doors lock automatically if you've not opened the door within xxx secs of unlocking the door.
- The doors lock automatically after you cross 15 kmph.
- The doors unlock automatically if there is accident or a crash.
- All passenger doors can be unlocked from inside , even when locked by the driver using the door lock button, by yanking the lever twice.
- It has an anti hijack feature, where on hitting the unlock button once, only the driver door gets unlocked, remaining doors stay locked. If you want to open them, just hit unlock button twice.

Most of the above features including the safe secure system which caused this problem of being locked inside, are customizable by the user in the higher variants like the L&K using the settings option in the MID. For the lower variants one needs the VAG COM cable and the VAG software. Some service centres are reluctant due their lack of knowledge, though most will oblige.

The electronics in cars like these incorporate a lot of convenience features, which may be quite different from what we are used to. It is hence imperitive to read the user manual thoroughly not just to play around with these features but from a safety point of view.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:46   #35
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
..I guess, cars with a physical unlock lever should not have this issue. Let me check in mine anyways.
Checked in the XUV today. I was able to unlock from inside. As expected, the alarm went off when I opened the door.

I believe this is a better implementation rather than trying to lock a 'thief' inside. Let him get off the car and run. Why lock him inside where he would be forced to take a drastic step like somehow starting the car and then running away with your car?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Although no has ever been locked inside the car, but once my daughter sat inside and wanted to stay inside listening to music on her iPad, while i was talking to the tyre repair guy outside. With all windows rolled up she wanted to ask me to get water bottle but could not as she was not audible outside.

All she did was jumped to the drivers seat and honked, so i believe in both Civic and Baleno the horn works even if the key is not plugged in. It seemed trivial at that time, now reading through your experience it seems like a very important feature.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:50   #37
BHPian

This might be a bit off topic, but in an emergency-if the car has caught fire with you inside it, or you have driven into a pool, lake etc, the fastest way to escape is to break the glass by using the headrests.
Yes, the headrests when pulled out have 2 pointed metals rods (which are used to insert it in place) which can be hit against the glass to break it. Just a tap is enough to shatter the glass.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Quite unknown to many, the head rest of the car is the best tool to break open the glass in case of an emergency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
...the fastest way to escape is to break the glass by using the headrests.
That's actually a great idea. Thanks for sharing the video!

But what do we do in cars like Nano, i10, Etios etc., which come equipped with integrated head restraints?

Do we have some thing else handy in the car? The connector rod of the hydraulic jack perhaps?

Being locked inside a car!-tatanano2011interior.jpg

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  toyotaetiosliva6812.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  58.3 KB
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:27   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Checked in the XUV today. I was able to unlock from inside. As expected, the alarm went off when I opened the door.

I believe this is a better implementation rather than trying to lock a 'thief' inside. Let him get off the car and run. Why lock him inside where he would be forced to take a drastic step like somehow starting the car and then running away with your car?
I don't think the logic behind the safe secure system was to lock a thief inside . But rather to prevent intruders from opening the doors by inserting a stick/ string/ hook from openings from windows (if any) and yanking the inside door opening levers.

But I do agree that they have gone overboard with the electronics. Just because they've got the power of programming these gizmos they should know where to stop.

It is rather irresponsible on the part of the driver to lock the car before checking whether all passengers have alighted , don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
But what do we do in cars like Nano, i10, Etios etc., which come equipped with integrated head restraints?
In these cars the doors will open from inside manually, so I suppose this problem of getting locked won't arise in the first place. But what does one do if there is a malfunction in the door unlock mechanism and the doors won't open? Kick the windshield, perhaps?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd January 2013 at 11:33.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Do we have some thing else handy in the car? The connector rod of the hydraulic jack perhaps?
For cars with integrated headrests, you can always carry a small pocket hammer with a pointed tip. These are easily available at hardware stores & take up minimal storage space. A friend has installed a pocket hammer (as big as his palm) using velcro on the drivers side of the B pillar.
For families (with children) you may want to be discrete with the storage location, but at the same time have easy access incase of an incident.

Last edited by mb_jg : 22nd January 2013 at 11:33.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
A similar incident happened to my friend. She got down from the car ( Honda City) with the ignition on to take her i - card from the boot. The front door closed and the car auto locked. She had no way to get in nor call her husband ( the mobile was also in the car)
What model is the car? Does it have after market central locking fitted? I've come out of my City (2010) several times, with engine started and stopped. The doors don't lock.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:30   #42
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think the logic behind the safe secure system was to lock a thief inside . But rather to prevent intruders from opening the doors by inserting a stick/ string/ hook from openings from windows (if any) and yanking the inside door opening levers.

Ah, you are right! I read your post about the Laura owner's manual again and seems like I completely misinterpreted the intention.

When I read my post again, it indeed deserves a LOL! I should have had my morning coffee before posting!

Thanks for the correction!
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
- I tried opening the door but it would not open. Normally a double yank unlocks the central locking when we are inside
- I tried the central locking button but that too did not work
- I tried the horn but it seemed disconnected
- My son and I then folded the rear seat and gained access to the trunk
- In the trunk, we used the lever to open the trunk and come out
Cheers,
Safe Drive
Hi,
What a co-incidence. Just yesterday, I was discussing with my collegue on the same topic. Here the car in question is a VW Golf Mk.4. Same issue. He told me that if one forgets the keys inside and locks the car/ locks the car from outside, there is no way out. The battery supply is cut-off and even the window winding motors won't work.

1. It is for child safety!! God knows how!

2. It is to protect the car from being stolen - windows cannot be rolled down by force, if attempted, alarm rings.

Further, he was telling me that in certain skoda's they tend to auto-lock after a certain time and the cars equipped with push-button style system, if the key is out of range, the car auto-locks! (read even when the battery is down in the key!).

Why would the best brains of VW do this?
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting as to why the burglar alarm didn't go off? Aren't the sensors meant to pick movement up?
Still unsure why the motion/pressure sensors did not pick up the movement inside! Can Laura owners clarify?
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:20   #45
BHPian

This was indeed a very scarry incident and thank god the kid is fine.

Thanks for sharing the incident because I never had thought this sort of thing can happen before I read this thread and was thinking of checking my car after reaching home.

But as already clarified by J. Ravi and another member, the doors can be opened from inside in the Linea. That is indeed a great relief for me.

Last edited by Sommos : 22nd January 2013 at 17:21.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote