Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 00:28   #1
BHPian
 
Dr.Vikas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sangli
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Hello friends,

Starting this new thread just on having met a problem with my Fabia. Mods, you may please move/ merge this thread to any of the similar threads already existing here in this forum, if needed.

We are often asked to switch off the ignition while refueling our cars.
So, has anybody ever experienced any kind of problem on having refueled the car with the Engine ON?

Last week, my Skoda Fabia (25 months NEW, with mileage- 48+K kms) failed to start early in the morning. It has been driven regularly (almost everyday without any 'break'). The car was then taken to Skoda Workshop, Kolhapur. I was told that there was problem in the Diesel Pump. It was not working and was further asked to get it replaced.

I then remembered, I had refueled my car with the Engine in running condition last night & had parked the car near my house finally before facing the problem the next morning. So here are my queries-

1. Is there any connection? Or was it just a co-incidence?

2. What are the possible reasons for a Diesel Pump failure?

3. And how frequently such problem arises?

4. Is there any chance to get it repaired?

Share your views/ expert opinions,

Thanks in appreciation,

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2013 at 14:33. Reason: Formatting your paragraphs better.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 08:25   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,572
Thanked: 2,050 Times
Default re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

@Dr Vikas.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

TDI engines and i believe it applies to Skoda as well.
VW2010 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 08:27   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post

We are often asked to switch off the ignition while refueling our cars.
So, has anybody ever experienced any kind of problem on having refueled the car with the Engine ON?

Last week, my Skoda Fabia (25 months NEW, with mileage- 48+K kms) failed to start early in the morning. It has been driven regularly (almost everyday without any 'break')
The car was then taken to Skoda Workshop, Kolhapur. I was told that there was problem in the Diesel Pump. It was not working and was further asked to get it replaced.
I then remembered, I had refueled my car with the Engine in running condition last night & had parked the car near my house finally before facing the problem the next morning.
So here are my queries-
Is there any connection? Or was it just a co-incidence?
Lots of people fill diesel without turning the engine off. The advisory of switching off during tanking up is more from a fire risk perspective (around your vehicle) rather than to prevent fuel pump malfunction, so in this case I would still call your issue a coincidence, as long as you had sufficient fuel in the tank when you filled up.

Quote:
What are the possible reasons for a Diesel Pump failure?
And how frequently such problem arises?
Normally very rare. It is always advised not to wait till the last minute to fill up diesel, since this could cause 'starvation' to the pump with very low fuel in the tank. Its always better to fill up the tank when there is still ~25% of fuel left. Starvation is one reason why the pump could fail.

Another possible reason is if the fuel itself was adulterated or dirty, perhaps the debris went and clogged the diesel pump to cause the failure. This is also linked to the first reason wherein the debris at the bottom (due to low level of fuel) has more possibility of getting into the pump.

Quote:
Is there any chance to get it repaired?
Perhaps the service centre would be in a better position to comment depending on your specific case, but from what I know, pumps are usually replaced rather than repaired to prevent future issues.
Have they already done a diagnosis and told you what went wrong?
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 08:50   #4
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default

Hello Dr.Vikas,

The low-on-fuel-debris-clogged theory makes absolute sense and Karthikk got it spot on, in sharing the same with all of us here. There are plenty of peeps who would back the same as, from their personal experience

Also, I hope the car was under extended warranty so, the replacement will be carried out for free in that case, right?

Last edited by MetalBuff : 25th January 2013 at 08:52.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 09:57   #5
BHPian
 
CRDIsamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miraj MH 10
Posts: 123
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hello friends,

Starting this new thread just on having met a problem with my Fabia.
Mods, you may please move/ merge this thread to any of the similar threads already existing here in this forum, if needed.

We are often asked to switch off the ignition while refueling our cars.
So, has anybody ever experienced any kind of problem on having refueled the car with the Engine ON?

Last week, my Skoda Fabia (25 months NEW, with mileage- 48+K kms) failed to start early in the morning. It has been driven regularly (almost everyday without any 'break')
The car was then taken to Skoda Workshop, Kolhapur. I was told that there was problem in the Diesel Pump. It was not working and was further asked to get it replaced.
I then remembered, I had refueled my car with the Engine in running condition last night & had parked the car near my house finally before facing the problem the next morning.
So here are my queries-
Is there any connection? Or was it just a co-incidence?
What are the possible reasons for a Diesel Pump failure?
And how frequently such problem arises?
Is there any chance to get it repaired?

Share your views/ expert opinions,

Thanks in appreciation,
Dr. Vikas there is no connection of fuel pump failure due to refuelling while engine is running. There is no harm at all to the engine if the fuel is filled while the engine is running.

Secondly 48000+ running is too low for fuel injection system failure unless untill you have had a dose of adulterated diesel.

How many times you have faced the starting problem further ?

Is the starting trouble only in morning / cold conditions or every time you are facing the problem ?

If it is only cold start then there is a possiblity of heater plugs failure ?

Take a second opinion before going in for replacement of the FIP firstly it is a costly affair and secondly 48000+ running is too low for FIP failure.

Regards

Samir Ponkshe
CRDIsamir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 12:57   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Well I have an Optra Magnum Diesel and it's fuel pump died last week at an ODO of 71K. I did have a warning light about a year back but it self corrected. When I got it checked the diagnosis was a malfunction in the fuel pump. But I was asked to drive on and not worry too much about it. Thankfully the car refused to start at my residence and not when I was taking a road trip!!
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 15:03   #7
BHPian
 
mempheS.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
We are often asked to switch off the ignition while refueling our cars.
So, has anybody ever experienced any kind of problem on having refueled the car with the Engine ON?

I then remembered, I had refueled my car with the Engine in running condition last night & had parked the car near my house finally before facing the problem the next morning. So here are my queries-
As cited earlier, the only reason why the ignition must be turned OFF while re-fuelling is a precautionary measure to avoid any possible inflammation.

What I do NOT understand is how did you refuel leaving the engine on in a Fabia? Don't you need to use the key to unlock the fuel lid? Unless..
1. You used the duplicate key to open the fuel lid?
2. Once the fuel lid was opened, you went back and cranked the engine. And then of course, you'd have to come back to the fuel lid to shut it up.

The diesel fuel pump is the one component that takes the hit FIRST based on quality of fuel or running on empty. A lesson learnt sooner is better than an incident like this while on a road trip. I'm glad you've got it resolved. I'm hoping it was under warranty.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 15:29   #8
BHPian
 
Dr.Vikas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sangli
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Friends, Thanks a lot for a thorough discussion over the issue. In fact, there was no any issue regarding Cold Start problem or anything like that anytime in the past. And it was for the first time that the Engine failed to respond the ignition.
And regarding the Fuel lid opening while refueling the vehicle- I usually don't lock the Fuel Lid with the help of key, just tighten it & leave!!
Dr.Vikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 08:13   #9
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Hello Dr.Vikas,

Can you please advice what the current status of this matter is? Pending with Skoda? Are they putting the blame on you OR are they looking at replacing this for free as a good-will gesture/ under extended warranty?

As for the shutting/ locking of the fuel lid after refuelling, isn't that the procedure-
1) screw the fuel tank cork tight
2) shut the lid

Guess, that's how it goes for new cars as, we no longer have a key hole on the lid as, the 800s did. So, there is nothing incorrect in what you do. Hope I got the context correct

-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 21:23   #10
BHPian
 
Dr.Vikas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sangli
Posts: 120
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

@ Metalbuff, You got it correct, I usually just get the tank cork tightened to its max- until it makes 'creaking' sound & then I close the lid without using the key.
And about the current status my car- it's with me, as they had replaced the Diesel Pump with a spare one from some scrap car (just as an adjustment for the time being & of course, totally FOC)..
In fact, I got the car on road within just 3-4 hrs ( including the transportation period too). The Skoda 24X7 Breakdown service (toll-free & flatbed transport- FREE service) came handy in my case.
Lastly, I must agree, I am very much satisfied with the service I had that day.
Dr.Vikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:56   #11
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 171
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
Well I have an Optra Magnum Diesel and it's fuel pump died last week at an ODO of 71K. I did have a warning light about a year back but it self corrected. When I got it checked the diagnosis was a malfunction in the fuel pump. But I was asked to drive on and not worry too much about it. Thankfully the car refused to start at my residence and not when I was taking a road trip!!
63K on my odo and I'm facing the exact same problem, came back yesterday night from a 1700 kms trip and the car wont start few hours after that. After diagnosing found out that its the fuel pump. Were you able to find out what was the cause of fuel pump failure?
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 11:25   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
63K on my odo and I'm facing the exact same problem, came back yesterday night from a 1700 kms trip and the car wont start few hours after that. After diagnosing found out that its the fuel pump. Were you able to find out what was the cause of fuel pump failure?
Hi - I had a habit of refueling only when the fuel was almost empty and was told that my practice was putting a lot of pressure on the fuel pump. Started refueling with atleast 1/4th of fuel left. Had no issues after that. Sold my magnum after 105k Kms but never had an issue with pump again.
kewlferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 11:43   #13
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 171
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
Hi - I had a habit of refueling only when the fuel was almost empty and was told that my practice was putting a lot of pressure on the fuel pump. Started refueling with atleast 1/4th of fuel left. Had no issues after that. Sold my magnum after 105k Kms but never had an issue with pump again.
Well good to know you didnt have any issues after that and yes I too do the same, looks like I will have to change my habit too. If you dont mind sharing what did you upgrade to?
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 13:48   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Well good to know you didnt have any issues after that and yes I too do the same, looks like I will have to change my habit too. If you dont mind sharing what did you upgrade to?
Hi, not at all - upgraded to the Santa Fe early this year
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Pump Failure rakowli Technical Stuff 54 23rd August 2016 20:52
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Water Pump Failure - Why and How? Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Technical 31 2nd June 2012 04:03
Gm/Chervolet Optra Magnum Diesel Pump Failure jkdas Technical Stuff 15 31st December 2011 17:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks