Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th June 2016, 20:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How to detect *Odometer Fraud*

A post about from my thread on the extent some people go in our country to hide their real odometer reading. A few quick queries here and there and beans spilled out that the odo is tempered hugely.

Narrow escape for me, shudder to think about some poor soul who will fall for the trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
there was one case where the previously owner was so smart that he got one service done from Toyota every 10k kms and one from outside, clocked back the odo by 10k everytime he got it done aftermarket (it only costs INR 500 to get a new chip for odometer!)! So, essentially his car had covered twice the kms than what odo showed and this odo was backed with service history from Toyota! Can you imagine?
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 08:51   #77

More details here at TOI news link below. Hope it deters dealers from engaging into unethical practices.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64151405.cms

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th May 2018 at 08:53.
prabhatmilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 09:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatmilan View Post
More details here at TOI news link below. Hope it deters dealers from engaging into unethical practices.
Kudos to the aggrieved party for taking it forward to the court and happy that he got some compensation.
Although I believe the compensation amount of just 1.5 lakhs on a car for which the sufferer shelled 6.2 lakhs is too less to teach the fraud a lesson.

Compensation plus penalty should have been at least greater than 50-60 percent if not 100 to really deter that unethical dealer and others to repeat it again.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 14th May 2018 at 10:10. Reason: typo
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 10:01   #79
BHPian

Most of the cases here are of clocking back the odometer. Have you heard of the opposite? A acquaintance of mine did it. He increased his odometer reading from 5K to 80K kms. Now why would anyone do that? Even the guy who was hired to do the job was baffled. What happened was his car had completed 1.5L kms and he had a major accident. The repairs were carried out which included changing the wiring harness and instrument cluster. The new cluster was displaying 5K. Even TASS could not explain. AFAIK the reading is stored in the ECU so even a new cluster should display the original reading. If the reading is stored in the cluster then it should display zero. The guy was in no mood to try and figure out why this happened so he just settled on clocking the odometer as selling such an old car with 5K on the odo will definitely raise eyebrows. So though it looks like he has increased the reading from 5K to 80K, he has actually reduced it from 150K to 80K.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 10:03   #80
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have worked in True Value and very closely observed a number of things that go on routinely.one of the prime reasons for quitting was the unethical way of dealing that would go on. Many a times batteries, tires etc are swapped,sometimes they even go to people who work there and have similar cars or requirements.Alloys will also go missing and be replaced with rims.
If you sell your car with a good player,speakers and god forbid an amp, all of it will be changed before the car goes for display.I did come across some people with who had multiple alloy wheels and music systems and would sell it to make some bucks.My advice to all who sell their cars is to strip the car of all additions you have done before even getting it evaluated, once evaluated if you try to remove anything you will start seeing your price dropping as the evaluater will say "sir price was inclusive of all accessories".
scorpian is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 19:10   #81
BHPian

I was witness to an odometer tampering incident today. An elderly gentleman was showing his son's car to a dealer and I casually enquired with him about the details. Since it was owned and always driven by his son, the man wasn't really aware of anything except for the vague remembrance that it was four years old (which I too knew). He graciously offered me the key and insisted that I take a test drive so that I could sound out any potential purchasers in my circle.

The car drove well but the clutch was gone and the tyres were fully bald. The odo showed 40,3xx kms.

I couldn't hold off my smile as I realised that the number was clearly doctored. Reason?

About two years ago, in the absence of her husband and son, the lady of the house had requested me to move the car to make way for a truck. I had obliged. During two brief stays in the driver's seat, I had noticed that the car had run 45,xxx km and had wondered how a two year old car had covered such distance.

PS: Withholding identities as the car & people in question are in my neighborhood.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 19:21   #82
Team-BHP Support

My cousin's wagonR met with a serious head on accident and the car was handed over to him with 0 on the odo post repairs at MASS. You can call that a tampered odometer, but not really with an intent to cheat. So don't judge your neighbors just yet
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 09:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You can call that a tampered odometer, but not really with an intent to cheat. So don't judge your neighbors just yet
Well said and I fully agree !

Post 2015 Chennai deluge, I had to replace the Odo of my swift. New Odo showed 0 and MASS was helpless, quoting their protocol, albeit Swift had run for about 54 K km. In addition, I had (have) the habit of maintaining a vehicle log, so, I had the exact reading.

Since, all my services, including body shop works, for the past 7 years, were done with MASS only, they had all the past Odo references and it was almost tallying, with a difference of 340 km. Went to Kodmbakkam (Chennai), reset the Odo to 54 K km.

When, I sold the car in 2017, informed the same to the buyer with the proof of all service records, from the free service days, with specific mention about change of Odo. He, wholeheartedly agreed and he is still in contact with me, for any help for services.

As long as the intent and actions are the same, it's fine
tstlnt is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote