Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 17:52   #226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Bad scenario, my wife's less than year old brio is refusing to start from her office in remote chennai (Siruseri). She says all lights start blinking like a Christmas tree once she turns the battery and there is a funny sound if she tries to turn on ignition. Calling honda assistance now, however has anyone experienced this before?
prasanna.vps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 18:33   #227
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,490
Thanked: 10,019 Times
Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
...all lights start blinking like a Christmas tree once she turns the battery and there is a funny sound if she tries to turn on ignition.
Likely to be the immobiliser preventing the car from starting.

Car thinks it's being stolen.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 21:05   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Likely to be the immobiliser preventing the car from starting.

Car thinks it's being stolen.

In this case I have called the honda assist, they will come and check it tomorrow. But what could be the remedy if indeed the car is immobilised? Is there something I can try?
prasanna.vps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 22:40   #229
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,692
Thanked: 11,026 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
In this case I have called the honda assist, they will come and check it tomorrow. But what could be the remedy if indeed the car is immobilised? Is there something I can try?
Leave it at the personnel will be coming from Honda. Do not try and do anything.

They'll connect their software and reset the ECU.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 21:48   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 19 Times
Default "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Car has now gone to the garage, towed, thankfully in a flatbed. Battery is not the issue. I had called up the service manager once the car reached the service station. problem seems to be with "electronics", after a while service engineer called up to say since it was late in the evening, they would want to check it in the morning for "sensor" issue. All service personnel have been good, however, I thought the vehicle would be attended to today itself. Am I expecting too much? Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support and advice, appreciate it.

Last edited by prasanna.vps : 8th April 2015 at 21:50.
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 22:54   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Called the honda ASS today, was told that the problem was with "Earthing". Asked them which place they said some cable had corroded. Does this happen in a car barely 6 month old, I asked. The engineer then sheepishly admitted, there might have been some water damage to the cable. While I still find it shocking on a new car, I think it's entirely plausible that they screwed up some cable while in ASS.

Over all, actually I am quite happy with Honda Assist as well as the service. Not a single rupee was charged or asked for. except, the service fellows didn't have enough drivers to drop the car back, but that lead to a pleasant situation for me.

Right, finally car is back home, thanks to Sushil for the drive in Thar to the ASS
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 05:34   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,689
Thanked: 5,058 Times
Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Called the honda ASS today, was told that the problem was with "Earthing". Asked them which place they said some cable had corroded. Does this happen in a car barely 6 month old, I asked. The engineer then sheepishly admitted, there might have been some water damage to the cable. While I still find it shocking on a new car, I think it's entirely plausible that they screwed up some cable while in ASS.
Of course, you think it shouldn't happen to a new car, but then again, it easily could. Modern car electronics are very finicky when it comes to Voltage/Proper grounding. It could take literally, just one ground/earth connection to become corroded to get all sorts of weird problems. On the upside, easily checked and fixed.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 20:55   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 378
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Yesterday is My fiesta(petrol) didn't crank. Car was switching on, but won't crank. Battery was ruled out as its changed 3 months back. Checked all fuses, all seems to be fine. Finally found issue with Fuel pump not priming at all! Referred manual, guided towards Fuel cut-off switch. Tried pressing fuel inertia/cut-off switch. Na da! Fuel pump still won't prime!

Called ford roadside assist, they told steps I already did. Over phone they concluded fulepump gone bust, needs to be replaced (10K + labour!). Asked if they need to send recovery vehicle. Since its late night, as car is parked in garage I said will call back in morning!

Today checked fuses diagram again (marked in Glow box). Tried removing and plugging in relay, same results. Went to FNG with relay, he was kind enough to provide alternative relay. With new relay in fuel-pump primed!

With two, three tries engine came-up! All in all for Rs. 100 spent!

Lesson: Keep spare relay in glow box at-least for fuel pump and ignition!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 08:11   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,689
Thanked: 5,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Yesterday is My fiesta(petrol) didn't crank. Car was switching on, but won't crank. Battery was ruled out as its changed 3 months back. Checked all fuses, all seems to be fine. Finally found issue with Fuel pump not priming at all! Referred manual, guided towards Fuel cut-off switch. Tried pressing fuel inertia/cut-off switch. Na da! Fuel pump still won't prime!

Called ford roadside assist, they told steps I already did. Over phone they concluded fulepump gone bust, needs to be replaced (10K + labour!). Asked if they need to send recovery vehicle. Since its late night, as car is parked in garage I said will call back in morning!

Today checked fuses diagram again (marked in Glow box). Tried removing and plugging in relay, same results. Went to FNG with relay, he was kind enough to provide alternative relay. With new relay in fuel-pump primed!

With two, three tries engine came-up! All in all for Rs. 100 spent!

Lesson: Keep spare relay in glow box at-least for fuel pump and ignition!

Well done! In my experience there are three reasons why a fuel pump wont work. Sometimes after prolonged standstill, the pump might get stuck. Carefully whacking it might get it going.
The pump might be actually broken. It does happen, this is a part that wears, but usually it will start making a lot of noise before it breaks.

Third, a problem with the electricals, fuse, wire or relays. It is a good idea to keep a few of the essential relays in the car. In Europe most new cars will come equipped with a little box with some replacements bulbs, fuses and some manufacturers put in the few critical relays as well. Very handy.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 11:21   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 378
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In Europe most new cars will come equipped with a little box with some replacements bulbs, fuses and some manufacturers put in the few critical relays as well. Very handy.
Jeroen
Ford first Aid kit contains (Which is given as part of new car), some emergency medicine, Fuses (lower amps only), Fuse remover and one head light spare bulb.

Even this is not the first time my Car stopped like this. Whenever it went on hump or little bigger pothole (suddenly), it used to stop. I always thought it's fuel cut-off Kicked in. But usually removing fuses/relays putting it back worked. Now I see mostly its relay which has some of sort of contact issue which worked after little shaking previously.

Only this time it didn't work whatever I did.

Its really good that I had car in garage and didn't had any emergency! I shred to think if this happened in weekend long drive with family!

Well you learn sometimes in hard way.

I could source Fuel pump relay, couldn't get two more types of relay (12v 40A, I don't other rating). I should hit the store soon.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 18:05   #236
BHPian
 
hrbheda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bombay
Posts: 99
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Hello everyone!
I own a 2010 i10 1.2 petrol and have a unusual problem.

Every few weeks, my car refuses to start. The instrument console lights up fine and the engine turns over but refuses to start. The music system works and so does the horn.

Finally, when the car is bump/jump started it starts right up.

The battery was due replacing so have done that as well. Also have the spark plugs and the HT leads and the fuel filter changed since they were due replacing. Went to my local mechanic he couldn't help.

Next, I went to the authorized service center.
They hooked the car to the OBD computer but couldn't find the problem. They even checked all fuses and the wiring loom but in vain. The response I got was to bring the car when it happens next but it seems futile since it starts up when pushed! Experts, help!

Last edited by hrbheda : 13th May 2015 at 18:22. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
hrbheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 19:37   #237
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 914
Thanked: 290 Times
Post Re: help! car won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
I own a 2010 i10 1.2 petrol and have a unusual problem.
Every few weeks, my car refuses to start.
The battery was due replacing so have done that as well.
Also have the spark plugs and the HT leads and the fuel filter changed since they were due replacing.
They hooked the car to the OBD computer but couldn't find the problem.
They even checked all fuses and the wiring loom but in vain.
The response I got was to bring the car when it happens next but it seems futile since it starts up when pushed !
Just guessing, but looks like you've changed everything except the starter motor !

Check if your Authorized Service Center can swap out the starter motor for a good one & check if the problem persists.
-
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 19:45   #238
BHPian
 
hrbheda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bombay
Posts: 99
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: help! car won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Just guessing, but looks like you've changed everything except the starter motor !

Check if your Authorized Service Center can swap out the starter motor for a good one & check if the problem persists.
-
The SA at the service station said it wasn't a likely cause since the car would start without any problem on most days. This has happened twice in the last 2 months ( that when i had the battery changed ).

But thanks! I will ask my local mechanic to get a standby starter and get it checked!! Will get back with a reply as soon as i get some thing definitive!
hrbheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 22:00   #239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 6,995 Times
Default Re: help! car won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
Hello everyone!
I own a 2010 i10 1.2 petrol and have a unusual problem.
We had a similar problem with an Etios in the family. Randomly would not start , jump starting would work fine. After lot of trial and error was traced to a faulty switch for the boot lamp, which meant the boot lamp was on all the time and hence was draining battery. Not something to easily verify also.

Edit: Missed the fact that your car is an i10. So maybe the boot lamp point is not valid. But could be something similar.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th May 2015 at 22:16.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 22:05   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,689
Thanked: 5,058 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

Finally, when the car is bump/jump started it starts right up.

!

So are you saying that when making a jump start it starts normal? If that is the case I would still suspect the battery and or the various electrical connector on the battery terminals and earth. Check if they are all tight and no sign of corrosion

Where do you put the jumper cables? Both on the wire clamps on the battery terminals? Or the earth somewhere on the chassis?

Jeroen.
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Car won't start. Guess why? A rat chewed up the fuel line supremeBaleno Technical Stuff 54 18th October 2015 13:54
Drunk & Driving? Your car won't start! rishibravo The International Automotive Scene 6 6th December 2013 21:11
help! car won't start vivekiny2k Technical Stuff 10 26th March 2007 21:02
NFS CarBon won't start "NFSE.EXE has encontered a problem & need to close..... unknown Shifting gears 17 7th January 2007 15:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks