Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th April 2017, 10:57   #496
BHPian

Post Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Uh oh, you did not maintain correct polarity whilst connecting the battery. Not a good thing with modern cars. The polarity reversal may have affected some electronic/electrical components, not just the fuse.

If the car is not starting you will need to get it towed to a workshop for further diagnosis.
I managed to get the car started!!! I took out the 60A fuse that I replaced and checked the continuity using a multi-meter. The fuse was open :(

I went back to the shop and had the fuse replaced (after a bit of coaxing and convincing) with another one. This time I checked for continuity at the shop and after I fixed the new fuse, all systems came up. I took the car for a drive and all systems seems to be OK. I topped up the coolant and also emptied and refilled the air on all tyres. I would be replacing the engine oil as well.

There is another question that I have. I had filled up petrol (tank full) late in mid December '16. I must have used only about 5 liters from then. Apart from evaporation loss is there anything else to be worried about? Primarily, does petrol go stale with time?
swissknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 11:30   #497
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I managed to get the car started!!! I took out the 60A fuse that I replaced and checked the continuity using a multi-meter. The fuse was open :(

There is another question that I have. I had filled up petrol (tank full) late in mid December '16. I must have used only about 5 liters from then. Apart from evaporation loss is there anything else to be worried about? Primarily, does petrol go stale with time?
The petrol does not go stale, but with no use the sediments in the fuel will collect at the bottom. When the car is started these will be sucked up and clog the fuel filter, depriving the engine of fuel.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 11:39   #498
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The petrol does not go stale, but with no use the sediments in the fuel will collect at the bottom. When the car is started these will be sucked up and clog the fuel filter, depriving the engine of fuel.
In that case, I suppose I would syphon out the fuel and also have the fuel tank cleaned out. In addition, I would also have the fuel filter looked into.

Thanks.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:41   #499
Senior - BHPian

Since it is just 3 months , the fuel would still be fine.

My experience is the engine would still fire with petrol <6 months old, but have found the loboilers in petrol vaporize after that time and the end result would be a stale foul smelling fuel+ an engine that doesn't fire.

Replace the stale fuel with fresh and you'll be good to go.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 12:14   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
That blown fuse may have prevented further damage. Why did it blow? No idea but you're lucky. A polarity reversal could affect the ECU and other systems. Please be careful to observe polarity when refitting batteries or any other electrical/electronic component in the car.

Quote:
"Stagnant" petrol is/was known to cause varnish withing the tank and fuel pipes. My cars have seen very little running and have been idle for months at a time with no detrimental effects to the fuel system yet. So if your vehicle is running normally just continue using it. In other words "don't attempt to fix what is not broken"
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 16:43   #501
BHPian

My car was parked in the rains for more than a week and now it won't start. It cranks, doesn't fire and shuts down and the check oil lights beeps few times. At times it starts, runs for a moment, the check engine oil light comes on and beeps and the engine dies. Oil is upto required level. According to the owner's manual, the check engine oil light should turn red in case of low oil pressure. Here it does not turn red either.

I called up the garage and they suspect that rats have chewed up some wire or lines. They will inspect the same tomorrow. The car is a 2005 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI.

Any clues on what could be wrong?

Regards
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 13:07   #502
BHPian

Hello

The problem now stand diagnosed as a shorted " Crank Sensor". Any idea how much it will cost and where it will be available?

Regards
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 12:53   #503
BHPian

My 2008 Diesel Verna which has done 90k kms takes a long time to start after long rides, like after riding for more that 100 kms.
Issue 1)
=======
It usually takes a 2 second crank after which it starts at cold.
But when the engine is hot, it takes more than 5 seconds. At one point recently, after a drive of less than 100 kms, it failed to start after a 10 second crank. After waiting for another 10 minutes, it started at the 7th second of crank or close.

After giving it to a Hyundai ASS, and after them keeping the vehicle for 2 days, they suspect it is the diesel tank float which has a crack on the float. They say they have exhausted all other possibilities, like fuel line issues etc.

The scanner didn't complain about anything apart from the clutch switch pedal, which was replaced again in less than 2 years.

Issue 2)
=======
Another issue which has developed with my vehicle is that the vehicle shudders when shifting if I let go off the accelerator completely. It also shudders while driving at low speeds at low gears without putting a foot on the accelerator. This was diagnosed at the ASS to the engine mounting which they think has become weak.

Currently I shift gears keeping a light foot on the accelerator, and always ride the clutch at low speeds to avoid the jerking.

Since the diagnosis of both these issues were not concrete and that they didn't have the parts(i.e. the diesel tank float and the engine mounting), none of these works were done.

The vehicle otherwise is working perfectly and has no issues with performance.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea about these issues.

Thanks

Last edited by micraft : 8th August 2017 at 12:55.
micraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:31   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post

Currently I shift gears keeping a light foot on the accelerator, and always ride the clutch at low speeds to avoid the jerking.

Thanks
Not a good thing to do, half clutch and light foot when changing gears!

Have you had your clutch checked thoroughly?
Old 9th August 2017, 14:41   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Not a good thing to do, half clutch and light foot when changing gears!
I hope you're pointing at the damage to the clutch by putting a foot on the clutch. Obviously I'm aware of that, but need to compromise on that for the vehicle to move smoothly without jerking, especially when there are infants in the vehicle. And I only do this at very low speeds.

What's wrong with light foot on the accelerator when changing gears? Compared to the acceleration required for rev matching at down shifts, this should be nothing.

Quote:
Have you had your clutch checked thoroughly?
Do you think any of these issues are related to the clutch, or are you considering the damage caused to the clutch because of the half clutch or low speeds?
Old 9th August 2017, 17:33   #506
Senior - BHPian

If there is a judder when you let go of the accelerator the chances are your clutch might be slipping.

Do get it checked first before suspecting the engine mounting.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 18:48   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If there is a judder when you let go of the accelerator the chances are your clutch might be slipping.

Do get it checked first before suspecting the engine mounting.
Thanks hserus for the response.
Yes, this is mainly happening when I let go off the accelerator while shifting. And occasionally when I'm at low speed with no foot on the clutch.

My car is at Sri Raghavendra Bosch in Graphite India Road now, and they are suspecting the engine and transmission mounts, and are insisting that all 4 mounts be changed, even though only 2 are showing visible signs of weakness.

I just called them now, and they said they will not be able to confirm if it's the clutch or the engine mounts, till they replace each. And there is no return policy for the parts either. Basically they are going to get richer if they replace the less likely parts first.

Is there any other test which I can advice to them to narrow down the issue to the clutch?
Old 9th August 2017, 18:52   #508
Senior - BHPian

If the mounts are showing signs of weakness you need all 4 replaced, but check the clutch first. If you want go there with a trusted mechanic and have them show you and the mechanic the issue. Check around among bangalore tbhp people on contact info for any good mechanic who you can pay to give a second opinion.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 06:23   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
Do you think any of these issues are related to the clutch, or are you considering the damage caused to the clutch because of the half clutch or low speeds?
I suspect that it is the clutch that is the cause of the issue that you are having. The rubber mounts may contribute to the shudder, but my primary suspect is the clutch.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2017 at 08:40. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 10th August 2017, 06:57   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Judder and only if you let go accelerator completely. Looks like engine mounts replacement is correct.

If it was clutch slipping then effects would get pronounced in lower gears while de-accelerating and higher gears while accelerating.

For engineers here, I plead guilty of using wrong terminology for low and high gear. Low here means numerical low.

As to other problem if fuel float is cracked then it should show low fuel needle position in the gauge too. Cannot think why this would lead to long / late ignition. Low fuel pressure is a possibility but you say scan had not thrown up any error. Low pressure would generate error.

Last edited by sudev : 10th August 2017 at 07:01.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote