Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th March 2013, 02:37   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Solutions to a Stiff / Hard Gearshift

It might not have struck those lazy mechanics that it might be a fork centralization issue or a coupling rubbing against it. Tell them your theory and see if it lights a bulb on them. I know the production line head of Tata motors pune (visiting faculty in my college :P), pm me your contacts if you want me to pass on the issue to him. I'm sure he'll be able to pull some strings.
arjun18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 03:51   #32
BHPian

Good day Sirs,

I would like to share a related experience. We have a 2006 Ford Fiesta Diesel which we bought 2nd Hand in 2009 with 25K on the odometer. So far she has done upto about 51K with us, The problem with its gear is that, with the vehicle in motion one can not downshift from 2nd to 1st gear,no matter what. I have learned to live with it somehow and need to tell every new driver. All the garrages including the Ford workshop discourages me telling that it is a small issue and not worth spending 15/20 thousand to open and inspect. Sometimes though this becomes a little annoying at the crowded Kolkata roads as the vehicle stops at very slow speeds or I need to keep the revs a little higher. I wonder what might cause this in an otherwise good car.

Best regards
S.Sanyal
sanyal779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 22:02   #33
BHPian

I have a VISTA TDI March 2009 model. It has only covered 18k kms and till now had been niggle free except some irritating vibration from the Gear lever and random clashing while engaging 1st gear. I had shown to TATA ASS and they told me I am engaging 1st gear in higher speed and not disengaging the clutch fully. As the problem was not severe I also believed them and just as the extended warranty got over gearbox problems have resurfaced.
1st gear was getting harder day by day to engage and its engaging speeds started coming down from 15kmph (initially) to 10kmph and now its down to 0.5 kmph or just before standstill.

Only 1st gear has a problem, rest other gears shift smoothly without any issue whatsover. 1st gear also engages without any problem if the vehicle is at standstill but not at any other speed. Don't you think 1st gear not engaging except standstill can be a problem while driving in ghats? Do you recommend me to go for a gearbox overhaul or not for this issue? How much would it cost?

I fully doubt the 1st-2nd gear double-cone synchro and the synchro centralization is to blame. If I am lucky it can be just a problem with the Shifter cables but then the shifting has more to do with vehicle speed and only one gear.

Anyone of you have faced this problem. Your inputs please.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 22:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I fully doubt the 1st-2nd gear double-cone synchro and the synchro centralization is to blame. If I am lucky it can be just a problem with the Shifter cables but then the shifting has more to do with vehicle speed and only one gear.

Anyone of you have faced this problem. Your inputs please.
Why do you doubt it's the synchronizer? Everything points to it being at fault here.
You're out of warranty, yeah? Get it fixed outside of Tata then.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 16:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why do you doubt it's the synchronizer? Everything points to it being at fault here.
You're out of warranty, yeah? Get it fixed outside of Tata then.
I had taken the car last week to Srinivasa Auto, Hadapsar authorized TATA ASS. The garage owner recognized me and offered to do a test drive. He tried to engage the first gear and it was hard but he said its ok.
We took the car on a Hill where it could be driven only on 1st gear and we did shifting from 2nd to 1st and again 2nd and I was able to re create the synchro clashing noise.
The mechanic put his hand behind the left front wheel of the car and adjusted the clutch pedal free play.

Effect: Clashing has stopped, 1st gear can be shifted even at 30 kmph although it takes its own time to synchronize.

Fault: Excessive clutch pedal free play. But this setting came from company! and I am sure this excessive clutch pedal free play has already taken its toll on the synchronizer to some extent. As of now the 1st gear has no problem and also 2nd gear has become smooth.

Due to the excessive clutch pedal free play the clutch was not disengaging properly causing the synchronizer rings to clash and not shift while in motion.

I was charged zero rupees for setting the clutch pedal free play and was saved off a costly Gearbox Overhaul affair.

Well just for records, it costs 5k to replace a single double cone synchronizer in TATA ASS. Also from the old Indica spare parts list available on team-bhp, I could make out that the double cone synchro should cost somehwere about 2-3k INR. The excel is an old one and it shows the cost of "Assembly double cone synchro" as 1600 Rs.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 13:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Gearshift is hard with engine turned on, but smooth if the engine is turned off - the car being stationary in both cases. This should rule out any problems with the gear cables. There's also a screeching noise engaging reverse.

Where could the problem be ? The car is a Punto MJD( hydraulic clutch ) with 79K on the odo. There's no slippage. I've showed it at FASS and a FNG - they tell me that a clutch change is needed, but I'm not sure if they're correct.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th April 2015 at 13:27.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 23:45   #37
BHPian

Great to see others also faced the hard gear shift issue.
Mine is Punto 1.3 MJD done 51000kms with stock clutch.
Lately, I am facing below issues
1) Clutch fully depressed, 1st gear slots but with minor hinderance
2) Other gears slots perfectly fine with clutch fully depressed
3) Clutch is smooth/spongy type. No hard at all
4) No issues of reverse gear/no clutch slipping
5) Out of 1 week drive (250kms) i faced 3 instances of grinding noise in 3rd and reverse gear

I checked with FASS and independent mechanics. They sprayed some lubricant in engine bay.
I am not facing hard difficulty, but kind of sensitive of hard gears. Its like 10-15% occurrence during my daily drive.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 07:12   #38
BHPian

Friends, Any inputs would be helpful please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Great to see others also faced the hard gear shift issue.
Mine is Punto 1.3 MJD done 51000kms with stock clutch.
Lately, I am facing below issues
1) Clutch fully depressed, 1st gear slots but with minor hinderance
2) Other gears slots perfectly fine with clutch fully depressed
3) Clutch is smooth/spongy type. No hard at all
4) No issues of reverse gear/no clutch slipping
5) Out of 1 week drive (250kms) i faced 3 instances of grinding noise in 3rd and reverse gear

I checked with FASS and independent mechanics. They sprayed some lubricant in engine bay.
I am not facing hard difficulty, but kind of sensitive of hard gears. Its like 10-15% occurrence during my daily drive.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote