Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th August 2008, 09:15   #16
BHPian

Exclamation WagonR Suspension

true it is basis how and where you drive. but for the last three services on my wagonR 2002 edition(old body) i've noticed that every time i send it in for service with the complaint of the front right susp squeaking it clears up for a day's worth of diving and is back again. its a squeaking sound that can be heard over undulations and at over 90 over even a slightly uneven road... any ideas what i can do. the car is not even 35k old since purchase(Dad drives) i'm up a wall over it... thanks in advance... aditya
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 18:53   #17
BHPian

Factors affecting suspension life:
1: type of roads on which vehicle is used.
2: Load carried by vehicle.
3. style of driving.
4. maintenance done(preventive)
5. Mileage (yes mileage is a factor), but can be increased with carefull driving.
6. TIME (with time rubber seals, oil disintegrates).
7. Damage (accidental or otherwise).

symptoms:
1. squeaks
2. bottoming out.
3. vehicle pulling one side
4. abnormal tire wear (actually a vast topic as diffrent wear patterns indicate different difects in suspension geometry, cant be covered here).
5. mettal sounds while riding over bumps.
6. excessive body movement during & just after crossing a bump ( less damping)
7. body roll.
8. unusual steering feedback(can be due to reasons other than suspension).

best DIY checks:

1. look for abnormal tyre wear (un-even wear indicates defect in suspension geometry)
2. for damping effect check: push the car up & down near each suspension. the car should immediately stop vibrating, as soon as force is removed. If it takes more than 2 up/downs before settling, the dampers needs a change.

Although suspensions can be serviced/repaired but it is always better to replace with new parts, rather than rebuilding them.

Last edited by arunforu1 : 12th August 2008 at 18:54.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 19:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

I used to hear a weird remote sounding "Thump" from my rear left wheel everytime I hit a pothole, this sound comes a fraction of a second or even less after the wheel actually goes into/comes out of the pothole. I attributed it to tyre wear, but now, even on my new tyres the sound persists, could it be the suspension or what?

I don't find the symptoms of bad suspension as mentioned in previous posts, also there are no loose tools or materials in the boot which could cause this noise. This is only from rear left wheel. Any suggestions?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 19:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I used to hear a weird remote sounding "Thump" from my rear left wheel everytime I hit a pothole, this sound comes a fraction of a second or even less after the wheel actually goes into/comes out of the pothole. I attributed it to tyre wear, but now, even on my new tyres the sound persists, could it be the suspension or what?

I don't find the symptoms of bad suspension as mentioned in previous posts, also there are no loose tools or materials in the boot which could cause this noise. This is only from rear left wheel. Any suggestions?
get the suspension bushes checked. If you ride over a bump really hard, then thump is normal due to near-full collapse of telescopic suspension(rebounding sound).
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 20:49   #20
BHPian

Default How should you drive?

Take the following scenario -
You are driving on a highway at around 90-100 or maybe 110 kmph - a stretch of road comes up before you with some worn out patches on the road, typically caused by excessive and overloaded traffic during the monsoon - I'm sure you all have experienced these on the crowded highways. These stretches can not exactly be called potholed, they are just rough patches where the topmost layer of tar has got eroded away by the truck tires, at many places and these are just a few milimeters in depth.
Now my question is should you keep driving at the same high speed with the suspension making that typical grrrrrr noise and let it do its job? Does it reduce the life of the suspension?
Or should you slow down to about 50 or 60 to cross this stretch and make life easy for the suspension?
Thanks.
9tMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 21:42   #21
BHPian

I dont know whether i qualify for this thread or not, but my Santro Zipdrive which has done good 97300 kms has started showing its age. The suspension has started squeaking and even while on standstill she goes like creak creak (sound emitting). But what surprises me is whenever she goes for a service she behaves well for a week or two and then it starts again. So can i run the same setup till a lakh kms, as i dont see any sign of tyre wear, neither does she bottom even with my family stuffed in with luggage (i am serious about it), but over smaller potholes and road joint there is a good thud even at 30 kms as she runs on 70 profile rubber.

Second thing: With 2 people on board she manages to corner at 60-70 kms. So what do you think guys?

Last edited by nikibusa : 13th November 2008 at 21:43.
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 21:48   #22
BHPian

I am no expert and this is from my experience.

In it's initial days, on younger and lesser stressed suspensions, our Alto had been frequenting such surface regularly on the GT road. Due to the traffic it was never possible to get anywhere above 60 on the stretches we travelled. This it continued for about 15K. There wasn't any noticeable suspension problem.
Thanks to the GQ, the next 17K was spent on velvety roads. However about a month back, due to closures on the normal highway route we take, we had to go back to the GT road. The road surface was as one would expect after the monsoons. And at places the tarmac wearing was slightly deeper, not exactly potholes one can say still. Went over these at around 60 for about a week. Soon after this started to hear funny noises while going over bumps from the front suspension, like metal grinding. The steering too was vibrating.
Went for a service and had to work on the suspension, tie rods, changed the bushings, and now it's fine. Now are really careful when taking the rough roads again.
I feel they really do damage your suspension, but a lot depends on the ageing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Take the following scenario -
Now my question is should you keep driving at the same high speed with the suspension making that typical grrrrrr noise and let it do its job? Does it reduce the life of the suspension?
Or should you slow down to about 50 or 60 to cross this stretch and make life easy for the suspension?
Thanks.
Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 22:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread, I always wanted to know about symptoms of an aging/broken suspension. I'll keep looking here.

I had a very strange noise in my Esteem. But it was sorted out after changing a rubber bush, which became brittle. The car was 4 years old, and 60K on odo. 250 bucks and it sorted it out, but the squeaking noise was quite offensive.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Default Re: Car Suspension Life

My Indica has done about 63k+ and recently changed the bushings on the front struts. The metallic noise returned after a brief period of a month. It is indeed very irritating noise when I go over potholes and or speedbrakers.

The mech has asked to change the struts. Can some one tell what all do I get replaced as the whole suspension setup will come off ? The mech told me that there would be a need for re-alignment after the job.

Costing for the bushing change was 900 bucks including labour. Do I also get these changed again when I put in new struts ?

Costing given for both the front struts is in the range of 4-5 K with labour.

Thank you for all your help in advance !
the-rare-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 08:55   #25
BHPian

Hi everyone,
It is really the great thread and When I decided to put query, I have come across this thread, and I have decided to HIJACK this thread for mine. Hope the thread owner agrees.

I have wagon R 2006 Apr Model, and it is 5+years old now and It has done about 29,500KM only.

My Issues are :

1. For the past three months, the front left side has been giving THUD sound , whenever car ran over the pot hole( even tiny pot hole) or the even the small speed breakers.

When I asked it in MASS, in the last service, he said, the bushes needs to be replaced and it costs about 1000 to 1500 rupees

a) Only replacing the bushes will solve the issue ????

b) MASS said, even if we replace the bush, we need to replace tyre also, as it is weared out. Other wise the issue will still exist ( I am thinking of using tyres for 5000 more KM).

c) In the last long drive, I have noticed that, The car has almost lost handling the corners. Usually I used to negotiate the corners at 100+. But this time when I tried to negotiate the corner at this speed, I almost lost control couple of times, and I had to come down to 80kmph range to negotiate the corner.
This is the case when , I take the corner from right to left.
left to right, I still be able to take it at 100+.

d) Nowadays my wife is complaining about the back seat comfort, and she has been telling that, when ever car ran over the speed breaker, the rear seat is BUMBY. Is it mean that, the back side shock absorber is also weak?

Experts, Please throw some light on this.

My view Point is :

1. If it is going to take more than 20,000 rupees for suspension overhaul +13000 for tyres, I will spend just 3000 max to fix the bush issue in the suspension and use it for two more years and sell it. ( By the time the car would have become 7 years old).

2. If it is sure that, the handling will improve after this exercise, I will spend and I will keep the car for couple of more years.

So I request all, to put their view points, to decide on this.

Thanks.
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:41   #26
BHPian

Dudes,

Any help. Keeping the fingers crossed

Thanks,
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just 29500 kms of running, and a suspension overhaul with worn tyre replacements being recommended already ?

Seems too less kms on the odo for such a big bill of 20,000 + 13000 to loom large !

Were the wheels being aligned and rotated regularly during your periodic servicing ? Or maybe rough roads are the cause ?

Anyway, I feel proceed one step at a time, as you were saying, change the bushes first and see.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 18:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
1. For the past three months, the front left side has been giving THUD sound , whenever car ran over the pot hole( even tiny pot hole) or the even the small speed breakers.
I too suspect the lower arm bushes. You might need to change the entire arm, if the bushes are not available separately.
Quote:
a) Only replacing the bushes will solve the issue ????
Yep, the sound will be dealt with.
Quote:
b) MASS said, even if we replace the bush, we need to replace tyre also, as it is weared out. Other wise the issue will still exist ( I am thinking of using tyres for 5000 more KM).
Well,unevenly worn tyres put additional load on the suspension components, and cause to wear them out early. Its your pick. Wanna save the tyre or suspension?
Quote:
c) In the last long drive, I have noticed that, The car has almost lost handling the corners. Usually I used to negotiate the corners at 100+. But this time when I tried to negotiate the corner at this speed, I almost lost control couple of times, and I had to come down to 80kmph range to negotiate the corner.
Bust shocks cause wallowyness. Please check the shocks. In any case, 100+ km/h cornering in a wagonR is sure-shot recipe for disaster. Please drive safe.
Quote:
d) Nowadays my wife is complaining about the back seat comfort, and she has been telling that, when ever car ran over the speed breaker, the rear seat is BUMBY. Is it mean that, the back side shock absorber is also weak?
Change the front shockers and check. Later on move to the rear.

Quote:
If it is sure that, the handling will improve after this exercise, I will spend and I will keep the car for couple of more years.
Yes, its possible to bring back the handling of a car to its original state by suspension overhaul.

Hope this helps.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

My Issues are :

Thanks.
I have used my 1st WR for more than 10 years & still have 1 in my family. I changed the stock tyres of my car after 40+k kms. So tyre change after 29500 kms in your seems a bit earlier to me. You may decide about it only after rechecking the current condition of the tyres.
The front left side sound problem looks common. I also had noticed this with my WR earlier. I remember, sometimes the problem is only with the strut kit assembly (which costs about 400 Rs). I would suggest you to check it up with any known private garage, because very often the MASS people are interested in replacing the parts in stead of repairing. I noticed it so many times & then started to visit private mechanics for small repairs.
Hope this helps you to resolve the problem.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

My Issues are :

Thanks.
I have used my 1st WR for more than 10 years & still have 1 in my family. I changed the stock tyres of my car after 40+ kms. So tyre change in your case after this 29+k kms seems a bit earlier to me. You may get the tyre condition of your car checked before changing.
The front left side sound problem looks common. I also had noticed this with my WR earlier. I remember, sometimes the problem lies only with the strut kit assembly (which costs about 400 Rs) in such conditions. I would suggest you to check it up with any well known private garage, because very often the MASS people are interested in replacing the parts in stead of going for repairs.
I myself noticed this so many times & then started to visit some private mechanics for small repairs in stead of the authorized work shops. Hope this helps you to resolve the problem.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th June 2011 at 22:03. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Dr.Vikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 21:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Usually I used to negotiate the corners at 100+
Quite apart from the dangers, it also hurts the suspension and tires when you do things like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cornering gymnastics created uneven wear on the tyres and added extra stress to the suspension. Even one or two cornering incidents can cause long-lasting damage. The WagonR is severely under-tyred and not built to be driven hard without modification.

FWIW I have had to replace the front right shock absorber on my Corsa 3 times in 40,000km. The first two times under warranty. It was eventually traced back to a faulty rim (bent at the inner rim, crafty devil) causing the wheel to unbalance itself every time I hit a big pothole. Mumbai had many lying around, so it was a pretty regular issue.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote