Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th June 2011, 23:40   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Car Suspension Life

Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the cornering gymnastics created uneven wear on the tyres and added extra stress to the suspension.
Cornering hard does not create uneven wear on tyres. Uneven wear is mostly caused by running unbalanced tyres for long.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 08:54   #32

^^I'm pretty sure tire wear is caused by weight transfer under cornering. The effect is far more pronounced in cars than larger vehicles where the longitudinal movement causes more wear because of the inability of the vehicle to exert large lateral forces on its tyres.

Here is a document explaining the science behind it (warning: lots of math):

http://archive.pepublishing.com/cont...8577g6k898725/ - another one, a brief excerpt this time.

Once you cross a limit the suspension/tyre combination is unable to maintain the same contact patch as when travelling in a straight line. If you do it often enough or hard enough, you can cause issues.

Also dependent on which tyres we're talking about. Every tyre has different limits of cornering ability and resulting wear will also differ. But when only 30% of the contact patch is being used under severe stress, you can cause uneven wear.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:25   #33

Originally Posted by double View Post
The car has almost lost handling the corners. Usually I used to negotiate the corners at 100+.
What are you up to? Suicide?
You picked the wrong car for such acrobats.

IMO, replacing the rubber bushes on the lower arm + bushes on the stabilizer bar + tyre change + wheel alignment / balancing should fix the problem.
Remember that 50% of shocks are absorbed by tyres alone and a good tyre reduces the burden on other suspension parts. Maruti's stock tyres are just about average. Go for Michellin or Yokohama without changing the profile.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:10   #34

Ohh, There are lot's of replies and suggestions.
Thanks all dudes.

My tyre is not worn out and still 35 to 40% of the thread is left.
Because out of 29500KM, 70% is run in side bangalore only, and other 30% is only on GQ's ( Bangalore to Chennai, Bangalore to Trichy , Bangalore to Madurai).

So this week I am going to take it to MASS for bush replacement, and Let me check the result on how it goes.

Because Now I don't want to change the tyres and that too when tyre prices are increased almost by 30%.
double is offline   Reply With Quote