Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st February 2013, 23:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
I wonder / request if this thread could also discuss the issue " My car sways to the left / right upon braking"

Common parameters being brakes, tyres and alignment, what else could contribute to the sway ? Please advice.
By 'sway", do you mean your car pulls to one side while braking?

Generally, 'pulling' to one side (i.e. the car drifts away from a straight line to one side of the road when braking), can happen due to the following reasons:

1. Improper toe-in / toe-out adjustment;
2. Brakes 'grabbing' on one side or not gripping on one side (such as a wheel cylinder leak);
3. Improper camber or kingpin inclination (esp. in cars where these parameters are adjustable);
4. 'Coning' of tyres due to previous wear pattern (one-sided wear).
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:32   #17
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Thanks for the wonderful article SST!

In our ambys of the yesteryears, we had this low hum which would fill the cabin when the engine reaches aa particular rpm and get painfully audible for a while after which it would die down on its own. The best part was the mechanic to whom the car was sent changed a lot of stuff and still the noise persisted. Time to show him this article!
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:23   #18
BHPian

I have Swift Vdi with mileage of about 70K. Lately I am experiencing rattling sound at around 900-950 RPM (idling when AC ON). This is quite loud and irritates me. The rattle seems to be coming from entire dashboard but I am not able to pin point the exact cause. Above 1000RPM and below 900 RMP (idling without AC is about 800RPM when engine is hot) I don’t here that sound. This is irrespective of car in motion or not. From outside engine doesn’t sound that loud.

What could be the cause? How do I make sure my Engine mounts are culprits? In swift how many engine mounts are there? Please help.

Last edited by abhijitvp : 22nd February 2013 at 11:25.
abhijitvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Sir, Thank you for sharing the diagnostic parameters relating to the issue of vibration.

I wonder / request if this thread could also discuss the issue " My car sways to the left / right upon braking"

Common parameters being brakes, tyres and alignment, what else could contribute to the sway ? Please advice.
Reasons-->

1) Check Air pressure and make sure tyres with similar treads are present in the front. A 30 thousand run tyre on the left front axle and a brand new tyre on the right front axle will cause a brake pull in most circumstances

2) Alignment out --Adjust toe in- toe out, Camber out which is mostly not adjustable in vehicles of India and the reason for camber going out of its limits is a bent strut. Replace strut in this case but if the alignment readings are fine then the other things to look at are

3) Brake caliper pins- They lose their grease many a times and get stuck. Lubricate and fit back

4) Air in the brake lines - Bleed the entire lines for any air, this is a common problem, has happened to my car twice in 70 thousand km.
humyum is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
In our ambys of the yesteryears, we had this low hum which would fill the cabin when the engine reaches aa particular rpm and get painfully audible for a while after which it would die down on its own. The best part was the mechanic to whom the car was sent changed a lot of stuff and still the noise persisted. Time to show him this article!
The Amby was a unique car with (or despite) all its quirks. However, the hum that you are talking about used to be related to the propshaft being out of balance or out of phase. Lifting up the rear suspension by either inserting a couple of extra leaf springs, or re-cambering the springs, was something that stressed out the U-joints anyway. Replacing/repairing/balancing the U-joints made them noisy if not properly done.

And how often were differentials opened up thoughtlessly, and assembled back equally carelessly (leaving them humming at speed) is anybody's guess!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:04   #21
BHPian

Excellent thread ss-traveller it is really helpful for all of us.In fact i got my car balanced today, it used to wobble at 80-100 km/h , got it done from a professional tyre care shop via the machine & thank God its taken care of.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
In our ambys of the yesteryears, we had this low hum which would fill the cabin when the engine reaches aa particular rpm and get painfully audible for a while after which it would die down on its own.
Hi,
Had a lot of Ambys. Each was slightly different! In some, the boom (at ~40 Kmph, 4th gear) was bad enough to be physically uncomfortable, in others, hardly noticeable. I think it depended more on the bodyshell than mechanicals.

Another often missed out source was the 'centre bush' which was supposed to isolate the gearbox from its support crossmember.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:29   #23
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: "My Car / Steering / Brake Vibrates While Driving" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Had a lot of Ambys. Each was slightly different!
I absolutely agree! The ambys were a delight like no other, even with all its quirks. We had three ambys in our family, the second one had the issues I had listed. The last one was the funniest, since on alternate days its wheelcaps would fall off(it had those which looked like the merc three-point star), and the vehicle would make wierd sounds like a chalk on a board when driving through bumps. On somedays it would plainly decide not to start, all of a sudden our driver would began coaxing it by telling "chellam start aiydu di, aiyya kelambararu" (which translates to dear, please start, sir is leaving now) and it would roar to life within the next three cranks . The first one was the car where i ended up peeing inside when i was really young and within the next year the car was sold .
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 06:39   #24

Firstly, thanks a ton for sharing this. These technical gems go a long way.

In addition to the above, I would like to add another reason for a 'wobble' which usually happens in modern day cars. It most recently happened in my Swift (done only 6000 km) — sometimes the ECU gets corrupted and has to be reprogrammed from the dealer's workshop/service station.

When it happened to me, I was quite 'shaken' (haha)... But I was told, it is something that has started to happen to modern cars controlled by electronic systems.

Symptoms of ECU malfunctioning are:
- The wobble is only noticeable when the car is idling - the is irregular supply of fuel to at idle RPM range
- The wobble is felt mostly from beneath; the shaking doesn't happen at the steering or pedals, but comes from the seats
- The exhaust sounds as if it panting or coughing (there is interrupted exhaust noise)

Hope this helps!
Sanjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 10:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay19 View Post
In addition to the above...ECU malfunctioning...
...irregular supply of fuel to at idle RPM range
Hi Sanjay, your issue is related to engine misfiring due to a specific cause. The issue has been mentioned, but the specific reasons for engine misfire are too vast to cover in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
3. Engine Misfire:
• A misfiring engine creates vibrations in a random manner. The running of the engine will not sound consistently smooth. Search through Team-BHP to know more about the possible causes of an engine misfire.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 12:37   #26
BHPian

Default Toyota Camry Automatic 2007, Vibration while idling

Hi All,

I bought a Toyota Camry 2007 Automatic exactly 2 yrs ago in May 2011. I got a lot of advice to buy one here at Team-Bhp, and the entire experience of buying one is in this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...e-buy-one.html (Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.)

I have been really happy with the Car, and in the last 2 years the only times I have visited the Service Center are for the 50K Service, and the 60K Service + Power Windows Switch Recall.

On an average I have spent just 7000 - 8000 each ear for the Service. Only thinks replaced till now are the Brake Pads.

Once earlier during the 50K Service they had done the Throttle Body cleaning as the Car had a little vibration while idling and once in a blue moon the engine would shut while idling. The Throttle body cleaning resolved it at that time, and I was charged Rs 250 for it.

Now my Camry has done around 55K (60K Service done already as I had completed one year after the last service)

On Idling with the Car on Drive mode, and the brake pressed there is some vibration. If I move the lever to Neutral or P the Vibration comes down buy does not completely go away. The engine does not die while idling. What could be the issue ? Do you think it again requires the Throttle Body cleaning?

I have been filling normal petrol from the trusted BP Pump Pushpanjali, in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi. I was thinking of adding System G in the next 1-2 Tank Refills. Does anybody see any problem with System G in the fuel for a Camry ? Also is it a good idea ?

Thanks
Styler

Last edited by Styler : 5th May 2013 at 13:07.
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 13:03   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Camry Automatic 2007, Vibration while idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
On Idling with the Car on Drive mode, and the brake pressed there is some vibration. If I move the lever to Neutral or P the Vibration comes down buy does not completely go away. The engine does not die while idling. What could be the issue ? Do you think it again required the Throttle Body cleaning again ?
A little bit of vibration is normal when you are stationary while on D. But if you feel that the vibration has creeped up recently i suggest you get the engine and transmission mountings a through check up. it could be a minor case of any one of them going a bit hard.
if the mounts show no signs or wear or hardness or any problem, its time you give the car a good Italian tune-up and enjoy the power of the car.

My father owned a '03 Camry and as he was a very light footed driver the same throttle body cleaning was called in due to rough idling but then, once when the same problem came up AGAIN (it never shut off on idle but idle rpm was fluctuating a little bit) i was told to take the car for service. I was never given a chance to drive the car properly so I red-lined at almost every gear possible, (the car begged to be unleashed) and when i reached the service center the car behaved normally, all smooth and silky.
msaudf is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
I red-lined at almost every gear possible, (the car begged to be unleashed) and when i reached the service center the car behaved normally, all smooth and silky.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I need to get take it to some good roads and floor the pedal ...
Styler
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 17:44   #29
BHPian

Good and SAFE roads please.
A drive to some nice hill station will also do the trick, one stone two mangoes.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 19:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

The symptoms:

1) No perceptible engine shaking/vibration at idling speed(or, it is minimal / acceptable).

2) When accelerating in neutral, the engine/chassis vibrates. When standing before the bonnet(FWD), the front(left) end of the engine is stable. It is the back side(right) that which shakes under acceleration.

3) On the move, it is smooth: no vibration felt, even when accelerating, or when coming to a halt.

Visibly, the engine mount rubber is 'ok'. Any opinions?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote