Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 21:20   #286
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I had the Exide as OEM on my Getz right from the day of delivery. The battery lasted for 4.5 years/35,000 kms.

I went for Amaron Pro MF sealed battery as a replacement, mainly because I read a lot of negative reviews on the Exide.

Even my dad (old school!) was not able to understand why I am vehemently against Exide. His simple argument was - if its so bad, how come so many car makers choose it as an OEM?
Unfortunately the world is not so simple. Generally, awareness of such things is abysmal. Let me give just one very recent eg. - Someone I know could not start his car when he got in again after some shopping. It was pretty clearly a battery problem as the lights, etc, suddenly went very weak. Now, wherever you go in Poona, you will see a big red exide board and dealer somewhere. And he too found one around the corner somewhere. They came and confirmed that the battery was on its last legs. And since most of them are exclusive Exide dealers, thats the only battery they had. Since he is usually very busy, with absolutely no time to hunt, he just bought another Exide! Actually, he didn't even have much of an idea about other available options and prices until I told him! Product like batteries are definitely not something the average automobile owner ever does a minute of research on.

No doubt Exide thru the years has made its present felt. Its ubiquitious, most easily available and has dealers around every part of the city. And this visibility and marketing make the gullible amongst us think that its the best in quality too, since so many people are buying it.

Its pretty simple if you look at it... and pretty ancient technique too.

Even my own pop still belives that Exide must be the best. And no amount of personal experiences and hard evidence seems to make him budge from that. I guess, at one time Exide must have been making good batteries. Thats why they are placed where they are right now. But everything changes. The best brands of yester years can become the worst and vice versa.

The same is true everywhere. Take the example of Norton/Symantec. They used to make the most thired rate and bulkiest AV for years. And remember, they still used to sell well... even with IT people and corporates... except with the geeks. Today, they make one of the "lightest" AVs!

It is also quite likely that Exide deliberately makes such batterys. And I won't even elaborate why... its perfectly obvious!

Maybe sometime in the distant future Exide may again make "acceptable" batterys (trying not to be too optimistic here... )... but that time is not today!

Everything keeps changing!

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th July 2009 at 21:24.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 21:46   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Even my own pop still belives that Exide must be the best. And no amount of personal experiences and hard evidence seems to make him budge from that. I guess, at one time Exide must have been making good batteries
That must have been so frustrating for you to see your Dad espousing Exide. Can imagine the look on your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The same is true everywhere. Take the example of Norton/Symantec. They used to make the most thired rate and bulkiest AV for years. And remember, they still used to sell well... even with IT people and corporates... except with the geeks. Today, they make one of the "lightest" AVs!
True...Norton's 2009 products are excellent. Have been with Norton Internet Security for the past 2 years after decades of McAfee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
It is also quite likely that Exide deliberately makes such batterys. And I won't even elaborate why... its perfectly obvious!
Yups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Everything keeps changing!
Except your hatred of Exide.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 00:38   #288
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That must have been so frustrating for you to see your Dad espousing Exide. Can imagine the look on your face
Not really. Between us, such differences are the order of the day. Anyway, I'v always had my way... So you wont see any significant contortions on my face when he espouses the fictitious superiority of those evil, wretched boxes from Exide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Except your hatred of Exide.
Even that can change... if something drastic changes at Exide! I don't get stuck with things...

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th July 2009 at 00:39.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 08:49   #289
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,076
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Except your hatred of Exide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
! I don't get stuck with things...
Don't you, really?!

With Exide (car) batteries having given me a minimum of 3 yrs service and upto 5 years plus, I have never found reason to try out other brands that promise nothing significantly more! (Figures are for five batteries used over the last twenty-five years).

What takes the cake is the Exide trucking battery that I'm using with one of the inverters in my home - it has crossed ten years and still gives sufficient backup for me not to want to replace it just yet!

Maybe I'll switch allegiance when an Exide fails on me within two years or so!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 13:00   #290
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,730
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
With Exide (car) batteries having given me a minimum of 3 yrs service and upto 5 years plus
I have also not had any problems with Exide. My past vehicles had Exide batteries and I sold them after 5 years of usage with the same OEM battery. Current Santro seems to be running well with Exide after 55,000 kms and 4+ years.

Yes, it has gotten a wee bit weaker especially on cold starts, but no problems of not starting yet.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 15:16   #291
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Don't you, really?!

With Exide (car) batteries having given me a minimum of 3 yrs service and upto 5 years plus, I have never found reason to try out other brands that promise nothing significantly more! (Figures are for five batteries used over the last twenty-five years).

What takes the cake is the Exide trucking battery that I'm using with one of the inverters in my home - it has crossed ten years and still gives sufficient backup for me not to want to replace it just yet!

Maybe I'll switch allegiance when an Exide fails on me within two years or so!
I am well aware that some Exides to last a reasonable time. You have somehow been lucky to have those. But most do not. And that has been my own experience, the recent experience of few people I know personally, and even of most people on team-bhp.

In my case, it has not been just about them not lasting... they have even belched acid and gas and have ruined metal and paint esp. on my bikes. It seems this has been the experience of most other people on team-bhp too. This is something that I can't ever get over!

Also, it is no use talking about stuff as far back as 25 years or even 5 - 10 years ago. I'm sure Exide must have been good sometime in the past... thats probably why it is where it is today. Or maybe there really weren't much choices that far back... I don't know... I wasn't old enough to know... you'd know better. Fact is that most (ok, maybe not all) of the battries they produce NOW are trash! Not just trash, but downright dangerous for your vehicle.

That said, I got a Base Terminal batt for one of my bikes some 4-6 months ago. Much to my chagrin, the batt has electrolyte right upto its brim. I still had to buy it in that state as I need a batt urgently and apparently the only Base dealer in Pune is very far away from my place. In spite of this, the battery has not leaked a drop of acid. In fact there is sign even of vapour on its top. Funny thing is Base Terminal batts are cheaper and carry longer warranties than Exide. The Exides on the other hand were always filled up by me, and never had the electrolyte above the MAX mark and always had a drain tube properly connected... and yet they belched acid and gas and caused extensive corrosion and died pretty early.

The case has been similar with our car batteries. . The stock OEM batt gave starting trouble from day one. It was stone dead within exactly 7 days. The replacement Exide died exactly 15 days or so after the warranty expired. Similar experience with one other Exide...

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th July 2009 at 15:18.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 15:32   #292
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

I have had both bad and good experience with Exide Freedom Batteries. The first replacement battery had a bad cell after 1st year itself and due to my oversight could get it replaced under the warranty after the 2nd year. The 2nd Exide was left in my car which standing for more than 1.5 years. The service station told me that I would need to change the battery and its still running fine since the last 1.5 years and is now is almost 31/2 years old.

But somehow I feel Amaron batteries are the best.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 15:58   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,562
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

I second you on Amaron, I had a harrowing time with Exide, in the third year of usage the battery used to run down often leaving me stranded, thankfully I had the On Road Support plan which bailed me out every time.

Faced no problems for the next 3 yrs with Ameron, and the battery was still going strong when I sold the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have had both bad and good experience with Exide Freedom Batteries. The first replacement battery had a bad cell after 1st year itself and due to my oversight could get it replaced under the warranty after the 2nd year. The 2nd Exide was left in my car which standing for more than 1.5 years. The service station told me that I would need to change the battery and its still running fine since the last 1.5 years and is now is almost 31/2 years old.

But somehow I feel Amaron batteries are the best.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:00   #294
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I second you on Amaron, I had a harrowing time with Exide, in the third year of usage the battery used to run down often leaving me stranded, thankfully I had the On Road Support plan which bailed me out every time.

Faced no problems for the next 3 yrs with Ameron, and the battery was still going strong when I sold the car.
Guys, let's face it. Batteries dont last forever. 2-3 years is what you should expect with 4 years and above a bonus. Treat them as consumables just as you would your tyres and other car parts that experience wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I am well aware that some Exides to last a reasonable time. You have somehow been lucky to have those. But most do not. And that has been my own experience, the recent experience of few people I know personally, and even of most people on team-bhp.


The case has been similar with our car batteries. . The stock OEM batt gave starting trouble from day one. It was stone dead within exactly 7 days. The replacement Exide died exactly 15 days or so after the warranty expired. Similar experience with one other Exide...
Have been using bikes since the 80s and always went in for Amco Yuasa as replacements for the OEM Amco. Over the years my opinions firmed up to Amco for a bike and Exide for a car. Cant remember when Amco died and we were left with Exide bike batteries which I have not experienced. My RD350/RX100/Shogun all came with Amco. All my cars have come with Exide except I think the OHC which came with a SF back in 2002.

Yes SF and the ding dong battery didnt exist back then but somehow I dont believe they make much of a difference to me as, after just one bad experience, I replace batteries well before they die on me (with close monitoring as it gets older) and leave me stranded in the middle of a traffic signal or worse still middle of nowhere. It helps reducing my frustration levels with any particular brand.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 22:28   #295
BHPian
 
dhrishikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 795
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Tata Green batteries are very much good due to their range.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 23:35   #296
BHPian
 
shineshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkansas,US
Posts: 277
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

My previous battery was Sonic Furukawa MF DIN 55 which lasted for 5 years and 4 months. This time I went for Bosch Silver since I got it at a very competent price from a dealer, the price was even lesser than Amaron.
Both AMARON and BOSCH is using technologies of Johnson controls inc, US and in India BOSCH is made by AMARON but BOSCH has a slight edge on performance by using its Silver Ion patented technologes and a new paste formulation.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 00:45   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys, let's face it. Batteries dont last forever. 2-3 years is what you should expect with 4 years and above a bonus. Treat them as consumables just as you would your tyres and other car parts that experience wear and tear.



Have been using bikes since the 80s and always went in for Amco Yuasa as replacements for the OEM Amco. Over the years my opinions firmed up to Amco for a bike and Exide for a car. Cant remember when Amco died and we were left with Exide bike batteries which I have not experienced. My RD350/RX100/Shogun all came with Amco. All my cars have come with Exide except I think the OHC which came with a SF back in 2002.

Rgds,
Just 2 - 3 years?? You are being way conservative! Or is it that you drain them a lot with other accessories or something? I'd expect them to last no less then around 4.5 - 5 years. Anything less than that, and I'd probably not like to buy that brand again. I guess even this is conservative... battery makers in India seem to either deliberately design it so that it does not last longer or the quality/technology is lacking.

Yes, even my bikes have come with Amco Yuasas. Amco Yuasa was good... but now its only Amco, and without getting into details, the quality seems to have gone for quite a toss. Exide and Amco are both I'd keep away from (in that order).

Standard Farukawa, which is now an Exide brand seems to be better than Exide at least. Don't know whats the reason behind this. I guess they are made in different plants? Does anybody know?

Thats about branded batteries. Just 3-4 days ago, I went to an Exide dealer nearby to get my OEM Amco load tested (it has been giving trouble), as he has the equipment. I discovered that the guy uses the old batteries taken in exachange for making new batteries! He calls them assembled batteries! Isn't this illegal? And quite unsafe and environmentally hazardous too? The shabby looking battries even had labels! He said most of the customers for such batteries are rickshaws and LCVs! Furthermore, he told me to ignore those, as he was sure that I would not go in for those... lol!

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th July 2009 at 00:49.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 01:00   #298
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hey where can I get an Optima yellow top in Mumbai and how much would it run me?

I'd like to know who the importer is if any.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 03:14   #299
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,785
Thanked: 809 Times
Default

I have used Exide Freedom on 3 of my cars and they lasted more than 4 years.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 20:56   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Just 2 - 3 years?? You are being way conservative! Or is it that you drain them a lot with other accessories or something? I'd expect them to last no less then around 4.5 - 5 years. Anything less than that, and I'd probably not like to buy that brand again. I guess even this is conservative... battery makers in India seem to either deliberately design it so that it does not last longer or the quality/technology is lacking.

Yes, even my bikes have come with Amco Yuasas. Amco Yuasa was good... but now its only Amco, and without getting into details, the quality seems to have gone for quite a toss. Exide and Amco are both I'd keep away from (in that order).

Standard Farukawa, which is now an Exide brand seems to be better than Exide at least. Don't know whats the reason behind this. I guess they are made in different plants? Does anybody know?

Thats about branded batteries. Just 3-4 days ago, I went to an Exide dealer nearby to get my OEM Amco load tested (it has been giving trouble), as he has the equipment. I discovered that the guy uses the old batteries taken in exachange for making new batteries! He calls them assembled batteries! Isn't this illegal? And quite unsafe and environmentally hazardous too? The shabby looking battries even had labels! He said most of the customers for such batteries are rickshaws and LCVs! Furthermore, he told me to ignore those, as he was sure that I would not go in for those... lol!
Manufacturing batteries in-house is illegal and this character you went to can be hauled up. It is a hazard...lead poisoning is deadly but he possibly has a licence to manufacture batteries

My father's car (a Palio 1.6) has a SF....I've not been too impressed honestly speaking but they look better for sure. The Palio's OEM battery was an Exide and it lasted 4 years...the SF replacement packed up just short of its 2nd b'day and was replaced FOC. Still going strong though.

The 2-3 year lifespan is from personal experience and from reading on the internet. Batteries last only about 3 years in temperatures of 30+ degrees Cel which is considered severe conditions by battery manufacturers. In fact a 10 Cel rise in temp over 25 degrees C halves the battery's life which is why batteries are placed as far away from the engine as possible with a heat shroud in some cars. The charging system and temperature play are the 2 most important factors in determining a battery's life.

Check out Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List, and It's an amazing site all you ever wanted to know about Lead Acid Batts.

Regards,

R2D2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car battery life - How long did your battery last? shuvc Technical Stuff 842 16th June 2017 10:17
Battery dealer installs 3-wheeler battery in my car!! Now what? Soumyajit9 Technical Stuff 29 19th December 2016 11:06
PICS: SF Sonic Battery Factory. Detailed report on the making of a Car Battery S2!!! Technical Stuff 29 16th April 2016 11:39
Which is the Best Brand of Petrol for your car? arunkumar_rec Technical Stuff 36 29th July 2014 21:29
Battery needs replacement. Which brand? clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 73 23rd December 2011 15:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks