Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 15:50   #406
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

I had an SF in my car until less than 2 months ago. I would not recommend it... though my experience with it has been better than Exide. What is more, since your car is seldom used, you should consider going in for Pb Ca battery. The self discharge rate is supposed to be much lower with it. That brings you back to Amaron... and I guess also BOSCH.

If price is a factor, you could consider Base Terminal/Panasonic. Definitely better than Exide or SF. BT has 50 (18+32) month warranty with the pro-rata buy back as good as 30% till the end.

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th November 2009 at 15:52.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:22   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 715 Times
Default AMARON running after 5 years without a single issue

I would vote for AMARON, my 2004 Palio is still running on its first battery which is made by AMARON for FIAT. Not even a single issue till date, I use higher wattage bulbs with relays, standard audio and AC regularly.

Now I am expecting a replacement anytime, but it ran its best so not at all worried
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:20   #408
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,335 Times
Default

@MileCruncher, two options if that is the case :

1. Get Panasonic
2. Give this car an old battery from another of your cars. Give that car a new battery.

OT, Reason I suggested Exide / Amaron / Bosch are that 1st 2 were recommended by my SA. And I have Bosch.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:56   #409
BHPian
 
sudharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@MileCrucher, feedback for SF Sonic has not been too good : try the parent brand Exide instead. Or Amaron / Bosch.
I vote for Amaron. Had a Amaron battery last 7.5 years.
I read in one of the threads here that SF Sonic has been bought by Exide. Expect good Bye quality.?

Last edited by sudharma : 19th November 2009 at 17:58. Reason: Correction
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 23:21   #410
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I vote for Amaron. Had a Amaron battery last 7.5 years.
I read in one of the threads here that SF Sonic has been bought by Exide. Expect good Bye quality.?
Don't ever buy SF - had a bad experience with it, threw it out in less than 1 year, not even interested in warranty, who wants another SF even if it is free? Its acid leakage caused so much damage that I had to spent a packet welding on a new battery tray and cowl which had corroded and fallen through.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 10:57   #411
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Battery for Skoda Laura

Which battery you guys recommend for Skoda Laura L&K AT?
kshirekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:46   #412
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Don't ever buy SF - had a bad experience with it, threw it out in less than 1 year, not even interested in warranty, who wants another SF even if it is free? Its acid leakage caused so much damage that I had to spent a packet welding on a new battery tray and cowl which had corroded and fallen through.
Wow, so even their car batteries leak, just like their bike batteries (it ruined my bike)! I'm sure the SFs started puking acid the moment Exide took them over.

Anyways, if I were you, I would definitely at least claim warranty and then sell off the battery...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:50   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Wow, so even their car batteries leak, just like their bike batteries (it ruined my bike)! I'm sure the SFs started puking acid the moment Exide took them over.

Anyways, if I were you, I would definitely at least claim warranty and then sell off the battery...
I simply chucked it out within 12 months and switched over to a Exide battery, too tired to go pick up a fight with SF for a replacement - who wants a replacement anyway!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 11:56   #414
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

^^^ From the frying pan to the fire?!?! Well, watch out for leaks from that Exide too, mate!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:00   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ From the frying pan to the fire?!?! Well, watch out for leaks from that Exide too, mate!
This is my 3rd Exide battery in the Scorpio, experience has been good so far. But only time will tell!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 12:19   #416
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

I'm pleased to let everyone know my first day with the new SF battery was good. It was like the first date, still getting to know each other. Will know slowly the equation as the courtship progresses
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 20:20   #417
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,895
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm pleased to let everyone know my first day with the new SF battery was good. It was like the first date, still getting to know each other. Will know slowly the equation as the courtship progresses
Wish you good luck. My Exides have given better service than SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is my 3rd Exide battery in the Scorpio, experience has been good so far. But only time will tell!
Never had probs with Exide for 20 years. But I am beginning to pay close attention to what has been posted here. I think Exide suffers from inconsistent quality. I have had a close look at Amaron batteries (Thanks Raccoon for pointing me to that pit stop) and the Amaron batteries' case and even the packaging definitely seems to be better than Exides. All in all seems to be a modern product.

My OEM Exide batt is now 13 months old and the infamous 'OEM Exide post warranty self destruct' signal hasnt gone off yet. Fingers crossed.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 21:36   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....
My OEM Exide batt is now 13 months old and the infamous 'OEM Exide post warranty self destruct' signal hasnt gone off yet.
...
There is no such signal!
The earliest failure I have had with an OEM Exide battery is nearly 38 months! And I'm OLD!!
Read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-brand-25.html (Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?)
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 21:59   #419
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I would say Amazon is good and better.
classic_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 23:34   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
(Thanks Raccoon for pointing me to that pit stop) and the Amaron batteries' case and even the packaging definitely seems to be better than Exides. All in all seems to be a modern product.

My OEM Exide batt is now 13 months old and the infamous 'OEM Exide post warranty self destruct' signal hasnt gone off yet. Fingers crossed.
My pleasure. As mentioned before, its not just the packing - Amaron even has more tech. specs. mentioned like CCA, etc. Exide is interestingly silent on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is no such signal!
The earliest failure I have had with an OEM Exide battery is nearly 38 months! And I'm OLD!!
Read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-brand-25.html (Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?)
The signal is very much there! I personally, and a lot of other people here have testified to that!! Its just that somehow you guys have been luckier. Like R2D2 says, Exide quality seems very inconsistent. I understand you speak from your personal experience and I speak from mine... but tbhp is full of -ve feedback for Exides; compared to ANY other battery.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car battery life - How long did your battery last? shuvc Technical Stuff 873 6th December 2017 22:34
Battery dealer installs 3-wheeler battery in my car!! Now what? Soumyajit9 Technical Stuff 29 19th December 2016 11:06
PICS: SF Sonic Battery Factory. Detailed report on the making of a Car Battery S2!!! Technical Stuff 29 16th April 2016 11:39
Which is the Best Brand of Petrol for your car? arunkumar_rec Technical Stuff 36 29th July 2014 21:29
Battery needs replacement. Which brand? clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 73 23rd December 2011 15:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks