Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd May 2013, 21:10   #736
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
The Amaron showroom at Western Express Highway near Bisleri, andheri East is closed. Some travel booking agent is also selling Amaron batteries. does anyone have knowledge of the showroom shifting somewhere?
Mumbai members, any idea about Amaron showroom or a reliable shop selling Amaron in south Mumbai?
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:17   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
thanks for the reply. Up til now, I still haven't changed the battery, I wanted to see if there was any progression. My update is as follows:

2. One month of trials have showed that if I have multiple short trips in the day, I seem to have trouble starting around the 4th time, and then it continues like that for each start.

3. If I go on a trip for say maybe 30 or 40 km in which traffic is moving along, the car starts up right away.

Does this help narrow it down to the battery or is it something else? Thanks for the advice guys.
This is pointing towards insufficient charging by the alternator. I would first do a voltage test with all possible electrical loads switched ON(HL,Stereo,AC blower on max speed,etc.). If the voltage falls down below 13Volts( at RPM more than 1500) then it is clear that the alternator is unable to charge properly

First check the alternator then the battery and finally the starter.(In-sequence)
interc00led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 11:13   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

after more than 6.5yrs, the Exide Freedom in my Getz 1.3 died. now i've a choice of two brands - Exide (Exide FMA0-MA45L) and Amaron (AAM-PR-0055B24LS); not considering SF Sonic.

from BatteryBhai.com i'm getting the following deal:
  • Exide (Exide FMA0-MA45L):
    • With old Battery: Rs. 5700.00
    • Without old Battery: Rs. 6500.00
  • Amaron Pro (AAM-PR-0055B24LS):
    • With old Battery: Rs. 5400.00
    • Without old Battery: Rs. 6200.00

which one do i choose?

ps: the Hyundai ASC is quoting 6600/- and the Amaron dealer near my place is quoting 5700/- (with old battery).
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 16:04   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
after more than 6.5yrs, the Exide Freedom in my Getz 1.3 died. now i've a choice of two brands - Exide (Exide FMA0-MA45L) and Amaron (AAM-PR-0055B24LS); not considering SF Sonic.

from BatteryBhai.com i'm getting the following deal:

[*]Exide (Exide FMA0-MA45L):
[*]With old Battery: Rs. 5700.00[*]Without old Battery: Rs. 6500.00

[*]Amaron Pro (AAM-PR-0055B24LS):
[*]With old Battery: Rs. 5400.00[*]Without old Battery: Rs. 6200.00

which one do i choose?

ps: the Hyundai ASC is quoting 6600/- and the Amaron dealer near my place is quoting 5700/- (with old battery).
Looks like I was wrong. After reading a bit on do's and don'ts about the car battery, I took my multimeter and checked the voltage; it read 12.45!

I cranked, but the car wouldn't start. I suspected the negative lead might have connectivity issues due to calcification. Sort of fixed the lead on the battery terminal and cranked; the car started!

However, there was another problem; due to calcification, the bolt on the lead had solidified and wouldn't budge. Tried WD-40, but still couldn't see any movement. Then my neighbour (and BHPian) suggested hot water. He got hot water in a kettle and poured over the lead and voila! The calcification completely disappeared! The lead however had become sort of fragile andnindint wanna force it to a point where it would break, so we came up with a workaround.

Name:  image3804241045.jpg
Views: 3909
Size:  427.2 KB

With the lead secured tightly on the battery terminal, looking forward to many more years of flawless service from the battery!

Exide Freedom FTW

Moral of the story: don't give up on your battery until its really dead.

PS: I've already placed an order for a new negative lead with the Hyundai ASC.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th August 2013 at 16:17.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 16:21   #740
BHPian

Quote:

Looks like I was wrong. After reading a bit on do's and don'ts about the car battery, I took my multimeter and checked the voltage; it read 12.45!

I cranked, but the car wouldn't start. I suspected the negative lead might have connectivity issues due to calcification. Sort of fixed the lead on the battery terminal and cranked; the car started!

However, there was another problem; due to calcification, the bolt on the lead had solidified and wouldn't budge. Tried WD-40, but still couldn't see any movement. Then my neighbour (and BHPian) suggested hot water. He got hot water in a kettle and poured over the lead and voila! The calcification completely disappeared! The lead however had become sort of fragile andnindint wanna force it to a point where it would break, so we came up with a workaround.

With the lead secured tightly on the battery terminal, looking forward to many more years of flawless service from the battery!

Exide Freedom FTW

Moral of the story: don't give up on your battery until its really dead.

PS: I've already placed an order for a new negative lead with the Hyundai ASC.
Check out the CCA or the cold cranking ability of your batt from an authorised battery service centre
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:59   #741
BHPian

My amaron battery no maintenance gave up on me after 4 and half long years. It did its job well and its out now.
I got it replaced by Amaraon 30months warranty 30 months pro rata.
It costed me Rs.4000 after giving away the old battery for 400.

Battery has improved the way my ICE sounds and even the car jerking. Is it my odd observation?
I am happy the car is all charged up again.
The guy who changed the battery advised me to get copper connector points as it does a better job.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 21:25   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

this morning had to go to the doctor, but the car wouldn't start! checked a couple of times, but the starter motor would just whir but the engine wouldn't crank.

oh well, after 7yrs and 23days the Exide Freedom in my car finally gave up. its not completely dead, but doesn't have enough voltage (11.4v) to crank the engine. just to double check i called up the Hyundai Road Assistance crew and they too confirmed that the battery is weak (they were surprised that it lasted this long).

i didn't see any merit in recharging the battery and using it because the battery would again get weak and i'm might just be left stranded somewhere; so i decided to go for a new battery. my choices were Amaron and Exide. after a lot of reading and checking my contact at Hyundai ASC (and of course the Hyundai RSA crew) i finally decided to go with the Exide Matrix (MA45L):

Name:  20140108_184517.jpg
Views: 4146
Size:  113.2 KB

got it for 5950/- with exchange of the old battery from Prasiddhi Power House, New Thippasandra (after checking on Just Dial and their ratings).

after connecting the new battery when i turned the key, the engine immediately roared to life

ps: now the battery matches the upholstery colour - black and red

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th January 2014 at 21:27.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 00:23   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this morning had to go to the doctor, but the car wouldn't start! checked a couple of times, but the starter motor would just whir but the engine wouldn't crank.

oh well, after 7yrs and 23days the Exide Freedom in my car finally gave up. its not completely dead, but doesn't have enough voltage (11.4v) to crank the engine. just to double check i called up the Hyundai Road Assistance crew and they too confirmed that the battery is weak (they were surprised that it lasted this long).

i didn't see any merit in recharging the battery and using it because the battery would again get weak and i'm might just be left stranded somewhere; so i decided to go for a new battery. my choices were Amaron and Exide. after a lot of reading and checking my contact at Hyundai ASC (and of course the Hyundai RSA crew) i finally decided to go with the Exide Matrix (MA45L):

Attachment 1188415

got it for 5950/- with exchange of the old battery from Prasiddhi Power House, New Thippasandra (after checking on Just Dial and their ratings).

after connecting the new battery when i turned the key, the engine immediately roared to life

ps: now the battery matches the upholstery colour - black and red
I have the same battery in my 2006 model Accent GLE, installed in Aug 2012 and still good as new, never caused an issue even with sparse usage (sometimes parked for 2-3 weeks while I was out-of-town).

The status indicator window is very handy in helping avoid a deep discharge.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:17   #744
BHPian

Going by some of recent experience and tallying with mine, Exide on Hyundai cars seems to give more than average life. My Verna had an Exide which served me for 5 years and 9 months before being replaced even though it still had some juice left (did not want to take a chance as my wife was due to deliver)
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 14:51   #745
BHPian

Question Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

I am in the market for battery of my alto. I checked out the nearby Exide dealer and his quote for 'Exide Matrix' is 4.5K and for 'Exide Max' is 4.1K(with xchange of Old). The Matrix comes with (30 months replacement + 30 months pro rata)warranty and the Max with (24 months replacement + 24 months pro rata) warranty.

I would not like to spend much as this would be my backup car, and would be rarely used. Is this a good deal? Are there any other better brands for alto?
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 15:26   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am in the market for battery of my alto. I checked out the nearby Exide dealer and his quote for 'Exide Matrix' is 4.5K and for 'Exide Max' is 4.1K(with xchange of Old). The Matrix comes with (30 months replacement + 30 months pro rata)warranty and the Max with (24 months replacement + 24 months pro rata) warranty.
I changed my car's battery with Matrix last month. I shelled out something close to 4.5K if I remember correctly. Previously I was looking for an Amaron, but after repeated visits to some battery shops and mails to Amaron, I could not find a retailer! The Amaron acknowledgment mail said that somebody would be getting in touch with me shortly, which never happened. I thought that in such circumstances where sales is so lackluster, service will be a big trouble if some problem creeps into the battery. Hence, went for Exide Matrix. In fact, my experiences with Exide has been good always. The stock Exide in my car lasted for more than 5.5 years. Then changed to Matrix in 2008 which was stolen from my car an year later. It was going pretty strong till then. Then I changed to SF Sonic (which is an Exide) and it lasted from 2009 to 2014 January. Hence, all good. IMO, go for Exide Matrix. It's a good battery.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 22:39   #747
BHPian

Question Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I changed my car's battery with Matrix last month. I shelled out something close to 4.5K if I remember correctly.
Thanks!

I got a quote of around 3.6K for 'Amaron Flo' battery with similar kinda warranty(30+30) as with 'Exide Matrix' for Alto. Could any of the members here, share their experience with 'Amaron Flo'?

Last edited by JMaruru : 15th February 2014 at 22:41.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 19:23   #748
BHPian

My Indigo CS petrol's Exide freedom was completely discharged, as in zilch charge. I had left a cabin light on and didn't realize. Gave it to a local guy for charging; he calls up and says that Saar, battery is gone, it is not holding up the charge and trying to sell me a new battery.

I know the battery is 5 year 10 month old and may be due for replacement, but can it suddenly behave like this. Before I switched off the car after last use, it didn't show any indications of a weak battery, as in no flickering of lights, starting in a single crank.

I have asked him to come and put the battery back and I will see further what to do. Not sure if he would replace something inside to prove his point even if the battery is reasonably okay!
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 23:06   #749
BHPian

The battery did conk off after serving for almost 6 years. No reasons to complain against Exide. Replaced with Exide Matrix which comes with 5 year warranty with 30 months replacement. Batterybhai quoted 5200 Rs with buyback of old battery. Got it for 5k with buyback of old battery from a Exide retailer.
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 15:18   #750
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Can anyone guide from where I can buy exide matrix for skoda fabia diesel in hyderabad? Its urgent please. What is the price I would be looking at?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote