Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:32   #841
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 610
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Got the exide on my ride replaced with Amaron yesterday. I have had a good experience with Amaron and kind of bad with exide in the past. The exide lasted less than 4 years while I have been taking care to extend its life but this was disappointing. When the guy was changing the battery, I just asked him which one is he selling more these days, and his reply was Amaron. He said it sells a lot more than exide and is better too.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 12:14   #842
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,549
Thanked: 10,446 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
"Bigger battery, shorter life, all other conditions identical": An emphatic Yes, in cases of repeated sub-optimal charge replenishment (one of the main causes), that too, while being simultaneously exposed to high ambient temperatures (aiding the earlier cause in brackets) in the engine bay, whence the cumulative degradation is more pronounced.

What do you mean by "it will run hotter?" Being exposed to high ambient temperature in its day to day life? HEAT is another CAUSE to the effect of degradation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So if I've understood it properly this time, the bigger battery will have a shorter life because
a) the (engine/ battery) bay temperatures will be higher (won't make the mistake of saying battery will run hotter),
and
b) the battery will be 'suboptimally' charged.
The debate of "Bigger battery = Shorter life" seems to have fallen by the way without definitive answers.

From what I have understood (and not understood - mentioned in brackets alongside):

- Bigger battery = suboptimal charging. (Why? Given that my car runs adequately, why should suboptimal charging be an issue? And why would my smaller battery be optimally charged if I have drained it as much as a bigger battery?)

- Heat kills batteries. Whether endogenous or exogenous heat. (How about batteries placed away from the engine bay? Do they last longer?)

- Bigger battery = greater heat. (If charged with a higher current, yes, all batteries produce endogenous heat - so my smaller battery would heat up more than my bigger battery if the alternator output remains the same, isn't it?)

- Greater heat + suboptimal charging = reduced life of bigger battery. (So how about dual battery systems? Do both batteries die a premature death?)

Kindly continue the debate, gentlemen. I need my answers.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 19:56   #843
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,423
Thanked: 1,910 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

^^^
SS, I too am waiting to be educated!
Waiting for LL (the originator of the proposition) to agree, or modify this:
"If an OE battery is replaced by a somewhat larger battery, the life of the larger battery will be shorter because
a) the engine bay temperatures will be higher
and
b) the bigger battery will be suboptimally charged. "

If you remember first I had understood that battery temperatures would be higher, but then LL said that engine bay temperatures will be higher. So I want to get the statement correct first. We can continue the discussion after that.

Pls. note that higher temperatures, and improper charging regimes WILL ruin a battery. That is not in doubt. The question is why fitting a slightly bigger battery will lead to these two conditions.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 10:45   #844
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pune
Posts: 326
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

How is 'Hella' battery for Car?

Has anyone tried?
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:47   #845
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 487
Thanked: 341 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

My Bosch battery in my W124 E Class died after 3 years. Quite disappointing for a German brand.

I've decided to go in for an Amazon Pro. The warranty itself is reassuring but I wanted to ask if there was a better battery for Indian conditions. I've removed Optima gel batteries from consideration for many reasons.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:18   #846
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,731
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I've decided to go in for an Amazon Pro. The warranty itself is reassuring but I wanted to ask if there was a better battery for Indian conditions.
Amaron is one of the best brands in the market. I'm currently on an Amaron which is 4+ years and still going strong.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:43   #847
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

The Exide battery in my Alto 800 went dead prematurely after 21 months of purchase of the car. Can anyone highlight any reason for such premature death?

Also wanted to understand that since this has happened within 21 months of purchase of vehicle, do I get the replacement free of cost? Sai Service is quoting Rs. 4000 less Rs. 100 discount for replacement of battery.
subhro1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:56   #848
BHPian
 
SwiftSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 99
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
The Exide battery in my Alto 800 went dead prematurely after 21 months of purchase of the car. Can anyone highlight any reason for such premature death?

Also wanted to understand that since this has happened within 21 months of purchase of vehicle, do I get the replacement free of cost? Sai Service is quoting Rs. 4000 less Rs. 100 discount for replacement of battery.
I do not recall if I got a battery warranty card when I bought my car so can't comment on how to determine the purchase date but if you have one you can use it as a reference if not would suggest you get the battery serial number and check with Exide if they can provide the manufacturing date.

I would assume the Exide battery would have around 48/36 months warranty e.g. for 48 months it would be first 24 months free replacement and if something goes wrong in the remaining 24 months you would get a discount for a new battery on a pro-rata basis.

As you have mentioned 21 months, I assume based on the total warranty you would get a significant discount for a new battery if not a free replacement.


..SD
SwiftSD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 12:30   #849
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 763 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
The Exide battery in my Alto 800 went dead prematurely after 21 months of purchase of the car. Can anyone highlight any reason for such premature death? Also wanted to understand that since this has happened within 21 months of purchase of vehicle, do I get the replacement free of cost? Sai Service is quoting Rs. 4000 less Rs. 100 discount for replacement of battery.
No, I doubt you'll get a battery replacement free of charge. Your OEM battery probably has a warranty of 12 months. Please check the warranty T&C included with your car. The battery may even have a separate warranty card.

In my experience most OEM batteries are built to a cost and do not last as long as the same after-market part.

Longer warranty is also one of the reasons why an after market battery is more expensive. Given 2 batteries from the same manufacturer and with the same capacity (AH), the longer the warranty the more you pay. The materials used and cost of manufacture are almost the same.

I'd recommend you go in for an Exide or an Amaron low maintenance battery. Remember, the term 'maintenance free' is a misnomer here. These batteries require topping up with distilled water at 1-2 year intervals depending on the use, charging voltage and temperature.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 17:29   #850
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD View Post
I do not recall if I got a battery warranty card when I bought my car so can't comment on how to determine the purchase date but if you have one you can use it as a reference if not would suggest you get the battery serial number and check with Exide if they can provide the manufacturing date.

I would assume the Exide battery would have around 48/36 months warranty e.g. for 48 months it would be first 24 months free replacement and if something goes wrong in the remaining 24 months you would get a discount for a new battery on a pro-rata basis.

As you have mentioned 21 months, I assume based on the total warranty you would get a significant discount for a new battery if not a free replacement.


..SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
No, I doubt you'll get a battery replacement free of charge. Your OEM battery probably has a warranty of 12 months. Please check the warranty T&C included with your car. The battery may even have a separate warranty card.

In my experience most OEM batteries are built to a cost and do not last as long as the same after-market part.

Longer warranty is also one of the reasons why an after market battery is more expensive. Given 2 batteries from the same manufacturer and with the same capacity (AH), the longer the warranty the more you pay. The materials used and cost of manufacture are almost the same.

I'd recommend you go in for an Exide or an Amaron low maintenance battery. Remember, the term 'maintenance free' is a misnomer here. These batteries require topping up with distilled water at 1-2 year intervals depending on the use, charging voltage and temperature.
Thanks for your valuable inputs guys. So basically haggled a bit with the dealer and the dealer spoke to Exide and decided to replace the battery free of cost.

I don't know whether I should thank Maruti or Sai Service or Exide or all. Anyways feels good.
subhro1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 17:44   #851
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 763 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
I don't know whether I should thank Maruti or Sai Service or Exide or all. Anyways feels good.
That's a bonus alright. Glad it worked out for you. I think you should thank the dealer first and Exide next
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 12:25   #852
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 354 Times
Smile Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

One word for car Batteries. AMARON ! Lasts really really long, worth every penny you spend on it.

The OEM Exide's that came with my car's never really lasted more than 2.5 years even after I kept it disconnected while not using them much.

But After replacing them with Amaron and using similarly it's lasting more than 7 year's and it's still going strong.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 00:49   #853
BHPian
 
fazonater1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MYS/BLR/TCR/DXB
Posts: 63
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

I got my grand i10 diesel serviced at Hyundai dealer today. The service advisor told me that "the battery report" shows that the battery in my car has to be replaced. He even showed me that report. How does this battery reporting work? BTW the oem battery in my car is exide. I used it for 50k kms and three years. Isn't it too short life time for a battery ? I haven't been experiencing any problems with the current battery. Should I change it as advised by the service advisor or should I just wait. Can I really believe this "battery report"?
fazonater1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 00:57   #854
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,105
Thanked: 12,452 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
The service advisor told me that "the battery report" shows that the battery in my car has to be replaced.
Can you post that copy of battery health report here so we can understand what it is trying to convey?

Best is to get a multimeter and check it yourself to know how the battery is OR go to any battery dealer and ask them to check it in front of you.

Are you facing any issues like delayed cranking, warning lights on cluster?

See this video and do it yourself with a multimeter IMO:

a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 18:52   #855
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 763 Times
Default Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
BTW the oem battery in my car is exide. I used it for 50k kms and three years. Isn't it too short life time for a battery ? I haven't been experiencing any problems with the current battery. Should I change it as advised by the service advisor or should I just wait.
Actually 3 years is quite good for an OEM battery. In our weather conditions expect battery life of about 2-4 years. Actually a battery lasting in excess of 3 years is a bonus. Why do you think battery manufacturers provide replacement warranty up to 3 years and a pro-rata warranty thereafter.

Quote:
Can I really believe this "battery report"?
Yes you can. They use an electronic tester which given the battery's capacity ratings measures the current capacity/CCA and internal resistance of the battery to derive it's overall health. This is a test to caution you of the possibility of impending failure. Changing the battery or not on the basis of this report is your decision. I'd change it if I were you because batteries can sometimes fail at the most inopportune moment and without warning.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th May 2017 at 18:55. Reason: Typo
R2D2 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car battery life - How long did your battery last? shuvc Technical Stuff 842 16th June 2017 10:17
Battery dealer installs 3-wheeler battery in my car!! Now what? Soumyajit9 Technical Stuff 29 19th December 2016 11:06
PICS: SF Sonic Battery Factory. Detailed report on the making of a Car Battery S2!!! Technical Stuff 29 16th April 2016 11:39
Which is the Best Brand of Petrol for your car? arunkumar_rec Technical Stuff 36 29th July 2014 21:29
Battery needs replacement. Which brand? clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 73 23rd December 2011 15:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks