Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th July 2016, 19:14   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Decarbonising - Demystified

While I was at Shell pump to top up diesel in my Skoda Rapid, the attendant asked me if he can check oil level. Since I had done the servicing around 5 months back I mentioned he need not check the oil. But as the bonnet was already open for filling up water for windshield, the attendant took out the oil stick to check the oil level. And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule so this was a shocker.

It seems that during the last service the authorized service center hasn't replaced the engine oil or just topped up. I hardly had done 6000 KM since that servicing. So decided to go for oil change and engine flush considering that oil wasn't changed for a long duration. Shell guys had Abro engine flush, so went ahead with that followed by oil change. Since then I have seen a great improvement in driving. Its much smoother. Lesser engine noise. Off course it could be the cumulative effect of Shell Helix Ultra and Engine flush.
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 21:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilyk View Post
While I was at Shell pump to top up diesel in my Skoda Rapid, the attendant asked me if he can check oil level. Since I had done the servicing around 5 months back I mentioned he need not check the oil. But as the bonnet was already open for filling up water for windshield, the attendant took out the oil stick to check the oil level. And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule so this was a shocker.
Engine oil level should be checked when engine has rested for atlest 20 minutes after a run. A hot engine will always show a low oil level on the dip stick. But glad you found the driving experience better than before, no harm in changing oil before schedule :thumbup:
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 23:53   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And to my surprise the oil was almost touching the min line. Till now I never had to top up oil in between my yearly servicing schedule.
Check oil levels as mentioned in the manual. Most will recommend a minimum cooling period after switching off the engine. This is so that the oil which is circulated in the engine while running flows back to the sump; where the dipstick actually measures the level.
So, it is not a bad idea to check engine oil preferably in the morning before you start your car.
Regards.
saket77 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 16:33   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Engine oil level should be checked when engine has rested for atlest 20 minutes after a run. A hot engine will always show a low oil level on the dip stick. But glad you found the driving experience better than before, no harm in changing oil before schedule :thumbup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Check oil levels as mentioned in the manual. Most will recommend a minimum cooling period after switching off the engine. This is so that the oil which is circulated in the engine while running flows back to the sump; where the dipstick actually measures the level.
So, it is not a bad idea to check engine oil preferably in the morning before you start your car.
Regards.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't change the oil on the same day. After topping up diesel, I went to my work. While leaving for home in the evening, I rechecked the oil level (after almost 8 hours cooling period) and found the level below min mark, so that was alarming. Next day morning drove straight to Shell and got it changed.
sunilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 19:50   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. I didn't change the oil on the same day. After topping up diesel, I went to my work. While leaving for home in the evening, I rechecked the oil level (after almost 8 hours cooling period) and found the level below min mark, so that was alarming. Next day morning drove straight to Shell and got it changed.
That's good to know BUT I would never even start a car whose oil level is below minimum mark, leave alone driving it. You should have topped up the oil and then started it. It may result in irreversible damage and may even turn the engine in scrap.
Regards.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote