Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st July 2015, 17:41   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel engine stalls when the fuel level is low

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So your fuel gauge was showing 1/4 and you could still fill in 42.5 liters? It means your fuel gauge is faulty. Get the float checked.
Sorry for confusion but seems you have mixed up me with thread owner. I never mentioned fuel gauge at all. It was at zero only for sometime.

Now that you have mentioned it, let me ask -is it ok for the fuel gauge to suddenly drop to zero from about 1/8th level? This has been the case with me all through 4 years of owning the Punto?
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:09   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Now that you have mentioned it, let me ask -is it ok for the fuel gauge to suddenly drop to zero from about 1/8th level? This has been the case with me all through 4 years of owning the Punto?
No ways there will be sudden drop in the gauge from anywhere in the marking zones.

Sometimes there are fluctuations in the gauge due to undulations etc but no sudden drop should be observed.

Get the Float and gauge checked once.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No ways there will be sudden drop in the gauge from anywhere in the marking zones.

Sometimes there are fluctuations in the gauge due to undulations etc but no sudden drop should be observed.

The float is a mechanical device while the rest of the system is pure electronic including the resistors at the Fuel Tank Sending unit. Based on the position of the float, the circuit allows/resists the amount of current passed through it to the Fuel guage needle which in turn shows the reading accordingly.

A sudden drop would only mean a malfunctioning sender unit- Could be bad ground, intermittent connections.

All this while there is still a possibility that the float may still be functioning normally but the circuit is not.

I would first check the contact points at the fuel tank area which are more susceptible to damage/wear than the wiring behind the Instrument cluster.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st July 2015 at 18:33.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The float is a mechanical device while the rest of the system is pure electronic including the resistors at the Fuel Tank Sending unit. Based on the position of the float, the circuit allows/resists the amount of current passed through it to the Fuel guage needle which in turn shows the reading accordingly.

A sudden drop would only mean a malfunctioning sender unit- Could be bad ground, intermittent connections.

All this while there is still a possibility that the float may still be functioning normally but the circuit is not.

I would first check the contact points at the fuel tank area which are more susceptible to damage/wear than the wiring behind the Instrument cluster.
Thanks Anurag and Parag: I feel like I have been used to this 'drop' towards last 5-15% of fuel tank across my WagonR, Swift, Current Chevy and Fiat. Will get the current ones checked.
modisan is offline   Reply With Quote