Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th June 2014, 22:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Do I need to change the head gasket?

Reviving an old thread.

Left the car with Dewar's garage (dealer service centre) for 80K service. I asked them to check about the oil mix up in coolant.

As assumed they told me to that it is either oil cooler or head gasket failure.

Got a call from them yesterday that the oil cooler is OK and head gasket needs to be changed. They quoted 30K for that. I was of the opinion that it should not cost more than 10K.

Is it so costly?

Also, I complained the steering to be a bit harder despite a steering box overhaul from a FNG and alignment. They told me that the steering box needs to be replaced and that would cost me 27K.

I was totally shocked hearing the rates!!

I'm going there tomorrow and meet the service manager there as the SA seems not to be very competent.

EDIT:
There is no new problem with the car in the last 15K KM except the engine a bit noisier and steering a bit harder. Oil level seems to be fine (I never had to top up oil in my oil change interval of 6-7K KM).

Last edited by archat68 : 4th June 2014 at 22:07.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 23:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post

Got a call from them yesterday that the oil cooler is OK and head gasket needs to be changed. They quoted 30K for that. I was of the opinion that it should not cost more than 10K.

Is it so costly?

Also, I complained the steering to be a bit harder despite a steering box overhaul from a FNG and alignment. They told me that the steering box needs to be replaced and that would cost me 27K.

Holy Moly! Rs - 30,000 for a head gasket replacement? Are they doing an engine rebuild?

The Head gasket should not cost more than a couple of thousand and add another 1,000 as Labour. You are looking at a sub Rs5,000 Job
Ask them for a break up. I would find some other garage to get this job done.

Other than a slightly hard steering do you have any other problems? Any noise or some kar kar sounds?

Last edited by Captain Slow : 4th June 2014 at 23:44.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 08:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Other than a slightly hard steering do you have any other problems? Any noise or some kar kar sounds?
No noise. There was some noise from suspension and it was sorted out by doing a suspension overhaul in my FNG.

Also, there is no engine oil consumption from the engine, performance is OK, still returns 16KMPL in mostly city drive with 50% AC. All this was explained to SA while handing over the car to them.
Old 5th June 2014, 10:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
No noise.
Since there is no noise, one can rule out PS pump failure. Get the shocker bearings checked/replaced. Should not cost more than 1000 at an FNG

Regarding the head gasket... Dewar's need their collective heads examined. 30K for a head gasket change is day light robbery!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 12:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Since there is no noise, one can rule out PS pump failure. Get the shocker bearings checked/replaced. Should not cost more than 1000 at an FNG

Regarding the head gasket... Dewar's need their collective heads examined. 30K for a head gasket change is day light robbery!
Went to Dewar's. Blasted the service manager and demanded the break up of Rs. 30K. Now they are telling that 30K is cost of head gasket change, oil cooler change, timing chain change, change of the the rockers (hydraulic valves), EGR and intercooler cleaning .

The estimate now seems to be justified.

I asked them how they are certain about that oil cooler is not the problem. They told me that they have given me the estimate for worst case scenario and will first check by changing oil cooler and if oil leak is still there they will change the head gasket.

Also, since it is EPS there is no PS pump. The new steering box for the old model Swift cost 27K and for the new Swift Rs 8900/- . I asked them to grease the steering and leave it.
Old 5th June 2014, 13:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from them yesterday that the oil cooler is OK
Quote:
Went to Dewar's. Blasted the service manager and demanded the break up of Rs. 30K. Now they are telling that 30K is cost of head gasket change, oil cooler change, timing chain change, change of the the rockers (hydraulic valves), EGR and intercooler cleaning
why change it if it's ok?
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 14:28   #22
BHPian

^^ I asked them that how they are sure that oil cooler is OK and head gasket is faulty. They fumbled and it was clear that it was a mere guess. The SA is incompetent.

Spoke to the service manager and he agreed that they haven't checked it and there is no way to check the oil cooler. They will replace it, check if the problem is solved, if not they will go for head gasket.
Old 7th June 2014, 04:18   #23
BHPian

If you can furnish me with some details (year, model and engine size) I may be able to give you a few tips.
Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 09:24   #24
BHPian

Hi,
last night Dad was driving home in our Fabia 1.4 2008 model with 45k on the odo when barely 100 meters from the home the car stopped with a check coolant light. Since it was getting dark and home was less than 100 meters he waited for 5 mins then restarted and came back home.

On inspection we were surprsed to find engine oil sprayed all over from the collant reservior. Gathering from the information avaibale from Tbhp I undestand it looks like a gasket failure.

Asking the gurus to help me out what could be the damage. Skoda is known for its horrible services specially in treating scenarios like these.
Should I get the radiator and oil flushed from a FNG and check if this recurrs before getting the gasket changed ?

what would be the aproximate cost involved?
thanks in advance
adi_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 21:35   #25
BHPian

Help guys, need to take this to the service station tomorrow. Mods , sorry for the back to back posts.
Old 21st August 2014, 21:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Hi,

On inspection we were surprsed to find engine oil sprayed all over from the collant reservior. Gathering from the information avaibale from Tbhp I undestand it looks like a gasket failure.
Is it coolant leakage or engine oil leakage?
Old 21st August 2014, 21:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Is it coolant leakage or engine oil leakage?
Its the engine oil leaking from the coolant reservoir.
Old 1st March 2015, 17:44   #28
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Can someone post a photo of sludge in engine oil so that we can gauge the problem beforehand and take necessary precautions? Mostly you will never get the chocolate milk shake color in engine oil until it is too late viz - a cracked cylinder head perhaps.

I am posting a photo that I have downloaded from the internet.

I shall post the actual photos in my car tomorrow.

Courtesy-TheAutomotiveIndia.com
Attached Images

Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Let me ask another question. Is there foam in the oil?
If in doubt do an engine compression test.
Can I take my 800 to any MASS Dealer workshop and ask them to do the compression test? No there are no signs of foam in oil. Just a thin layer of oil floating on the coolant surface.
How much do they charge for a compression test?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Guys its not that difficult, if the oil is foamed up OR coolant has floating sludge, then only there is a serious issue. Anyone can check this by opening the coolant tank reservoir when the engine is cold, or by just checking the engine oil consistency using the dip stick, again when the engine is cold.
Hello Mr. Jaggu,
Can you post a photo so that we can confirm the presence of oil in coolant? What is sludge? Sorry, forgive my ignorance about such basic terms. Is it the thin layer of oil floating on the surface of coolant?
There are no other signs-no foam on engine oil, small air bubbles rise up the radiator cap for 1-2 seconds after starting but after 1 minute there are absolutely zero air bubbles. I have not risked opening the radiator cap for more than 1 minute for the fear of invoking a manmade coolant volcano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hi Friends,
Can someone post a photo of sludge in engine oil so that we can gauge the problem beforehand and take necessary precautions? Mostly you will never get the chocolate milk shake color in engine oil until it is too late viz - a cracked cylinder head perhaps.

I am posting a photo that I have downloaded from the internet.

I shall post the actual photos in my car tomorrow.

Courtesy-TheAutomotiveIndia.com
Sorry I do not know how but I missed the Team BHP owners logo on this photo. I would like to thank the owner for this photo. If not exactly, somewhat similar oil layer was seen floating on the coolant surface in my 800. Can someone advise me what to do?
Thanks in advance,
Ashok.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd March 2015 at 08:49. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 10:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

When the engine is sufficiently cooled (for safety), open the radiator cap and look for oil traces.
Oil in coolant is definitely an issue. But if there is no ingress of coolant in engine oil, ascertained by signs of foam, the present stage is not very serious and attending the same would be a lot cheaper. Perhaps a conked head gasket need to be replaced.

Taking the car toa MASS is fine but be beware, they may try to squeeze you by forcing you to get a lot of work done. So consider taking the car to a reliable garage, instead.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th March 2015 at 10:20.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote