Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th April 2006, 22:46   #31
BHPian

Default Anybody done grooving on engine head?

Is there any one who has done grooves in engine head as per theory of Mr.Somender Singh?..........

Can any one advise ....if to increase engine compression ..head to be milled but how much?...1mm ..2 mm.....Is it to be milled along entire surface or only at specific surfaces? I m having 95 esteem & is interested in this theory.

Enjoy........
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 23:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Hey guys,

I had a RX135 which was done-up by Singh before. He's just great with Yams! My bike had an FE of 50 Kmpl (Yezdi tyres & rim, KRP chamber, modded piston and crankshaft) with a top speed of 130 kmph! He's also done a great job with my friend's Zen too.

Since I visit Mysore quite often, I can go down to his workshop some day and try to get some pics and more details.

~Sonic
Hey what was the difference in FE that your friend got out of his Zen.
Is it an MPFI or carb?
Also any update on the pics from his workshop.
With petrol costing me a fortune this seems to be worth trying out.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 12:05   #33
BHPian

I need someone to tell me if they have done these grooves in a 16 valve zen. & if so a schematic diagram would be highly appriciated.
Any one in bombay who does this work on cars Pls PM Me.
Old 25th April 2006, 14:13   #34
BHPian

Guys,

if the piston is modified as per singh's idea i believe our car car warranty would get void.....am i right?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 22:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
anybody knows Singhs patent number? If yes we can search it one patent directory from where we can get to know what exactly he is doing...
US patent (No. 6237579) for the design.
Garuda R&D,
Hyder Ali Road, Opp. Chamundivihar Stadium,
Nazarbad, Mysore-570 010
Also any google search will throw up a lot of data on this topic.

I am bit confused if i make a groove inside the combustion chamber the volume inside will increase, so how will the Fe increase then?
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:29   #36
BHPian

Default My Test Drive in finetunings car

Dear Team Bhpians,
I was so intrigued by this post that I called up Mr Somender Singh in Mysore. He said that I should check out the mods done by Finetuning. So accordingly I got in touch with him & I had the privilege of Driving finetuning’s 1995 esteem on Saturday evening,
His car is fitted with a K&N filter & Freeflow from Automech, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.
He has done the grooves as per Somender Singhs on his own & added Acetone in the ratio of 2.5ml per litre petrol
I am not that technically qualified but I will present the following lay man’s observations.
1) Very little vibrations from the engine while idling
2) Engine temperature as per Gauge is only at 30% instead of the normal 50%
3) Exhaust air was cold
4) Very quick acceleration & The car is very peppy.
I must say that these mods done by finetuning are no doubt radical but do generate astonishing results.
Finetuning Thanks again for the Drive & the inputs from your end I will be doing the same on my car very shortly.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 3rd May 2006 at 20:32.
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajalphonso
Dear Team Bhpians,
I was so intrigued by this post that I called up Mr Somender Singh in Mysore. He said that I should check out the mods done by Finetuning. So accordingly I got in touch with him & I had the privilege of Driving finetuningís 1995 esteem on Saturday evening,
His car is fitted with a K&N filter & Freeflow from Automech, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.
He has done the grooves as per Somender Singhs on his own & added Acetone in the ratio of 2.5ml per litre petrol
I am not that technically qualified but I will present the following lay manís observations.
1) Very little vibrations from the engine while idling
2) Engine temperature as per Gauge is only at 30% instead of the normal 50%
3) Exhaust air was cold
4) Very quick acceleration & The car is very peppy.
I must say that these mods done by finetuning are no doubt radical but do generate astonishing results.
Finetuning Thanks again for the Drive & the inputs from your end I will be doing the same on my car very shortly.
hey, whats the FE improvement after the grooving
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 13:49   #38
BHPian

Default My Grooving Experience in Esteem

Dear All,
After waiting for almost a week to check various data.....I wish to share my grooving experience with u all....

After studying the groove theory repeatedly I came to conclusion that this is the mode I was looking for.....I was so much impressed with the merits of this mode(rather Invention by our own Indian Brother Respected Somender Singh) that I started looking at every possible manner to implement it aeap.I was in touch with Mr Singh for his instruction as i decided to do it of my own...ofcourse with the help of my expert mechaic.....

I will in short pass on grooving theory.it stats that no engine has efficient combustion inside chamber.till now whatever modification done were outside engine...like more valves....more cylinder...cam timings...plugs...exhausts...& so on....no body dared to modify an IC engine from inside.Its the effort of Mr Singh(US patent no..)who made it possible with very very simple yet extremly effective changes in head of engine.With groove there is efficient combustion which traslate into more power at increasd mileage.There is no unburnt fuel hence no wastage.

With total technical know how I started work...Head opened....it was cleaned...then surface of the head was shaved by 1 mm...to increase the compression ration from 9:1 to 10:1.......at machine shop with special head finishing machine...this job is to be done very accuratly...as slight more facing of head not allowed....only required amount of facing is to be done....then with help of new head gasket...I marked the boundaries.....then marked the groove on metal head surface....with 10cm small triangular file....

I made clear ponits what to be done for grooving as head is to be opened.I made groove myself pointing towards plug ares not more then 75% deep towards gasket marking.Changed engine oil & timing belt too.Its a must.

When tested my car....I was so much thrilled with excitement...its totally changed.Power is being increased by at least 30%......my engine temp is only showing 35% instead of 50% earlier.....mileage not yet checked but its on rising side......car now gives 12 kmpl in LPG gas......in petrol mode its a racingh car now......from 20 in 3rd gear to 80 is fun........

I advise members to stdy somendr singhs novel invention.

Enjoy.........
Old 4th May 2006, 21:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Finetuning, I appreciate your effort highly. Well, its not so great to see an invention of this magnitude is going unnoticed...

Could you test your car with a gtech pro or other timing device to see how much of gains you actualy have extracted and also "What are your observations on the top end part of power??" Has the top end increased, decreased or stayed where it was?? What was the reason behind adding that dose of acetone??
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 23:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
What was the reason behind adding that dose of acetone??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ne-petrol.html (My Experience With Adding Acetone in Petrol)

Please refer to this post on the acetone Fundas
Old 12th May 2006, 21:08   #41
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
Almost 40dys passed since my grooving head.........its being a wonderful transformation to my loved esteem......I now love my car so deeply for its tremendous power....pick up...not to forget my gr8 mileage figures......car is extremly torquyafer the grooves.......I can go from 15 to 80 in 3rd gear so fast...without any hesitation.....in very short stretch was able to touch 100 in mumbai city which was not possible in past......so my car is having very good acceleration.......I m adding acetone regularly getting more power pick up with groovy head.....its wonderful......

I advise members to try groovesin their cars.......its so simple....u only need a good mechanics support.......just open the head....shave the surface.....there is calculation for it.....then make groove with triangular file pointing towards plug area.......change the timimg belt...clean valves.......fix the head......thats all...........................

feel the increased power........I encourage the members to go for this.....

visit the site...www.somender-singh.com.....

Enjoy.......
Old 18th May 2006, 14:15   #42
BHPian

Default My Grooved Esteem FE is 14.5 Kmpl

Dear BHPians,

I would like to share my gain in FE after groovign the engine head ...a Somender Singh Invention.......is whooping 15 kmpl in city traffic without A/C.

My car returned 650km per full tank of 45 kg......only 60 km run was on highway......its such a fantastic mileage.....I expect to get nearly 800 to 850 km in total highway driving......that will translate into 18 to 19 kmpl with lpg gas as fuel.....my cost of running is already very low....cost of lpg is Rs 23/...so per Km cost is 23/14.5=1.58 only.............also tere is no power loss driving with lpg as ppl think...infact car runs very smooth in lpg that we love to drive.....there is always the difference between petrol mode and lpg mode...due to the property of fuel........

I encourage members to go for grooves in engine head.......its such a wonderful modification.....tell me which mods can give such good result with leat spent money.....my engine compression is 10:1.....which gives very good power....

Also wonderful ACETONE is used i petrol in the ratio of 2.5 ml per liter in petrol which also boosts power and economy......

Enjoy......

Last edited by finetuning : 18th May 2006 at 14:17.
Old 18th May 2006, 14:24   #43
DRC
BHPian

We all now know about the modification you have done, It is being discussed in an other thread.
Do we need one more thread for the same subject?

Mods, Please do the needful..
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 14:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
We all now know about the modification you have done, It is being discussed in an other thread.
Do we need one more thread for the same subject?

Mods, Please do the needful..
ok.Thanks for reminding me.Infact I must had posted this in relevent thread....I was so much overwhelmed by gain.....

Enjoy....
Old 18th May 2006, 15:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi finetuning, I have a question if each of these mods could add up to give you good power and milage, couldnt there be other ways to get it too... You have at multiple occasions tried getting better milage out of your vehicle and have tried every possible aspect however, I have a few questions:

1) Acetone tends to clean out all carbon deposits and dirt from the fuel lines and the valves, how long do you think that benefit is going to last?

2) Yes the groove is a good approach provided you understand flame fronts and are able to make the groove to propogate it in the direction where the flame is not efficient, hence a random groove will not work

3) LPG is a great option but it tends to wear out your piston rings due to a lack of lubrication

4) Had it been petrol wouldnt it have been easier to underjet, or reduce the amount of LPG being flowed to get a better milage and just increase compression?

Do realize that there are ways of increasing efficiency of the engine and yes they work provided they are done in the right way, not everyone can just decide to go ahead and open up their engine and get it right the first time.

And yes great work done but can you please stop repeating yourself in every post.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote