Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th August 2013, 15:41   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
But this long tour has just heiglighted some other nuances in terms of a squeak coming from the dashboard from somewhere near the instrument console and a rattle from the rear of the car and the fact that the rear wiper blade makes screeching noises on being used
Reliability is in doubt for sure at the moment.
Quote:
Also once speeds touch 120 the steering as well as the car starts shuddering and keeps doing it at all speeds after 120 guess the balancing is out for sure.

These are exactly the issues that I was facing with my 5 year old Scorpio that I recently sold in order to book my RX7 (no major problems / niggles with my Scorpio otherwise). I was hoping that I will encounter a super smooth "upmarket" driving experience and can forget those little irritants forever!!
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 17:31   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Ahh so I guess I really need to start an ownership thread the way things are going.
Done 5000kms now including a 900km return trip. The car drives like a dream on the Yamuna expressway. Just keeps pulling and pulling. The cruise control works like a charm and i did manage touching 180km/hr with ease. I know it's dangerous but I just had the itch to try it for a bit. Though the high speeds did bring to the front the problem with the vibrations and alignment too. The steering is tilted towards the left and so the car steers towards the left but if you bring the steering towards the Center the car starts pulling to the right. Also once speeds touch 120 the steering as well as the car starts shuddering and keeps doing it at all speeds after 120 guess the balancing is out for sure. The funny part is it starts as soon as you touch 120 no sign of it before that.

The average the rx7 is giving is a consistent 7-8km/ltr in the city and 9 on the highway which does seem a little less the slow gearbox seems to be the culprit.

The circulation mode does leave a lot to be desired but in the re-circulation mode thankfully there isn't an issue and infact the blower flow increases quite a bit on switching to the re-circulation mode.
Thanks for the updates.

Yes, wheel balancing, alignment should be the culprit and it should be no big deal to fix - happens periodically with my Tucson so I keep rotating tires and get alignment/balancing redone. Our roads are pathetic so this is a problem for frequent highway drivers like us.

Yes air flow increases in recirculation mode - I have seen this in all vehicles that I have sat in.

How are the headlights? Good?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 09:45   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Yes, wheel balancing, alignment should be the culprit and it should be no big deal to fix - happens periodically with my Tucson so I keep rotating tires and get alignment/balancing redone. Our roads are pathetic so this is a problem for frequent highway drivers like us.
Everyone,is this a common occurence with SUVs?Aren't SUVs supposed to be handling terrain rougher than the worst highways that we have in India ( yes including you,kuthiran)?
Because I remember the Tata Safari's quality was being blamed for the same frequent misalignments,not the road.
Any SUV owners who regularly do offroading,please do enlighten me.
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 09:59   #139
Team-BHP Support

Fresh set of issues in my Friend's Rexton-

-Audio System screen has started displaying only in Blue color.
-Bluetooth Mic does not work.
-This car has spent weeks(in total) in the workshop to get the Outside smell issue sorted, the workshop team has worked on it several times, the issue remains as it was on day one.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 16:39   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Thanks for the updates.

Yes air flow increases in recirculation mode - I have seen this in all vehicles that I have sat in.

How are the headlights? Good?
The headlights are just about adequate for the highway. Would have expected them to be much brighter though considering the xenon headlamps.
The worst is the fact that workshops aren't yet updated to look after the rextons. They do not have the data for alignment and balancing and at the moment they've just rotated the tyres and told me they'll do the balancing and alignment once they have the data preferably in time for my first service!! Have informed them that incase by then my tyres too face wear ill need replacement of the tyres but I guess it's an empty threat since I don't think the after sales service is concerned about it.
Have mostly driven on good highways on which none of my saloons have ever gone and had their alignment put off yet so I doubt the road condition is the reason.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 12:04   #141
BHPian

So the rexton is now approaching 10k kms and due now for its first service soon enough. Lets see how much it sets me back by.
Apart from the previous issues nothing new has come up yet (touchwood) apart from a little rattling noise from here and there on driving on bad roads but then its to be expected as roads here in Kanpur are a joke. There are more pot holes than roads and the rains have made the condition worse. On an average my civic scrapes atleast twice in a day inevitably
Any updates about your friends rexton anshuman?
I guess team bhp should test drive a rexton too and put it through its paces. Its one car which has no reviews which is sad because i still feel its a under appreciated car.
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 00:51   #142
BHPian

The rexton is back from its first service and iv been charged rs.3800 for the same. This seems pretty decent to me and pick up and drop facility were provided so no hassles at all.
The car came in late so haven't had a chance to check whether work on the alignment has been done or not. Will take it for a spin tomorrow else am planning on a longish tour day after so all will be laid bare anyhow.
I wonder how come the other rexton in the thread was charged so much in their first service. Hope I haven't been shortchanged by some essential parts not being replaced as per service requirement. I did see the oil filter and engine oil change in the bill apart from regular stuff like top up of windshield washer fluid.
Will update the cars position soon once I go into the detailed analysis. Wanted to take the car personally for servicing but unfortunately was too tied up with work.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:51   #143
BHPian

The morning brought out some shocking surprises. The interior of the car was a mess with dirty hand stains all over the seats and headrests. This after removing the very clean paper covers which were in place on the delivery of the car apparently the ASS uses the covers after the damage has been done. The engine oil on being checked appears black.
Called the head of the service Center and blasted him who promptly sent a team and they cleaned the car in my own premises. Don't know about the engine oil though since the mechanic who came with the team swears on it being changed and there are empty cans left at the back.
Also a scratch on the bonnet which was not there previously. Have taken pictures of the interiors and mailed them to the customer care too lets see how Mahindra responds to that.
All in all very poor after sales service!!
Old 11th September 2013, 17:29   #144
BHPian

Quote:
The morning brought out some shocking surprises. The interior of the car was a mess with dirty hand stains all over the seats and headrests. This after removing the very clean paper covers which were in place on the delivery of the car apparently the ASS uses the covers after the damage has been done. !
Unforgivable.I mean,I'm finding it hard to believe that an ASS would dare to do this to a highend car
Quote:
The The engine oil on being checked appears black!
A diesel engines oil color turns black very soon,also the remanants of the previous oil would contribute to the coloration.As long as you have a printed bill for the oil,no choice but to trust him.
So sad to hear this about M&M service.
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 00:57   #145
BHPian

Well I guess ill have to learn to live with it. Just finished the first leg of my driving trip in which iv covered around 700 Kms including the awesome Yamuna expressway.
The horn is acting up and sadly instead of repeated reminders mails and personal follow ups the alignment issue hasn't been resolved even now.
Even the Mahindra management is now acting up. Probably too nagged by me and the only reply to my mail was that the concerned person is on leave and the customer care has chosen to remain quiet with no reply at all. I guess iv bitten off more than I can chew this time round by picking this premium offering from mahindra over the fortuner.
I somehow feel I got way better service with the Scorpio or maybe the vehicle itself was so hard wearing that it covered up mistakes of the service centres. Had two previously both of which were driven 110k and 90k with no hassle at all and even continued wearing original shoes till they were replaced. Infact the buyer for the last one asked me how new the tyres were and was fairly surprised when I told him they were the originals and he rechecked the odometer. Lol
Old 14th September 2013, 07:48   #146
BHPian

The problem with all these high end vehicles in India is that unlike in developed countries there are hardly any qualified mechanics to service them. With the majority of mechanics available in India (who probably learnt their basic skills on a Matador or Tempo), they are likely to experiment on your vehicle. Also, I have observed a tinge of jealousy with them because many of them just cannot afford a car (which is very sad, of course) and they end up venting their frustration on your vehicle.

In a nutshell, while your vehicle is great, I would not take the risk and spend money for high end imported vehicles in India (believe me I love them as much as you do!) because of the lack of service support from the A.S.S. It is better to stick to your standard Marutis and Hyundais - serviceable and minimal risk from mechanics and A.S.S.. Its just too much of heartache when you see such a beautiful vehicle abused by the A.S.S staff.
motorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 23:45   #147
BHPian

The most recent update is that the customer care does take notice of us rare rexton breed of owners! The dealership has been taken to task and the gm service been asked to explain the shortcomings! I was sent the follow up mails between the area manager Mahindra and the dealership!
The horn has been rectified and so has the alignment. This time round the car was picked up and returned after a very nice clean wash and they even used some perfume for the interiors though that is uncalled for and removed the new car smell from my car!! Still effort from there side I guess! Now I just have to being up my confidence In them to replace the windscreen and hope that by replacing the sensor the auto wiper function does not start acting up! Wonder whether I should live with the small crack in the windscreen or get it replaced! Or would insisting on a technician from Mahindra to come down for the same be a little too much!! I'm in a bad dilemma! Any suggestion guys?? I think I'm being extra paranoid now!! And had these issues cropped up in any other car I would never have escalated them so much??its like my ears are attuned to any niggle that creeps up!!
Old 20th November 2013, 12:12   #148
BHPian

So the Rexton now completes 16.5k kms. Just got back from a Knp-Del-Knp-Jaipur-Knp tour of over 2k kms over a period of two weeks. I must say its a real wonderful highway cruiser. Just FYI the engine revs at just 2300-2700 rpm at speeds of 150km/hr. Now thats what a five cylinder is all about
The only issue unresolved as of now is the balancing and alignment though i have now contacted an independent shop to get the same checked at even though there is no uneven tyre wear yet.
The best parts about the car are its comfortable seats, great suspension and the awesome noise insulation. Apart from the sound of the turbo once cruising speeds are reached there is absolutely no engine or tyre noise in the cabin.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:58   #149
BHPian

The rexton just got back from its 20k service. Amount charged was around 13k which includes synthetic oil change and front brake pads change. All filters were replaced apart from the diesel filter which was not in stock. Had got alignment and balancing done from an independent place and had found the weights put in earlier to be wrong. Needless to say the vehicle was driving exceptionally well with no wobbling at high speeds etc.
I have people including lots of fortuner owners being mightily impressed with the back seat comfort and makes me feel proud of being a rare owner of this car.
Apart from that no issue as yet but now the right hand side view mirror is finally loose and moves around a bit on braking and accelerating. Though nothing I can't live with.
The seats and doors were all tightened and the cabin is as refined as before apart from a nagging sound at only a particular time while accelerating from the dashboard which has not been able to be diagnosed. But again only the driver can hear it and it isn't a regular noise so I can live with it.
Had a minor bump in with an xuv the other day though. He was ahead of me and braked suddenly and I couldn't stop on time. Ended up rear ending him though luckily we were at a very slow speed to begin with. The bull bar on my rexton came into play and saved the bumper though it now as good as kisses the bumper. The xuv though had a small bump on its fender.
Any news of other rextons on the forum???
Old 6th March 2014, 01:34   #150
BHPian

So the rexton has completed 25k Kms now. There are rattles and squeaks evident now but it has to be expected especially since I just got back from a 600 Kms trip on some of the worst roads ever. Even managed bottoming out the rexton at one point when I had to take a detour due to a jam through some godforsaken patch of land.
The alignment is again acting up and it has been the only Achilles heel in the experience till now since it's never been perfect right from the start. The horn too is acting up inspite of being replaced once already under warranty.
Any updates on any new rexton owners??