Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th February 2017, 12:52   #211
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Ahh well... he did have a forgettable experience with his car. I'm sure he's a happy man though i doubt he would be happy with the amount he must have received for his car. Wonder how the resale is because i haven't found any takers for it here.
My friend got himself a Isuzu V-Cross, and he is a happy man now.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 12:21   #212
BHPian

Default Re: Engine trouble in Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton EDIT: Turbo replaced under warranty

99300 kms update.

The car is now nearing the lac kilometre mark. The usual niggles remain such as the rear seat bench noise and the vacuum modulator noise. Apart from that no fresh issues. The only other highlight now has been the mrf wandered that i had got replaced. As has been mentioned in my previous posts one of the tyres had developed a cut which was replaced by MRF. Now surprisingly two more tyres developed the similar cuts on the inner sidewall. This time round i wrote a mail to MRF and though i didn't get a reply immediately they gave me a call after around 10 days asking me to visit their outlet as a technical person had come for a visit from the company and wanted to see the issue first hand. Ofcourse it took even MRF 15-20 days to procure the size and tyre as the company i don't think manufactures this size anymore and they thus sent tyres which were available with a dealer somewhere.

So all in all it qualified as a manufacturing defect and two more tyres have been replaced. I'm back to having 3 new tyres in the car. The first tyre replacement cost me Rs.1800 and now these two tyres have been replaced for Rs.3700 based on the tread depth calculation.

Since the car is still driving fine and i'm sure the minor niggles will for a time go away post the upcoming service i'm planning on using it as much as i can especially since i find no takers at all even on team-bhp classifieds and thus if i change it it'll go through a broker and never manage finding a car enthusiast who values what a capable machine it really is, so i'll go the whole hog and see this car through atleast till the time its warranty is valid.
rugsrags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 16:08   #213
BHPian

99600 kms update
The car has just gone for its 1lac kilometre service. The general manager for service being out the car was given to the usual run of the mill SA who i think are trained to exploit. Got a call from the SA saying that front brake discs and pads need to be replaced, Air filter clips are broken (as if i would be playing with the air filter and broke them while doing so) and apart from that everything else is fine. I calmly called the general manager up who apologised for not being there and said he's just reaching the workshop and will call back. Now he's been dealing with me for a while now and knows i know about my car. He calls back and says he's checked the discs are fine only the pads need to be replaced and please forget about the air filter clips and that it was a mistake on their part that instructions weren't given on who would be taking charge of my car for service. Incase he had not called i already had a mail written and waiting to be sent to the customer care but then refrained since my issues were addressed. I just wonder what they do to unsuspecting customers who dont know about cars. Replacing discs as if they are brake pads!!! It is completely criminal!

Anyway they've again replaced the vacuum modulator. Iv lost count of how many times that's happened. Lets see how long it holds out this time and they've sorted out the rear seat noise. 1 lac kilometres service bill including change of front brake pads is Rs.18500 inclusive taxes.
rugsrags is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:25   #214
BHPian

100300 kms update
The Vacumn modulator noise which was replaced and wasn't acting up has resurfaced again!!! Wow!!
In other news went for a 200 kms drive yesterday and realised that the turbo charger is sounding way louder than before. One can hear it spooling really loudly. Guess will take the car personally to the workshop to get checked whether they've done any service to the turbocharger yet or is it even required because frankly last time i'd complained about an increase in engine noise nobody at the workshop could understand it since all day they're anyway working mostly on Boleros!!
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:07   #215
BHPian

102000kms update.
The car visited its second home again regarding the vacuum and engine noise. Vacuum modulator replaced again and sound returned after 2 days again. The only silver lining is the fact that this time the workshop on its own informed me that mahindra has issued a recall and modified the modulator which has been ordered from the company already and once in will be replaced. In the meanwhile they replaced it which lasted only 2 days!
Apparently the engine noise is there because of the vacuum modulator being kaput. Once it will be sorted it is expected that the engine noise will go down too. Apart from that just got back from a 1200 km trip to delhi via the new lucknow expressway which connects to the yamuna expressway and all i can say is that it didn't feel like driving in india anymore. The car performed flawlessly inspite of being driven continuously with the cruise control set. Since i was travelling with family (My mother expressly likes the rexton due to its high seating, ample space and good view all around and always prefers her highway trips in the rexton over my skoda or bmw!) and with a trunk full of luggage i decided to take it easy and go at the speed limit even though at 100km/hr it felt like we were crawling through the vast empty stretches of tarmac!
Old 12th August 2017, 13:05   #216
BHPian

107000 kms update
The car has had an unscheduled stopover at the workshop this time round. There was a slight creaking sound coming from the engine bay. The car is in the workshop for the same along with tightening of bolts and seats etc. Also the key battery has gone dead and i have misplaced my duplicate key so ordered a duplicate key from the company too. Its been 2 days now and apparently some wear and tear component which is anyway supposed to be replaced between 90k-110k was the culprit.
Apart from that i don't think there is any other issue. The vacuum modulator is working fine since the last change where a modified one was put in place.
The only thing now is that an itch to replace the car is growing only because of a mental blockade of being in a car which has covered the 1 lac milestone. The heart says to pick a new car the mind says that even with so many kms driven why go for a new car especially since warranty is still available and there has been no issue at all regarding the reliability of the car. The fact that there have been no queries or takers even on being listed on team-bhp classifieds is another damper though seeing the on road price its a bargain to pick this one up at around 60% off the new car price. Went to check out the new Fortuner and Innova yesterday and surprisingly preferred the interiors of the Innova over the Fortuner and the Rexton feels way more spacious than the Fortuner! It is also easier to get in and out from the Rexton rather than climbing in and out of the Fortuner and Endeavour. Inspite of which the rexton still claims to have the maximum ground clearance!

Mods: I think we should rename this thread now, since i seem to have hijacked it in any case with a longish long term review of the Rexton