Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th May 2006, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Default Sound levels from Palio AC vent (fan)

I test drove both 1.2 and 1.6 versions. In both I found the engine sound pretty acceptable. As against this, the sound of the AC vent (i.e the blower/fan) is much too high (even at speeds of 1 and 2). Its as though a mini storm is blowing (gushhhhhhhh..... sort). I have found AC's in Maruti cars to be very silent in comparison.

Do Palio owners/ experts feel the same?

Is there a solution for this? Any fixes which can muffle the sound without affecting the cooling?

Also, the AC in Palio is weaker than a Swift (one of the very few points where it scores lower tha the Maruti vehicle). Does it get too hot in Palio (1.2 or 1.6) on a hot summer day afternoon? My test drives were in the evening and I had to keep the temp setting on max and fan on at least 2 to get decent comfort (not chill).

Am I missing some trick here?

Sachin

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd May 2006 at 12:45.
sachinchavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 16:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

palio's fan is very noisy but it makes the ac a chiller,and only the blower fan but also the radiator fan spoils the experience,i was really impressed by the blower sound of the matiz which was silent yet powerful,i doubt whether anything can be done to reduce the blower noise in palio that more concerned with the shape of the ac grille and ducts.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Seems to be an issue. What do the Palio lovers have to say? Have they figured out a fix for this? Please share, guys!
Old 20th May 2006, 18:20   #4
BHPian

The only way to fix this problem is to turn the stereo volume up! It is a problem on all Palio's but it doesnt bother me. You get used to it and then you have the stereo .
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 18:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

The things with any kind of sound is that they are very subjective. Some people like quiet interiors some are okay with a bit of fan noise. I found the blower noise at max setting very loud but at lower settings I felt the noise was not that loud as it's being said here. And I, personally, love the humming sound of the fan. Can't pinpoint why but i just love it. Even my girl friend loves the loud humming sound especially after the engine is switched off.

Quote:
the aircon is not as good as compared to other cars in its segment.
I differ with that pioneer. The AC in my S10 is a real chiller. There are times when I have had to run the blower at speed 0 in may/june early evenings.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes the ac is good if not the best in its class.... if i remember correctly Palio has one the largest AC compressor in its class.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sachin, I have never felt the sound of blower, though I keep it at speed 1 or 2. Also, the AC is quite powerful & chills the cabin in no time!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 10:17   #8
BHPian

So, it seems the sound level is comparatively higher, but the tolerance of it is subjective. And may be most get used to it after a while (like we do to most other things in life).

What I am looking for is any quick-fix or solution to muffle the sound (apart from increasing the stereo volume... I am into mellow music). Any modifications to the blower by anybody?

Sachin
Old 21st May 2006, 10:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan
What I am looking for is any quick-fix or solution to muffle the sound (apart from increasing the stereo volume... I am into mellow music).
If you do find a quick-fix solution, do let me know as well.. because even my car has a VERY loud blower sound (specially in the highest speed)..

BTW, i know from personal experience, AC of Palio is Superb. Even at the rear, you feel the chill within minutes. The best A/C in a small car for sure.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 11:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
If you do find a quick-fix solution, do let me know as well.. because even my car has a VERY loud blower sound (specially in the highest speed)..
What i tend to do is use the high blower setting only initially to rapidly cool down the car, and then switch over to 1 or 2 for the rest of the ride. But if you are driving short distances, this cant solve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
BTW, i know from personal experience, AC of Palio is Superb. Even at the rear, you feel the chill within minutes. The best A/C in a small car for sure.
I can vouch for that as well, never found any issues with the cooling of Palio. Though I find the Santro AC is a notch better than that, but then, the car becomes sluggish when you turn it on. No such issues with the Palio.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 22:54   #11
BHPian

Palio cooling being low is the first that I have heard. Palio happens to have a 1.3 ton air con for the car. I am talking of the 1.6 sport and is capable of creating a shiver in minutes.

AC noise is more judgmental as if the air flow is high which is the case with the car, there is noise which has to be too. Most other vehicles don't have high air flows as the Palio does thus the noise level is lower. So its between cooling comfort and lower noise. I choose the first one.
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:14   #12
BANNED

Hey, I too totally dis agree with the point made that the Palio AC is not a chiller !! The 1.6 definitely has an AC that chills the car pretty quickly even on a hot sunny day ... it does make a slight noise but u get used to it or else go put in a nice free flow and after that you will not hear anuything besides the sound emitted from the free flow !!!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

The fan is pretty noisy in Palio, especially after the '2' position.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Inputs from Petra 1.6 owner:
  • The a/c is definitely very good. No issues with that. Just last week, compared it with a friend's brand new Ford Ikon flair. Definitely better than that.
  • Blower noise is high at 3 and 4. Not noisy at 1 and 2. If it is noisy, I suspect some problem. Even at 3, it is louder, but not noisy. (But, this is subjective.). At 4, it is loud/noisy.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote