Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th April 2013, 11:47   #1

Default Renault Pulse: Engine Start/Stop problem after car wash

Hi all,
I faced a new problem in my Renault pulse after a very good car wash.
My car did not stop after pressing "Engine START/STOP" Button.
So I jumped in 1st gear and stop the engine, now new problem arised my key is not working properly my doors are now locking I got a yellow key light blinking in the dash.
I called the Renault service centre he asked me to remove the wire from the battery and keep the car like that till the engineer comes to my home.
Finally the Engineer came to my home (next day) and just attached the battery wire which I removed and blew some air in the Fuse box area. Finally while going he told me while doing water wash "Kindly donít spray water under the hood as water may get into the fuse box and you will face the same problemĒ.

"Even during the service they donít spray water under the hood for this problem"
san_jayd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Renault Pulse: Engine Start/Stop problem after car wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_jayd View Post
Kindly don’t spray water under the hood as water may get into the fuse box and you will face the same problem
I NEVER spray water under the hood. Modern cars have way too many electronics that can get completely messed up. After all, water will find its way through anywhere.

Do it the old-fashioned "rag" way

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2013 at 13:49.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even if you do wash under the hood make it a point to idle the car for 5 mins after the wash so that the heat from the engine will evaporate most of the water from the critical parts!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 16:11   #4
BHPian

Clean under the hood, but use a couple of rags, and finish with a 3m type of cloth.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I NEVER spray water under the hood. Modern cars have way too many electronics that can get completely messed up. After all, water will find its way through anywhere.

Do it the old-fashioned "rag" way
They have spray washed my electronically laden Superb at least twice at the ASC under the hood. Going without issues since last 12 months. Most cars from the Toyota to the Skoda to the Hyundai's that I own are always spray washed under the hood at the ASC's as a general practice. Your recommendation is news to me and I do rely on your recommendation frequently. Do I need to be worried?
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I NEVER spray water under the hood. Modern cars have way too many electronics that can get completely messed up.
All modern cars are tested for water splashes and sprays since they might occur during normal usage as well and also have a certain amount of wading depth tested.
While high pressure washing of the engine is certainly NOT recommended, low pressure hoses are used by all ASCs and other local service centres for all cars and bikes.

While your way of doing it is the safest, this incident seems to be a one off case where the water hit the bull's eye..!!
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 18:31   #7
BHPian

I have never washed any car under the hood without taking precautions.

Never spray near the fuse area , connectors or thin hoses. And helps to blast air after the spray wash. Some cars are very allergic to this wash some cars as ok with this.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
All modern cars are tested for water splashes and sprays since they might occur during normal usage as well and also have a certain amount of wading depth tested.
While high pressure washing of the engine is certainly NOT recommended, low pressure hoses are used by all ASCs and other local service centres for all cars and bikes.
Very true, as per the service center. They do not recommend high pressure wash, but after most service I find the engine bay clean - I guess they just splashes water at low pressure. But to be absolutely sure, we can avoid watering the engine bay. How does the 3M service center guys do it?

EDIT: Dug up a few horror stories on the forum itself regarding the topic -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-ecu-dead.html (fiat sienna-water wash -ecu dead)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ower-wash.html (ECU busted! please be careful before going for a power wash!)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-wash.html (Alto powerless after Engine wash)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ater-wash.html (Engine shudders after water wash)

I got the engine bay washed from outside last time for the Baleno and was thinking to continue the same - i.e, no engine washing by self. And now, opinion changed - no engine wash unless it is the authorized service center doing it.

Quote:
I faced a new problem in my Renault pulse after a very good car wash.
Anyway, thanks san_jayd for sharing with us that such an issue exist regarding the fuse box for the Pulse. Guess the same is applicable to the Micra and may be many other cars too that may have poorly designed fuse box cover.

One question though. Where did you give the car for the good wash? I guess you gave it outside the ASC or did it yourselves?

Last edited by thoma : 18th April 2013 at 23:54.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:47   #9
BHPian

While servicing our A-Star I have also seen the washing guys spraying high pressure water in the engine bay. They did not even plug the air intake manifold. The MASS always wash this way. But, touchwood no problems till date. They do the same thing for older carburetted cars lile the m800. All the cars start with a single crank.
100kmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Anyway, thanks san_jayd for sharing with us that such an issue exist regarding the fuse box for the Pulse. Guess the same is applicable to the Micra and may be many other cars too that may have poorly designed fuse box cover.

One question though. Where did you give the car for the good wash? I guess you gave it outside the ASC or did it yourselves?
i stay near Ambattur, chennai there is a person near my home who does steam wash www.sigmacartech.com/ for Rs.750. After the wash i got my car to my home then only this problem started( i was not able to stop my car).
san_jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally while going he told me while doing water wash "Kindly donít spray water under the hood as water may get into the fuse box and you will face the same problemĒ.
"Even during the service they donít spray water under the hood for this problem"
Looks like the Renault K engines are unusually sensitive to water spray in the engine bay. There are multiple posts of Duster owners being warned of this in the Duster threads.

In fact if I recollect correctly, as part of the initial services, Renault is also doing engine bay coating/lamination with some owners having been charged while others for free.

Personally, my take is that the K series is a globally made and used engine across multiple continents (especially Gulf + Africa). WHY is it so sensitive to water spray? Is it a design flaw?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:06   #12

Hi guys,
Yesterday there was a heavy rain @ Pune. I drove my car in the rain I faced the same problem my car did not stop after the start/stop button is pressed .
So jumped stopped the car .

i faced the same problem every time its rains after sending my car to service also i get this problem.

Can anyone help me out.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th September 2013 at 14:34. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
san_jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Renault Pulse: Engine Start/Stop problem after car wash

Quote:
Modern cars have way too many electronics that can get completely messed up
Agreed that there are too many electronics in the modern day cars but I am sure they must be IP65/66 certified or following Automotive standards/IS stds related to water ingress allowable limits when such components are used in a vehicle.

In case of OP, maybe the person who washed the car must have used high pressure beyond permissible limits dislocating some connections or they might have been some pre existing electrical loose connections since the problem has reoccured due to water ingress.

I have personally have seen cleaning personnel spraying under the hood for my earlier Fiesta not directly but from below after jacking the car up. Never did the Fiesta had any starting problem after any wash from workshop.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote