Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st May 2013, 23:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Fiat Palio Diesel: Fuel Pump Gremlins

My friend owns a 2002 Fiat Palio diesel. It has been giving him excellent service till recently, with no major problems of any kind.

The diesel engine has a OE Delphi fuel pump fitted onto it for fuel injection. This pump has conked off and the garage people say:

(1) It has to be calibrated and the costs are Rs 35,000 for the job. It cannot be done at Nagpur (where the car is) and has to be taken to Mumbai

(2) Or else go for a new Delphi fuel pump. This costs Rs 65,000.

The car's resale value is something below Rs 50 K and so my friend says neither he can sell it now nor does it make business sense to go for the calibration or purchase of a new fuel pump.

The alternative left is look out for a donor car, from where the fuel pump can be retrieved at a reasonable cost and then sell this old Palio, after it becomes fit.

Would be on the lookout for suggestions and remedies.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:40   #2
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio Diesel: Fuel Pump Gremlins

If you want a brand new pump order it from the following website

Its run by a god sent guy for fiat owners

http://www.99rpm.com/diesel-injectio...b139fa577f2191

If you want a refurbished pump contact KAvA automobiles. I am sure they would have something and would sell it quiet a lesser price. Talk to vijaybhai who is the manager out there

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...le-mumbai.html (Fiat Spare Parts - Kava Automobile (Mumbai))
rikhav is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio Diesel: Fuel Pump Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

(1) It has to be calibrated and the costs are Rs 35,000 for the job.

(2) Or else go for a new Delphi fuel pump. This costs Rs 65,000.

The car's resale value is something below Rs 50 K and so my friend says neither he can sell it now nor does it make business sense to go for the calibration or purchase of a new fuel pump.
Does he intend to sell it or retain it? If he does intend to sell it, then he would be pocketing Rs 15K as per your valuation. Better still just scrap it in an as is condition and pocket whatever you profit from it.

Repair only if he intends to hold on to it for longer periods.
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Diesel: Fuel Pump Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Does he intend to sell it or retain it? If he does intend to sell it, then he would be pocketing Rs 15K as per your valuation. Better still just scrap it in an as is condition and pocket whatever you profit from it.

Repair only if he intends to hold on to it for longer periods.
The car is to be sold, but my friend says he will sell it in a running condition only. If there is no other way out the car may have to be scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
If you want a brand new pump order it from the following website

Its run by a god sent guy for fiat owners

http://www.99rpm.com/diesel-injectio...b139fa577f2191

If you want a refurbished pump contact KAvA automobiles. I am sure they would have something and would sell it quiet a lesser price. Talk to vijaybhai who is the manager out there

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...le-mumbai.html (Fiat Spare Parts - Kava Automobile (Mumbai))
Thanks Rikhav for the help. I will use the links to get further information and then go ahead.

The first link puts the cost of the new fuel pump at Rs 57000/- odd. That's hence ruled out. I am mailing to M/S Kava Automobiles, Mumbai ( Mr Vijay Bhai Sheth for assistance. Maybe some reasonable offer comes along.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd May 2013 at 20:34.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:34   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Diesel: Fuel Pump Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car is to be sold, but my friend says he will sell it in a running condition only. If there is no other way out the car may have to be scrapped.

Thanks Rikhav for the help. I will use the links to get further information and then go ahead.

The first link puts the cost of the new fuel pump at Rs 57000/- odd. That's hence ruled out. I am mailing to M/S Kava Automobiles, Mumbai ( Mr Vijay Bhai Sheth for assistance. Maybe some reasonable offer comes along.

Hi
Just give a call straight away to Vijay Bhai. I dont think with mails you will get a quick reply

Alternatively there are these dealers in Kurla area of mumbai who salvage running parts from cars being scrapped. One such guy is Bhartiya Automobiles
You can check with him if he has any fuel pump for the 1.9 engine

But to be frank it will be a little risky as you are in different city but if someone you know can go and check the pump and then make the payment it will be good
Also I am sure he will quote a little more (if he has it) as a new pump costs a bomb, so you will need to bargain a little
Let me know if i can be of any help

Bhartiya Automobiles
Shop No E-3, C.S.T. Road
Behind Kurla Bus Depot
Mumbai - 400 070
9867070419 / 9987118401 / 26508530

Riyaz Ahmed and Imtiyaz Ahmed
rikhav is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote