Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd May 2013, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Default Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,000

Hi,

The bulb that illuminates the odometer on my type-1 2005 Endeavour has fused. It's impossible to see the odometer or the trip meter in the dark. The guys at the FRC (Ford rip-off center) say that its IMPOSSIBLE to replace the bulb and that the only way out (if I want to see the odometer at night) is to buy a new instrument cluster @ Rs. 25000 !!!

Anyone out here who can guide me step-by-step in replacing this light bulb?

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2013 at 10:30.
darxide is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:50   #2
BHPian

Default re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,000

I am sure most of our bhp-ians would agree that the response you got from the FRC (ford rip-off center) is not only a standard way of answering but also an easy (on their part) and expensive (on our pocket) solution. It is common with any A.S.S

You always have a solution. I suggest you to check a workshop manual (if you have one already or try to download one) and get to the cluster section. I guess the bulbs can be replaced. I have changed bulbs, colored it and then again removed the color and all that on my Baleno.

Your challenge here is to get your hands on the cluster, remove the bulb (if it is push-pin type) and take the bulb to a local spares store to get a new one. Then, you know what to do. However, I am sure you can build your own LED as well. Experts should be able to point you.

See if you can find something in this link. [Mods: Please remove link if it is against the rules.]

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-interio...t78185-15.html

Good luck @darxide

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2013 at 10:31. Reason: Removing quoted post as it's been edited
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,000

Imo what the FROC told is pure garbage!

You can easily replace the bulbs behind the console. They are usually of the T10 Socket type bulb rated between .5W - 3W depending on the location. Some bulbs can be replaced with the plastic base.

Take the car to a good independent mechanic. The same bulbs can be replaced for under Rs200.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2013 at 10:31. Reason: Removing quoted post as it's been edited
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 02:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Take the car to a good independent mechanic. The same bulbs can be replaced for under Rs 200.
Does the dashboard need to be removed to replace these or only the speedometer console?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Does the dashboard need to be removed to replace these or only the speedometer console?

Anurag.

it seems to be just part of the instrument cover that needs to be removed. it's that horrid looking fake wood thing around the speedometer. anyway that seems to be the OK part. im concerned about if i'll be able to get the right type of bulb and if the bulbs are easy to remove as in if they are plug in type(?)
Attached Images

darxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
I'm concerned about if i'll be able to get the right type of bulb and if the bulbs are easy to remove as in if they are plug in type(?)
About getting the speedometer console removed and re-fit the mechanic will take care, hope so you have a good mechanic in line.

Regarding the bulbs it will be pretty easy to find and lay hands on. It will be plug in type without any modifications needed.

Is your car under warranty?

EDIT: Just take a look at this thread that was started and discussed a little while back. It is dormant now but try and ping the owners and try and find what can be done to solve your problem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-repair-2.html (Odometer / Instrument Cluster Repair?)
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd May 2013 at 03:33. Reason: Adding a link
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, I did have a bulb in my Santro's instrument cluster replaced once. The steering wheel had to be removed, but other than that there was no problem. There's just one thing though: When the console facia is removed, the speedo cable will most likely be disconnected. Make sure it is fitted back correctly. In my case I drove for a day without knowing which speeds I was driving at - kinda creepy if you are habituated to glancing at the speedo every now and then. The cable was found to be worn and was replaced, and thereafter it was all fine.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

Try searching google and also international forums. Its sold in a couple of countries and known as the Ford Everest. I think it should be possible.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:38   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Endeavour's Odometer Bulb busted. Ford says to replace the entire console for 25,

My Safari TCIC local garage electrician used to change the speedo bulbs without even removing the meter console - used to do it just by getting his hand to the back of the console - Don't know how sealed / accessible the Endy Odo is though.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Am sure there should be a simpler / cheaper way to replace a fused bulb instead of spending 25 grand to get the whole console replaced.

BTW, this is akin to what I was told by the TVS service-centre when I wanted them to fix the odometer on our Scooty (Speedometer works, but odometer is stuck). He said there was no way to fix the odometer and the only way is to change the full display unit which will cost 2.5K. Which isn't funny because our 2001 Scooty will today at best fetch few thousand rupees in resale.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd May 2013 at 12:13.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Look for Ford Ranger or Everest or Mazda B-Series, they are the Endeavour in our markets. This should help I think!

What the Ford A.S.S is saying is rubbish, if you can escalate this matter to Ford's Customer Care, it should help!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46290

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=171376
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Did you escalate to Ford India?
Tell them the service center is taking you for a ride, let's see what they have to say...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful! believe me, Ford are not the only ones who do this. The Climate control bulb in my Baleno was not glowing so in the night when the AC is switched on there was no way to figure out if it was on (by looking at it). Went to the MASS and was told the whole panel needed to be replaced (Which if i remember correctly was upwards of 10K).

Thereafter went to the next door mechanic and although he took his time in opening the unit and then looking for a good replacement bulb (i.e. the cat had to be left with him for 2 full says). Total damage was less than 500Rs. That too because he spent decent amount of time searching for the replacement bulb otherwise it would have been cheaper than that.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I have changed bulbs, colored it and then again removed the color and all that on my Baleno.
Slightly OT. I had the Santro bulbs changed at the dealer's workshop but the new ones don't have the colored sleeves so glow yellow instead of green, which isn't so pretty. I am really keen to know what kind of paint you put on your bulbs & also why you decided take the paint off. TIA.
BTW, in the Santro, the turning indicator bulbs on the fenders fit perfectly into instrument console but glow a little brighter than the originals. Had these in for a few months before going to the company workshop to get the originals.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 15:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
im concerned about if i'll be able to get the right type of bulb and if the bulbs are easy to remove as in if they are plug in type(?)
Bulbs used in a vehicle should be listed in the owners manual / handbook itself. And bulbs should be standard sizes. Did you check the book ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote