Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2014, 13:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Spark Plugs for CNG cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
For petrol engines, i guess the spark plug gap is around 1-1.1 mm. Too large a gap can lead to engine misfiring .For CNG/LPG the gap is to be reduced by 0.2 mm.
@ Suresh
Since the OP was was CNG, have quoted the gap for CNG.

Again, gap is different for different brands. In Ikon, the gap was 1.2 mm while the Petrol Zen at home has a gap of 1.0mm.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:46   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Spark Plugs for CNG cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_2_drive View Post
I am not sure about the coil. Is it an expensive affair to get the same replaced?
The WagonR F10 had 2 ignition coils, one each for a pair of cylinders. These were mounted on top of the tappet cover, and had to be removed to access the spark plugs.

I remember paying about 1600bucks for one coil (it said TVS-Lucas, cant say if it was genuine) in the local market, about a couple of years back. I bought them from a trusted spare part shop, and didn't bother to check up MGP prices. It worked very well for me.

I was also facing this problem of spark plugs needing replacement very frequently and the engine stalling with a loud 'phatt' sound on gas at low rpm.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
@ Suresh
Since the OP was was CNG, have quoted the gap for CNG.

Again, gap is different for different brands. In Ikon, the gap was 1.2 mm while the Petrol Zen at home has a gap of 1.0mm.
A large gap can lead to misfires. What happens if the gap is less than recommended value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The WagonR F10 had 2 ignition coils, one each for a pair of cylinders. These were mounted on top of the tappet cover, and had to be removed to access the spark plugs.

I remember paying about 1600bucks for one coil (it said TVS-Lucas, cant say if it was genuine) in the local market, about a couple of years back. I bought them from a trusted spare part shop, and didn't bother to check up MGP prices. It worked very well for me.

I was also facing this problem of spark plugs needing replacement very frequently and the engine stalling with a loud 'phatt' sound on gas at low rpm.
This is the exact problem that I am facing. Bang On!!

Looks like time to get the coil checked. Thanks

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd July 2014 at 14:04.
liv_2_drive is offline   Reply With Quote