Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th May 2013, 10:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Fixes for disappointing performance after engine change?

Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That's what I suspect...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:05   #17
Default Re: Fixes for disappointing performance after engine change?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm sorry it took me so long to get around to updating this thread, but I've been so busy with pre-moving chores that I didn't have the time to get the car seen to until a few days ago. I ended up taking the car to Rajender at GK-II M-block market, instead of Imtiaz (see below for the full story, not really relevant to this thread).

Rajender wasn't able to find anything mechanically wrong with the engine after a full day's tinkering, so he took it to be scanned "by computer". Apparently some sensor was malfunctioning, so he replaced (or fixed) it. I asked what sensor it was, but he just said "speed sensor", and I didn't press for details. I don't know what sensor he could have meant (the throttle position sensor is the obvious choice, I suppose).

(One possible clue: at idle, the engine's speed used to "bounce" from about 700 to 950 RPM, and Rajender said that was the root of the problem. Does that ring any bells for anyone?)

Anyway, whatever he did to the unknown sensor, it's made a definite difference to the engine's behaviour. The sluggishness at low RPM has disappeared, and though I still feel that there's something missing compared to the original engine's performance, it's much less noticeable than before. I'll be shifting to Uttarakhand in a couple of days, so I'll know for sure how the engine copes with the climb, but I'm very hopeful. Of course, I only got the car back today, so I don't know yet if it's stopped guzzling petrol as well.

Aside (the story of Imtiaz):

I called Imtiaz at the number given in the Team-BHP directory, and he asked me to bring the car to him on the 15th. I asked if he was sure (it being a holiday and all that), and he said yes. Foolishly, I did not call to confirm before going there on the 15th morning, and I arrived to find the whole place empty. I asked a barber on the pavement if he knew where Imtiaz was, and he said "Imtiaz mechanic to bahut pehle Saudi chale gaye hain" (translation: Imtiaz the mechanic went to Saudi long ago). So I called Imtiaz (or whoever answers the phone with Imtiaz's number!) and he said he had to go to his village for some emergency, and that I should come back a few days later. Unfortunately, I was pressed for time, so I called Rajender and arranged for him to look at the car instead.
Xeisae9a is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote