Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th May 2006, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Default Loss in power at low RPM

In last few months I am facing problem of loosing power in lower RPMs.
My car runs on pertol and LPG both (Power loss problem in both fuels)

My car didnt have RPM meter but approximatly below 1000rpm the car seems like dead, it cant pull, then I have to turn off the AC and some tiomes I have to drive by using clutch.

My Car: matiz
Kms run: 73K+
Maintenance: Done in regular intervals

Parts replaced to overcome this problem: Clutch plate, pressureplate and bearing all in clutch assembly, This was first time replacement

Trottle pressure sensor also swapped with other car still there is no improovement

FE also increased due to this problem
My Matiz expert mechanic got two codes says 0110 and 6130 from car by using some method

0110 is related to cooling fan (Its working fine ne issues with fan in running)
06130 is related to some inlet air temp like that

one more obeservation, If I press the accelerator with full pressure car cant pull, in this case put light pressure on pedal then car zooms out (This is at approx 2000RPM)

even Injector cleaning done, spark plugs replaced, for LPG kit diaphrome also replaced along with one small filter.

None of the workshop person is able to provide solution for this problem in my city. Intially I was planning to keep this car for city driving(Or wife's routine work) after getting new car in next month but now I am in mood to sell this car.

Can any one help me in this case(Power lossin low RPM's),
Sri_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 01:15   #2
BHPian

Do you face lack of power mostly when AC is On and you are at near idle rpms? I had the same problem with City and it turned out to be bad AC compressor.
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 23:24   #3
BHPian

No even with out AC also I face these problems, not only in city on highways also I cant overtake a single vehicle untill I shift the gear (On highway I am shifting to fifth at 90kmph, then also it lacks power).

Now I have one doubt in my mind I was replaced timing belt at 65K as preventive maintenance after that on wards I am facing this problem.

Is there any relation with timing belt to pick up of car?
Sri_009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
Do you face lack of power mostly when AC is On and you are at near idle rpms? I had the same problem with City and it turned out to be bad AC compressor.
Hey Pankaj,

I'm facing the same problem with OHC VTEC. It hesitates to move further untill 3000 RPM. Beyond that it revs clean.

Could you please share the details of where did you get it changed and how much did it cost?
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Yes, timing belt if not properly set then will give wrong timing and hence a power loss. You can check that first.

Otherwise, have you done a compression check of the engine, see if its ok. If not you might have to go for a minor engine overhaul of piston rings, head gasket etc. Also is there any signs of oil consumption or smoke from the exhaust?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes, timing belt if not properly set then will give wrong timing and hence a power loss. You can check that first.

Otherwise, have you done a compression check of the engine, see if its ok. If not you might have to go for a minor engine overhaul of piston rings, head gasket etc. Also is there any signs of oil consumption or smoke from the exhaust?
1. I don't see any smoke from the exhaust.
2. There is no oil leakage from the engine head.
3. Car doesn't get over heated.
4. Good torque when driving uphill in higher gears.

The engine revs healthy when the AC is off.

Mine is a Prior Sept 2002 model which came with a faulty ECM , could that be a problem?

If so, would it be wise to get it changed or to live with it?
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Oops sorry i didnt check the post date and then replied to sri.

@ Vtec: In your case what check have you done, have you taken it to the dealer for a diagnosis?

Yes earlier ECU's were reported to have a problem and was replaced. I guess it can be the case in your car also. So get the car checked at the dealer itself and try to see if anything can be done reg the ECU, if that is the case.

Reg AC compressor a faulty clutch can create similar problems, IIRC that costs 18k and a new compressor some 35 grand.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Oops sorry i didnt check the post date and then replied to sri.

@ Vtec: In your case what check have you done, have you taken it to the dealer for a diagnosis?

Yes earlier ECU's were reported to have a problem and was replaced. I guess it can be the case in your car also. So get the car checked at the dealer itself and try to see if anything can be done reg the ECU, if that is the case.

Reg AC compressor a faulty clutch can create similar problems, IIRC that costs 18k and a new compressor some 35 grand.
Woah! That's gonna cost a bomb. Will check if anything can be done by the dealer. Are you aware of a good place where they do a thorough diagnostics for Honda.

I'm really not happy getting it done with the dealer.
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Take it to a dealer, diagnostics will not cost much. They are the best bet with proper tools. People like Race Dynamics also might be able to help you in bangalore.
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine revs healthy when the AC is off.
Dont worry, its a common prob with the OHC. I have a 2001 VTEC and have also driven the ones with the new ECU and they behave similarly with the A/C on.

Get the engine compression checked though. That will give you a fair idea of the engine's condition.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd June 2010 at 22:35.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Take it to a dealer, diagnostics will not cost much. They are the best bet with proper tools. People like Race Dynamics also might be able to help you in bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Dont worry, its a common prob with the OHC. I have a 2001 VTEC and have also driven the ones with the new ECU and they behave similarly with the A/C on.

Get the engine compression checked though. That will give you a fair idea of the engine's condition.

Shan2nu
Thanks guys. Will get it done ASAP. Would you recommend showroom folks or is there a place in Bangalore where I could get it done where I would get a honest feedback rather than a replacement suggestion.

Is there any other ways to reduce the ac lag? (Apart from not running the AC ) I don't feel the lag in the new cars now, Esp. on a diesel. No power lag on my swift & Verna (Both diesel).
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't feel the lag in the new cars now, Esp. on a diesel. No power lag on my swift & Verna (Both diesel).
Thats bcoz diesels produce loads of torque at very low revs.

OHC VTEC does 132nm@4700rpm where as the Swift D and Verna D do 190nm@2000rpm and 235nm@1900rpm respectively.

But once you get into the higher side of the revband, the VTEC should be able to accelerate smoothly. But i wouldn't recommend revving beyond 3500rpm with the A/C on. For spirited driving, its better to have the A/C switched off.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 3rd June 2010 at 15:59.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote